Thread: KAC rail cover help

Feedback Score

KAC rail cover help

I recently installed KAC rail covers on the DD Omega rail I bought. I should have paid more attention to the install videos I watched. I was able to install the sides and bottom covers just fine. Problem is, I forgot to put the top cover on the rail beforehand. Now, I can’t figure out how to get the clips unclipped from the rail so I can take it off and put the top one in properly. Is there a trick to it? I’d hate to have to cut them off an purchase them again. Any help is greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Assuming you have a flat top upper, you can remove the rear sight and optics and slide the cover on from the rear. Its kind of a pain and you want to go slow so you don't scratch the upper or rail with the metal clips on the rail cover.

I don't understand what you mean by "get the clips unclipped from the rail"?

The KAK covers have a metal spring loaded clip that "locks" into the rail, you push on the middle of the clip to release them from the rail. If you go to 2:45 in this video you can see him releasing the clip to move the rail cover: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFYTAjIKgkA

Andy

P.S. Yes, the video shows a KAK rail installation, it was the first I found showing how to "unlock" the rail cover.

Feedback Score
    By unclipping, yes…to undo/remove the rail cover from the rail. Thanks for the link. I appreciate the help. I’ll fuss with it tomorrow

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    At the risk of stating the obvious, you slide the rail cover onto the rail from one end or the other. If you slide the "clip" end on first, you need to keep pressure on the center of the clip as you slide the cover on, otherwise the clip will scrape its way down the rail. If you slide the "non-clip" end of the cover on first, you only have to press the center of the clip to clear the end of the rail after the cover is mostly installed.

I don't have an Omega rail - my Troy rail will allow the rail cover clips to lock into the forward or rear end of the rail (I think the KAK rails are the same way).