Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First World Problems: What New AR for me?

Feedback Score

First World Problems: What New AR for me?

Ok, I’ve come into a bit of cash, about $1300, I can spend on a new gun if I want.

All of my niches in firearms are covered. ARs are the weakest, except long range precision.

For ARs I have:

Colt LT6720R w/ Vortex 1-4 LVPO
    Anderson AM15 w/ Vortex Strikefire II +3x Magnifier (I know, I know…)
    Stag Stag-15 7.5 Pistol w/ brace + Sig Romeo 5
    S&W M&P 15-22 w/ Sig Romeo 5

I don’t really think there is a hole there unless I want a better backup rifle…. And the Anderson has been fine.

My other options are something from the “long range precision” category, which I don’t really have anything…. But it would have to be in 30-06.

Or the “collectibles”, trying to find a Springfield M1903 or Enfield M1917 to go with the Garand and M1 Carbine.

Advice?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-24-21 at 03:50.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Always hard for me to give advice like this because there are so many folks with way more experience than myself but I will give it a shot.

What I would do if in your shoes is find, or wait till I could find a complete upper receiver from BCM or SOLGW that would make a awesome backup complete upper receiver to have. Dosen't have to be those 2 companies but let's say comparable to them.

This way in the future you can put together a dedicated lower for the upper and have a awesome backup AR or even a new primary AR.

Good luck 🤙

Feedback Score
    If your thinking long range, **** 30-06. Get an Ar10 setup in 6.5 Creedmore and call it a day.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seems you are need of a signature piece. I'd offload something to increase my budget for a KAC, SOLGW or a Triarc complete rifle. Or at least one of their uppers and go your own way with a lower.

Old classics are tempting, though.

My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    If your thinking long range, **** 30-06. Get an Ar10 setup in 6.5 Creedmore and call it a day.
    This, or .308. But really the 6.5CM makes more sense if you already have short-mid range covered.

But…. Why not a 9MM PCC like the Scorpion, Stribog, or GHM9.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Or the “collectibles”, trying to find a Springfield M1903 or Enfield M1917 to go with the Garand and M1 Carbine.

Advice?
    IMO, that is a good choice - at this point I believe your fun option would be to call the CMP stores and see what they have in 1903's and then travel to do the deal. At that point they would ship it for you, or you could take it with you.

Going away from the 1903/1917, I'm kind of on board with either the suggestion of a PCC or this:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...5cm-upper-kit/

Plus:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

People smack-talk Mark LaRue, but they build good stuff.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I just finished an 18" Rainier Ultra Match, Magpul A1 stock and a TA11F-G-love it! Like you, something different.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I would sell the 7.5 inch pistol. Not really an effective length if it is 556. If it is 300BO fine, but i would sell that add the proceeds to the $1300 and get a gas 308 or 6.5 creedmore for the long range stuff

Other option would be to get another pistol setup if you sell the 7.5. Just go with an 11.5 from BCM, Sionics, SOLGW, Colt , etc

Feedback Score
    You could build yourself a really nice AR in 7.62 x .39 for that price and shoot stupid cheap steel case russian ammo all day long and not feel guilty. Just do your research. If you want it accurate spend the money on a good BCG and barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    $1300, I can spend on a new gun if I want. ARs are the weakest, except long range precision.

For ARs I have:

Colt LT6720R w/ Vortex 1-4 LVPO
    Anderson AM15 w/ Vortex Strikefire II +3x Magnifier (I know, I know…)
    Stag Stag-15 7.5 Pistol w/ brace + Sig Romeo 5
    S&W M&P 15-22 w/ Sig Romeo 5

I don’t really think there is a hole there unless I want a better backup rifle…. And the Anderson has been fine.

My other options are something from the “long range precision” category, which I don’t really have anything…. But it would have to be in 30-06.

Advice?

I can give you my input based on my own perspectives, but without knowing what you use your AR15s for, and what your intents are, its a bit of a guess.

To start out, you can buy a Colt 6920 right now for $1,000. With that out of the way, lets move on.

Your Colt 6720 should be a solid platform, which is a good thing, because you go downhill pretty quickly after that. However, if the Anderson functions and is reliable, it beats a stick or club. I would make mods to the Colt before I put any money into the Anderson.

Getting to the Stag, a 7 inch barrel is nothing but loud and ineffective. However, that doesn't make the weapon useless, I would use this platform and build the Stag up. Since it is already configured as a pistol, I would swap out the barrel for an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel. Leave the BCG and everything else the same. Now you have a highly functional weapon without the SBR nonsense. This makes the Stag much more pleasant to shoot, AND gives you enough velocity for ammunition to do what its intended to do. With the 7.5" barrel you simply don't get enough juice to make the speed. The barrel upgrade is cheap, and for a couple hundred bucks you are in business,

Before we jump to looking at the rest of your money to spend, do you have decent lights on your guns? I like that you have optics for all of them, but a good light is important. We could argue serious need for a sling, but that isn't as large of a concern right now. Worst case scenario you get a basic 2 point sling for $10 that is military surplus. I have them on a few of my guns and I leave them long so I get a bit more function of out them. You can also find no name slings on sale pretty cheap that are decent.

How are you stacked for magazines? I would ask how you are doing with ammo, but with ammo prices slowly coming down, its worth waiting before stocking back up. Magazine prices are low, and you need mags to feed the beast. Speaking of mags, do you have some form of carrier? Sure it can be an empty plate carrier, but the bandoleers are nice and a good belt setup is probably an even better bet. If you aren't familiar with a "Battle Belt", or LBE / LBV, there are loads of examples. You can go with an old school setup with a Y or H harness, two 3 mag carriers, a canteen holder with canteen, and still have plenty of room to throw on a pistol pouch and holster. From there you can ad whatever else you want pretty cheap if you are staying surplus. If you want newer stuff I'll dig up a pic.

One of the nicest things about having a decent belt setup is that when you throw it on you become a sustained unit. You know each time you throw it on what will be there for you. Even a single AR magazine pouch gives you a serious increase in firepower, and you can always just throw it on knowing you have a pistol and knife setup (or whatever). This is what I do, and I have a few different ones so I can grab what I want depending on what I'm doing.

Below is an example of one setup of mine that is geared for my MP5.

Here is my niece Killerina holding another MP5, but she is wearing her basic belt setup with holster, and rifle & pistol ammo.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast