Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overgassing in hot weather temperatures?

Feedback Score
    I’ll try to install a H2 buffer to see what happens. I wasn’t aware that powders can be so temperature sensitive.

I must say I’m surprised that this DDM4 feels overgassed. It’s a V9, so it has 16” barrel with midlength gas system and 0.073” gas port according to DD, and H buffer. This is actually a bit smaller than the standard 0.076” midlength gas port on BCM and the likes, but when firing 5.56 ammo, it’s got a pretty solid kick, not unmanageable but noticeably more than my friend’s rifle firing the same ammo when I shot this weekend. His upper has a BA barrel with 0.078” gas port, and he’s using a carbine buffer. And his gun ejects at consistent 3 o’clock, while mine is 2 o’clock.

I’m pretty baffled, to tell you the truth. On paper my rifle should shoot softer, but it doesn’t, and feels overpassed.

EDIT: Just to clarify, his barrel is also 16" like mine.
    Last edited by ta0117; 07-27-21 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Next time out together, try swapping BCGs.

Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    I’ll try to install a H2 buffer to see what happens. I wasn’t aware that powders can be so temperature sensitive.

I must say I’m surprised that this DDM4 feels overgassed. It’s a V9, so it has 16” barrel with midlength gas system and 0.073” gas port according to DD, and H buffer. This is actually a bit smaller than the standard 0.076” midlength gas port on BCM and the likes, but when firing 5.56 ammo, it’s got a pretty solid kick, not unmanageable but noticeably more than my friend’s rifle firing the same ammo when I shot this weekend. His upper has a BA barrel with 0.078” gas port, and he’s using a carbine buffer. And his gun ejects at consistent 3 o’clock, while mine is 2 o’clock.

I’m pretty baffled, to tell you the truth. On paper my rifle should shoot softer, but it doesn’t, and feels overpassed.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    This advice would have saved a good amount of trouble a time or two.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do you suspect the BCG of the soft-shooting gun is leaking gas?

Feedback Score
    We both have mil-spec phosphate M16 BCGs, so it shouldn’t make a difference, but I’ll give it a try.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does your accuracy suffer in hotter weather? I am curious why you are concerned if the ammunition feels hotter in higher temperature weather, but the carbine runs 100% and is accurate.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not all mil-spec BCGs are created equal.

What brand is the BCG on the BA barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    We both have mil-spec phosphate M16 BCGs, so it shouldn’t make a difference, but I’ll give it a try.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Does your accuracy suffer in hotter weather? I am curious why you are concerned if the ammunition feels hotter in higher temperature weather, but the carbine runs 100% and is accurate.
    Knew a precision shooter down in AZ. No BS, dude had a 12v ARB fridge for his ammo. Said there was significant POI shift with hot ammo, hard to be consistent.

I guess I just ain't a good enough shot to notice.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Not all mil-spec BCGs are created equal.

What brand is the BCG on the BA barrel?
    His BCG is Aero Precision phosphate M16. His barrel is apparently midlength with 0.078” gas port and is also 16".
    Last edited by ta0117; 07-27-21 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Knew a precision shooter down in AZ. No BS, dude had a 12v ARB fridge for his ammo. Said there was significant POI shift with hot ammo, hard to be consistent.

I guess I just ain't a good enough shot to notice.
    When I competed in High Power, increased temperatures raised the POI significantly for me at 600 yards. When I reloaded with Varget, I noticed temperature had less affect on POI shift. In temperatures above 80 degrees, I kept my ammunition and loaded magazines in a cooler with a towel draped over it.

I shot my carbine this afternoon with Federal M193 and iron sights. The temperature was 90 degrees at the range and the POI was 1-1/4" higher at 100 yards than the entry in my logbook on a 40 degree day. From 0 degrees to 104 degrees I have not noticed any reliability issues. That is why I asked the OP if he was concerned about reliability or accuracy.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast