Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First World Problems: What New AR for me?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is a pic of a bandoleer, its another option for carrying mags on your person or in your vehicle.

Here is one of my belts, but this is the only one which doesn't have a harness added onto it. You can see its got spots for pistol and rifle magazines, as well as knife and pistol.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^^^ Listen to Stick ^^^^^
    🤙

Feedback Score
    Dangit. I missed the 7.5 inch pistol in the inventory. Stick is a wise man. I just did a rebarrel on one of mine and put a 10.5 inch Rosco on it and had great results. I think I paid something like 130 bucks for the barrel and they are known to be GTG. One of the best barrels out there for the money IMHO. Point being is you can take that gun from glorified 22 flamethrower to legit for not a lot of money.

Feedback Score
    You can certainly get another AR in 5.56 such as a Colt for the money that you have and begin to set it up. You could also consider a solid bolt gun for a precision longer range option, but even then you are likely to spend quite a bit more than $1,300 when you consider a good optic on top of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Stick, I really apreciate your input. Everybody else, too.

My takeaways are:

1. Look into selling the Anderson and buying another Colt.

2. Look ino replacing the barrel on the Stag pistol.

3. Look into a lightweight AR for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I can give you my input based on my own perspectives, but without knowing what you use your AR15s for, and what your intents are, its a bit of a guess.
    I don't really know either. I'm a cop, I use the Colt for my patrol rifle. I shot 3 gun and other gun games before the stupidity hit.

If my arm wasn't in a cast I'd be trying the Tactical Games. Maybe a lightweight AR?

To start out, you can buy a Colt 6920 right now for $1,000. With that out of the way, lets move on.
    That might be one move, sell the Anderson and buy a Colt.

However, if the Anderson functions and is reliable, it beats a stick or club. I would make mods to the Colt before I put any money into the Anderson.
    I bought it when it was all I could get. It's functioned well but I'm not married to it.

Getting to the Stag, a 7 inch barrel is nothing but loud and ineffective.
    I put a Law Tactical folder on it, now it fits perfectly in a sling bag. I'll see if it would still fit with a longer barrel.

Before we jump to looking at the rest of your money to spend, do you have decent lights on your guns?
    Surefire P3Xs on the long guns, G2Xs on the shotguns, .22 and Stag.

We could argue serious need for a sling, but that isn't as large of a concern right now.
    2 point slings for everything. It's what I know how to use.

How are you stacked for magazines?
    3 dozen or so, mostly PMAGs.

Speaking of mags, do you have some form of carrier?
    I've got 3 rifle vests, 1 polyethylene I use for work, a ceramic I use for my truck and a steel I use for training that I use in the jeep for now..

a good belt setup is probably an even better bet. If you aren't familiar with a "Battle Belt", or LBE / LBV, there are loads of examples.
    I've got 3, one to go with each rifle vest... my duty belt, a backup duty belt for the truck and a training one I put together from old military stuff.

Each plate carrier carries 2 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, an extra TQ and the duty belts each carry 2 pistol mags and 1 rifle mag.... plus an IFAK... plus cop stuff. The sling bag is set up the same, just everything is inside.

I have 3 vehicles: patrol car, truck, jeep. One set goes in each, set up the same except I keep shotguns in the truck and jeep so shotgun shells instead of rifle mags there.

One of the nicest things about having a decent belt setup is that when you throw it on you become a sustained unit.
    I keep a go bag with food, water, firstaid stuff, basic survival stuff like matches and space blankets, and 4xrifle mags and 2x pistol mags in each vehicle.

The truck and Jeep also have an old ballistic vest in each.

Below is an example of one setup of mine that is geared for my MP5.
    This is my duty kit. The suspenders aren't on the belt (I use Back Defender hidden suspenders on the duty belt), and the truck kits are set up for shotguns, but otherwise 3x of this:

IMG_0440 (1).JPG
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-26-21 at 18:01.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    Everyone needs a precision 5.56 in their life. Sell one, use the funds for a quality barrel, handguard, and trigger. The $1300 will get you a good optic in the 2-10 or 3-15/18 range. Don’t be afraid of used, quality optics. If you have any money left over, get into reloading…
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Ok, I’ve come into a bit of cash, about $1300, I can spend on a new gun if I want.

Anderson AM15 w/ Vortex Strikefire II +3x Magnifier (I know, I know…)
    Stag Stag-15 7.5 Pistol w/ brace + Sig Romeo 5
    S&W M&P 15-22 w/ Sig Romeo 5
    Get rid of those three, and with the extra $1,300, get a top tier rifle (BCM, DD, LMT, or even another Colt).

Take the change (you'll have some), and get a shitload of mags & ammo (or as close as you can in THESE times). Maybe a quality spare BCG and complete lower while you're at it. An extra LPK or two at a minimum.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Brownells has a nice Colt 11.5 upper. Start with that.
    I’d also upgrade the Vortex to a Razor or Trijicon.
    I also say sell the stag and Anderson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Get rid of those three, and with the extra $1,300, get a top tier rifle (BCM, DD, LMT, or even another Colt).

Take the change (you'll have some), and get a shitload of mags & ammo (or as close as you can in THESE times). Maybe a quality spare BCG and complete lower while you're at it. An extra LPK or two at a minimum.
    The problem is that an Anderson isn't going to be worth much of anything right now, so he may as well keep it. Stag shouldn't be a problem if its got a new barrel mounted.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Sell the Anderson, and the Stag. Buy a really solid optic (ACOG, VCOG, Aimpoint, Elcan), a KAC rail, a suppressor (Surefire RC2, Gemtec Halo) and a M600 for your Colt. My .02 cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast