Thread: Point of impact shift with/without suppressor

Feedback Score

Point of impact shift with/without suppressor

Hi all, so I have a Silencerco Omega 300 that I bought as a do all rifle can with the plan in mind that I could switch it between a few of my rifles and suppress multiple rifles with this can. I plan on using it on my 10.3 build, 16 inch middy, as well as on my Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. So far with taking the can on and off the 10.3 it hasn’t affected combat accuracy much and the gun is still “point and shoot” with adding the can on the 10.3. I know that adding the suppressor will affect point of impact and that will be even more noticeable on my 700 which is my long range precision setup. I have the silencerco ASR mount on the can as well as the silencerco ASR brake on the 700. So my question is if I were to zero the 700 WITH the Omega 300 on the rifle, take it off for use on one of my ARs and then put it back on the 700, would I or should I expect a change of zero? Sorry for the long post I get OCD about my zeroes lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a1madrid; 07-20-21 at 00:53.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I never experienced a shift of any note in almost the identical scenario to yours. Of course, ymmv.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would expect a shift of some form, though by how much would be a large guess. I’ve found exceedingly small shifts with some cans, and larger shifts with others. I’ve also found the ammo used can come into play as well. Whether or not the shift is large enough to matter to you is the larger question.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I never saw an appreciable shift in zero after reattaching my Omega on a long range rifle. There are other factors at play besides the can itself (attachment method, ammo, etc).

I will add than I used the direct thread option for bolt guns and and Key-Mo system for semi autos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I never saw an appreciable shift in zero after reattaching my Omega on a long range rifle. There are other factors at play besides the can itself (attachment method, ammo, etc).

I will add than I used the direct thread option for bolt guns and and Key-Mo system for semi autos.
    I’m using the ASR mount with the ASR brake and shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain Sierra Matchking. All of that will stay consistent I’m not switching any of that. How much zero shift have you seen from zeroing with the can on the rifle, and then once you put the can back on after having taken it off? 1 inch at 100 yards is 10 inches at 1,000 yards. That’s the way I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I would expect a shift of some form, though by how much would be a large guess. I’ve found exceedingly small shifts with some cans, and larger shifts with others. I’ve also found the ammo used can come into play as well. Whether or not the shift is large enough to matter to you is the larger question.
    How much shift are you talking about at 100? Less than an inch? I’m using the ASR mount with the ASR brake. I’m shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain Sierra Matchking factory load. All of that will stay consistent. I’m just wondering if it’s even worth taking the can off the 700 if it’s gonna move zero because then what’s the point of using it as a suppressed “precision rifle” if the zero is gonna shift every time I put the can back on. I want it to be a zero I can trust by just putting the can back on and shooting the rifle without having to worry about it. A 1 MOA shift is about 10 inches at 1,000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I use an Omega 300 on multiple platforms like you are planning on doing. I do not notice a change of zero when reattaching the suppressor to my R700 6.5 Creedmoor, or my Rem 40X 6.5 Creedmoor, or any of the AR 15 variants it also gets used on. As stated above of course YMMV.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Imperceptible to me when removed and reattached. Omega 9k, WC Whisper 308, and Specwar 556k. But they’re not on precision rigs.
    Suppressed vs unsuppressed is a different story.