Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Hotel Gun Possession

Feedback Score

Chicago Hotel Gun Possession

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/us/ke...est/index.html

Aggravated UUV?

Man traveling from A rifle, handgun and five mags.... and oh my GOD, he had a LASER. Also i'd like to know more about how it was suspiciously positioned. My guess was it was leaning up against the wall near the window.

So you can believe in the 2A or have a room with a nice view...

They were near a window "in a very suspicious position," Brown said. The employee "likely prevented a tragedy from happening," Brown said.
    "Because he was charged with mere possession and legally, here in our city, the charges weren't of the type that he could have been held. But luckily, he was questioned by the joint terrorism task force. He is now under radar screening of the FBI."
    Bolded to highlight Lightfoot's retardedness. Is he flying under their radar; that's bad.

A rifle, handgun, and five mags... Was he still unloading his car? My guess is that he is in trouble because of IL has their FOID card and was from out of state. Maybe a Chicago/Cook-county mag issue? He wasn't just passing through, he was staying, so the Fed protections aren't in force? You can bring guns if you are hunting or are engaged in a competition, IIRC?

When we used to travel out west, one area had a great public range with steel out past 1000y. How many guns can you fit into a soft sided golf travel bag? And 3k+ rounds, if you include 22s.

Interesting that they mentioned that with COVID, it seems that the housekeeping shouldn't have been in there? If that is what the guy was told, he should have an expectation of privacy and not have had to worry about securing the guns.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    OK, I am 100% well aware of all the issues with the current Chicago administration, and the generally hostile (but inconsistent) anti-gun attitude of Illinois in general. But there's some alleged facts that don't make a lot of sense. For background, here's that hotel:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=W+C...e+Hotel&ia=web

This is a tourist focused hotel in a nice part of Chicago. I used to live just blocks away from there. It's not a place you would stay while "passing through" on the way to another state, but a place for enjoying downtown activities.

From the CNN (barf) article:

Keegan Gregory Casteel, 32, is charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of weapons/loaded. He appeared in court Tuesday and was released after paying a portion of his $10,000 bond, according to court documents obtained by CNN.
    Police said there was a handgun and a loaded .308 caliber rifle "equipped with a laser and high-powered scope" in Casteel's hotel room. Five rifle magazines were also found, according to Casteel's arrest report.
    He's charged with a loaded weapon and the article claims the .308 rifle was loaded. I can see ordinary self-defense reasons to have a pistol anywhere (even where it's not legal, as it wouldn't be for him in Chicago), but a loaded rifle? Who travels with a rifle loaded? That puts you outside the safe harbor provisions of FOPA (which Illinois and Chicago may try to ignore anyway), and it also violates state law in a lot of midwestern states.

Judge David R. Navarro told Casteel Tuesday that he understands the man is permitted to possess firearms in his home state of Iowa, but added, "clearly we are not in Iowa."
    Casteel's permit doesn't allow him to carry or have his weapons in Chicago, prosecutors said.
    Casteel is scheduled to appear in court July 14 in Skokie, Illinois.
    Just some weirdness here. FOPA would apply to interstate travel if complying with FOPA requirements. Permits aren't relevant to rifles, and nothing in the article talks about the handgun specifically (probably just bad journalism).

And why is he going to court in Skokie??? That's a small inner-ring suburb, mostly known for being extremely anti-gun, and incidentally heavily Jewish.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Skokie,_Illinois

Chicago has its own courts, Illinois state courts have a huge operation within Chicago, and Skokie is not related to this incident in any way I can see. That's a really weird fact. Skokie is a long distance away from the incident location.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    OK, I am 100% well aware of all the issues with the current Chicago administration, and the generally hostile (but inconsistent) anti-gun attitude of Illinois in general. But there's some alleged facts that don't make a lot of sense. For background, here's that hotel:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=W+C...e+Hotel&ia=web

This is a tourist focused hotel in a nice part of Chicago. I used to live just blocks away from there. It's not a place you would stay while "passing through" on the way to another state, but a place for enjoying downtown activities.

From the CNN (barf) article:

He's charged with a loaded weapon and the article claims the .308 rifle was loaded. I can see ordinary self-defense reasons to have a pistol anywhere (even where it's not legal, as it wouldn't be for him in Chicago), but a loaded rifle? Who travels with a rifle loaded? That puts you outside the safe harbor provisions of FOPA (which Illinois and Chicago may try to ignore anyway), and it also violates state law in a lot of midwestern states.

Just some weirdness here. FOPA would apply to interstate travel if complying with FOPA requirements. Permits aren't relevant to rifles, and nothing in the article talks about the handgun specifically (probably just bad journalism).

And why is he going to court in Skokie??? That's a small inner-ring suburb, mostly known for being extremely anti-gun, and incidentally heavily Jewish.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Skokie,_Illinois

Chicago has its own courts, Illinois state courts have a huge operation within Chicago, and Skokie is not related to this incident in any way I can see. That's a really weird fact. Skokie is a long distance away from the incident location.
    Skokie has the northern office for the Cook County court system. 26 & California is generally super busy and used for those not on bail but coming from the jail across the street.

If this guy is just a clown, he should’ve just kept his stuff cased and out of sight. A handgun barely raises eyebrows anymore, even in chicago. If he was up to something nefarious, we’ll then he’s either an amateur or a patsy. Wait to see if the FBI gets involved for that answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Unless the 308 AR was in a tripod hogs head mount with a map and ranges marked on it, I really don't see the issue of the imminent mass attack.

Talk about not understanding 'gun people'. There are probably more than a few of us that roll 365 with more with them.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good thing they busted this guy because they probably would have had more than the 88 shot and 18 killed last weekend in Chicago. Yessiree, that is some mighty fine police work. Mayor Beetlejuice is proud, I am sure.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Skokie has the northern office for the Cook County court system. 26 & California is generally super busy and used for those not on bail but coming from the jail across the street.

If this guy is just a clown, he should’ve just kept his stuff cased and out of sight. A handgun barely raises eyebrows anymore, even in chicago. If he was up to something nefarious, we’ll then he’s either an amateur or a patsy. Wait to see if the FBI gets involved for that answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’ve been out of town for awhile. Good old 26th and cal. Are they in person now?

As the story trickles out there’s stupid all around.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    An Iowa resident does not need a FOID. A hotel room is your domicile, aka temporary residence, so having loaded firearms would not be a violation of the state criminal code. He was not transporting the firearms if they were in his hotel room, so I don't think Federal law would apply. If the court handling this case is in Skokie, it has to be a county or state charge.

I wouldn't leave anything I did not want stolen in a hotel room in Chicago, especially firearms.

This case does not smell right. I have a lot of questions.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-09-21 at 12:20.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    An Iowa resident does not need a FOID. A hotel room is your domicile, aka temporary residence, so having loaded firearms would not be a violation of the state criminal code. He was not transporting the firearms if they were in his hotel room, so I don't think Federal law would apply. If the court handling this case is in Skokie, it has to be a county or state charge.

I wouldn't leave anything I did not want stolen in a hotel room in Chicago, especially firearms.

This case does not smell right. I have a lot of questions.
    Not a Foid issue. It’s state UUW statute, misdemeanor.
    Also city ordinance, his items are subject to forfeiture due to classification.

He could make an argument, sure. But it wouldn’t be a strong one. And he’s looking at $30-50k just to get a good attorney. If he doesn’t want a PD.

Right now he should be hiring a good local attorney, and discussing with the SA how long they have to wait before the publicity dies down and he can get dismissed or probation, fine, and consider the arms lost.
    Last edited by thei3ug; 07-09-21 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thei3ug View Post
    Not a Foid issue. It’s state UUW statute, misdemeanor.
    Also city ordinance, his items are subject to forfeiture due to classification.

He could make an argument, sure. But it wouldn’t be a strong one. And he’s looking at $30-50k just to get a good attorney. If he doesn’t want a PD.

Right now he should be hiring a good local attorney, and discussing with the SA how long they have to wait before the publicity dies down and he can get dismissed or probation, fine, and consider the arms lost.
    Which section in the state criminal code prohibits having a loaded firearm in a hotel room.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm thinking this isn't the narrowly averted mass shooting that the media and Lightfoot are touting it to be. For starters, he was arrested at 6:45 PM on 7/4. If he was planning to shoot a bunch of people at a crowded beach, wouldn't it have happened in the afternoon when it's busiest?

To me it sounds like a guy who didn't want to leave his "truck gun" and EDC in the car in a leftist hellhole, so he brought them inside. Without more details, the "suspiciously placed rifle" could be as innocent as a guy leaning it against the wall next to the window (furthest from the door in most hotel suites). As someone else said, unless I hear that he had it in a tripod pointed at the beach, that's not suspicious.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast