Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have an optic: Need a gun

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Have an optic: Need a gun

I got a Vortex Gen 3 with a Scalarworks mount in. I was thinking of doing an 11.5” SBR for it but is it silly putting a 10 power SFP scope on that? I figured, since there’s no size or weight penalty compared to the Gen 2, it didn’t make sense to not get the Gen 3.

My usual gun is a MK18 with an Eotech or magnifier but I want to branch out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not silly at all. Even an 11.5 can reach out. The question is if you, your weapon, and your ammo are precise enough to make good use of that range. There's no correlation between barrel length and accuracy though, at least within reason. Hypothetically, shorter barrels have more potential because they're stiffer for the same profile. That could be significant with a suppressor hanging off the end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on what you want to do, there’s some benefit to shooting at distance with a short gun. It will make you more aware of wind, and if you’re on an unknown distance range its pretty unforgiving of ranging error. If you like shooting small targets the magnification makes a lot of sense regardless of distance. One of my friends has a Razor on an 11 inch build, and he cleans up shooting the small sized Shoot and Sees at distance.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I got a Vortex Gen 3 with a Scalarworks mount in. I was thinking of doing an 11.5” SBR for it but is it silly putting a 10 power SFP scope on that? I figured, since there’s no size or weight penalty compared to the Gen 2, it didn’t make sense to not get the Gen 3.

Nothing wrong with it at all, the higher magnification gives you better target ID. Nothing says you need to run around with the magnification cranked all the way up all the time. Mine are left at 1x, I don’t change it until it’s needed.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Cool. Thanks guys. Guess I’ll grab the 11.5 upper I’ve been eyeing up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BCM also has some of the KD4 uppers in stock. That optic would be right at home on one of those.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by methical20 View Post
    BCM also has some of the KD4 uppers in stock. That optic would be right at home on one of those.
    Funny you mention that because that was my plan. But he posted classes today for 2022 and I’m taking carbine and pistol with him next year.

If I took the scoped rifle class, I’d be mimicking his setup exactly with his upper and the Gen 3 and it’d be perfect but for the carbine class I’m not going to want to be slinging around a heavy 16” gun.

Still, I can move optics around and add that KD4 upper but right now I’m thinking of a setup that’ll give me the most capability for the class and passing the qual.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Cool. Thanks guys. Guess I’ll grab the 11.5 upper I’ve been eyeing up.
    Sounds like you have an upper in mind, but I was going to say consider a 12.5" IMO it is the sweet spot for a 5.56 SBR/pistol.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Sounds like you have an upper in mind, but I was going to say consider a 12.5" IMO it is the sweet spot for a 5.56 SBR/pistol.
    Well I was going to do a BCM 11.5. Really, I’d get a KAC 11.5 upper but so hard to get. BCM does 12.5s too I think but not sure if any are in stock.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Well I was going to do a BCM 11.5. Really, I’d get a KAC 11.5 upper but so hard to get. BCM does 12.5s too I think but not sure if any are in stock.
    One my of 12.5" was a BCM KINO. Cool little gun if you like an FSB. I build the other one using a Criterion Core barrel.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 07-20-21 at 19:38.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast