Thread: WOA Predator barrel cut down opinion?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

WOA Predator barrel cut down opinion?

I'm wanting to send a 16" WOA Predator barrel https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/223...ld-875-16.html to ADCO to have them cut it down to 14.5 and pin on a Surefire Warcomp. I'm wanting to build a somewhat lightweight pinned 16" build for HD and distance shooting up to 300 yards sometimes. Kinda a jack of all traits in a minimal way. I know WOA makes some nice barrels so I saw this Predator barrel and plan to have them also do their SDM fluting. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sdm...as-system.html

The only thing I don't understand about their barrels is why they use a .875 gas block and I was wondering how this would limit my rail choices. Right now I'm pretty set on getting a Geissele Super Modular MK4.

Update: So I just got off the phone with WOA about seeing if they offer this barrel in 14.5 or if they would cut it. I was told NO they do/will not and also that they do not recommend cutting it down as if I did it would be "greatly under gassed" and they couldn't guarantee cycling. Should I abandon the WOA Predator 14.5 idea or should I go forward and see if ADCO can also open up the port size if needed?

Other option is eliminate all the headache and get a Match Faxon Gunner .223 Wylde in 14.5 and just pin on the Warcomp.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That will be a heavy barrel, even with fluting. Cutting it down a bit isn't going to help that as much as a lighter profile to start with. Just get a different 16" or 14.5" barrel for your build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    That will be a heavy barrel, even with fluting. Cutting it down a bit isn't going to help that as much as a lighter profile to start with. Just get a different 16" or 14.5" barrel for your build
    The barrel even though it is a heavy barrel in comparison would still be sub 2lb. @ 16" it would be dead on at 2lbs with the fluting. But I'm not 100% sure all the work to it would be worth the effort...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why not just get the 16" SDM and be done? 2.1lbs. And you even save 5 bucks over the Predator + fluting. I'm not into pin & welds.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/16-...1-7-twist.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    The barrel even though it is a heavy barrel in comparison would still be sub 2lb. @ 16" it would be dead on at 2lbs with the fluting. But I'm not 100% sure all the work to it would be worth the effort...
    Contact Frank at Compass Lake and have them do it all.

Supply the barrel (or blank), chamber it however you want, flute it however you want, pin / weld it, etc. They can do anything you can dream up and it will be done right...

CLE chambers are generally a tiny bit more accurate than the Wylde stuff as well.

2lbs is not that bad for a barrel. My 16" bull barrels usually come in right at 3lbs on the money with nothing on them but the barrel extension. (no gas block, no muzzle device, etc.)

If you really want to go all out - Send it off and have it cryo treated when you get it back from CLE. Diversified Cryogenics or CryoPlus are both good to go for stuff like that (have used both for various items - great service at either place).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think you putting in WAAAYYYYY too much effort into your 14.5 build.

If this gun isn't getting a steady diet of mk262 or handholds; go buy what ever chrome or nitride barrel you want in the proper length, P&W, and call it a day.

Also; 14.5 itself is kinda pointless. I chased that rabbit hole; and that barrel is sitting in the safe with no upper now. It's a Faxon gunner match 14.5. You can have it for a low price. It actually loves 55gr FMj.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Cutting a button broached barrel may or may not result in concentric barrel at the new crown. Must likely it I will work, but it is not automatic and you make end up with a wasted price fir steel.

Best case you will also want to re-contour the barrel and reduce the a gas journal and modify the gas port size.

I would start a new barrel unless there is an overwhelming reason to modify an existing barrel.