Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating A New IFAK - Opinions Appreciated

Feedback Score

Question Creating A New IFAK - Opinions Appreciated

Hi everyone,

I am a USMC veteran in the process of starting my own tactical gear company, Argonauts Tactical™. However, before I do I need the help from you guys, the tactical gear community.

Having come from a Combined Anti-Armor Team (CAAT) platoon which, operates primarily in Humvees, I am all too familiar with the back pain associated with wearing a plate carrier in a vehicle as well as the awkwardness of having a bulky IFAK sticking off you as you try to get into/out of and maneuver inside the vehicle. I am currently developing an IFAK that would be placed on the small of your back and act as lumbar support and can be easily removed to be deployed. Not only does it help with those who operate in a vehicle to give proper back support, but it also keeps it out of the way for optimal mobility when on foot.

I have two requests, both of which are primarily for patrol officers, private security, or any other armed professional whose job it is to wear a plate carrier while operating in a vehicle, however, opinions from the community as a whole would also be greatly appreciated:

First, as a general question, is this concept something you guys would be interested in?

Second, I have a questionnaire prepared specifically about your usages of IFAKs. It is 12 questions long and should take about 10 minutes of your time if you are willing.

I can be contacted here on the forum, through direct messaging, and my email at argonautstactical@gmail.com

I greatly appreciate all of your time. Thank you!

- Steven

To any moderators: if I have submitted this post in a wrong channel please let me know which channel would be the most appropriate so that I may correct the mistake asap.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Former mil and current LEO here. I hate anything on the small of my back. It is extremely uncomfortable when sitting in a patrol vehicle and it causes back pain over time.

I would like to see a slim IFAK hemorrhage dedicated belt pouch. Most of the dedicated mini belt pouches out there are still too large. I'd like to see one that is configurable to either horizontal or vertical positioning, easily deployable, and lightweight. Large enough to carry a double compact chest seal, compressed hemostatic gauze, and standard compressed gauze. I have used those three things and a TQ on the job more than any other medical item.

More prolonged care items would be carried in a larger med kit on a grunts kit, pack, or in an officer's vehicle. I want to control hemorrhaging first and the ability to do it quickly is paramount.

The closest I have found to these criteria is the Eleven 10/Clear MBOK. I currently carry those items in a Phlster pocket sleeve but will be trying the MBOK here soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    Former mil and current LEO here. I hate anything on the small of my back. It is extremely uncomfortable when sitting in a patrol vehicle and it causes back pain over time.

I would like to see a slim IFAK hemorrhage dedicated belt pouch. Most of the dedicated mini belt pouches out there are still too large. I'd like to see one that is configurable to either horizontal or vertical positioning, easily deployable, and lightweight. Large enough to carry a double compact chest seal, compressed hemostatic gauze, and standard compressed gauze. I have used those three things and a TQ on the job more than any other medical item.

More prolonged care items would be carried in a larger med kit on a grunts kit, pack, or in an officer's vehicle. I want to control hemorrhaging first and the ability to do it quickly is paramount.

The closest I have found to these criteria is the Eleven 10/Clear MBOK. I currently carry those items in a Phlster pocket sleeve but will be trying the MBOK here soon.
    Awesome, thank you for your input!

Out of curiosity, how is it that you typically carry your gear and armor while you're out on patrol? Do you do the armored shirt with a load carrying vest over it, a prefabricated armored vest, or a plate carrier?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonautsTac View Post
    Awesome, thank you for your input!

Out of curiosity, how is it that you typically carry your gear and armor while you're out on patrol? Do you do the armored shirt with a load carrying vest over it, a prefabricated armored vest, or a plate carrier?
    We are not authorized external molle/pals armor carriers unless you are in a specialized unit that approves them. Our soft armor is either concealed or in a Blauer ArmorSkin carrier. We have a separate plate carrier w/ rifle plates if needed for a critical incident or high risk incident; which is dumb we can wear it for that but not for daily patrol to carry soft armor and to spread out weight between carrier and belt. Screw our skeletal health.

Feedback Score
    We are not authorized external molle/pals armor carriers unless you are in a specialized unit that approves them. Our soft armor is either concealed or in a Blauer ArmorSkin carrier. We have a separate plate carrier w/ rifle plates if needed for a critical incident or high risk incident; which is dumb we can wear it for that but not for daily patrol to carry soft armor and to spread out weight between carrier and belt. Screw our skeletal health.
    Ah yes, sounds like that good ol' bureaucratic, "everybody must be uniform," rule that works for the one person who made the rule but not everyone else, or was made by someone who has never had to participate in the rule.

As for the dedicated hemorrhage pouch, I will absolutely look into that as well as I've noticed that dedicated pouches tend to be more all encompassing of a specific part of TCCC, at least from the ones I've seen. I think a "skeleton crew" of needed medical supplies for an in the moment event is a great idea.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here are links to three IFAK pouches manufactured by S.O.Tech Tactical that appear to address your proposed project. I personally use the large one, Viper IFAK, A1. It holds all of my necessary blow-out components in a low profile configuration. I tried positioning it near the bottom of the rear plate carrier but it just doesn't feel comfortable enough when in a vehicle. I positioned it on the side cummerbund and am able to easily deploy the inner pouch with either hand.

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...ducts/vfifaka1

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...cts/vfifaka1le

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...ucts/vfifaka1b

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Here are links to three IFAK pouches manufactured by S.O.Tech Tactical that appear to address your proposed project. I personally use the large one, Viper IFAK, A1. It holds all of my necessary blow-out components in a low profile configuration. I tried positioning it near the bottom of the rear plate carrier but it just doesn't feel comfortable enough when in a vehicle. I positioned it on the side cummerbund and am able to easily deploy the inner pouch with either hand.

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...ducts/vfifaka1

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...cts/vfifaka1le

https://sotechtactical.com/collectio...ucts/vfifaka1b
    Interesting, thank you!

What about it makes it not feel comfortable enough when in a vehicle? is it too hard, not uniformly shaped, not in the right position or just not a good place for gear? What if it was slightly padded against your back?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm already doing something very similar, and I know of a couple other brands that are about to drop new med kit.

I have a few running around in the wild already; but I have been pretty bad about marketing them, or taking a ton of photos.

Hit my private messages if you want to talk specifics.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score

I’ve been carrying this one on my duty belt for a couple years. Holds a TQ and some quickklot and that’s about it. It’s on the small of my back and hasn’t given me any issues. It’s pretty small. Anything more than that and the pouch starts to get big.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/re...th-belt-molle/

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Make sure you do market research (beyond this thread). I think a few companies are doing something similar; you need to figure out how your is different, or better. Otherwise you become a "one of many".

I will email you re: IFAK survey. I won't put my bona fides here, but might be able to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast