Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with handguards

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Problems with handguards

Midwest Industries now has a stiffy NV-friendly handguard design coming out.
    Forward Controls Design had CMT remove some of the RHF’s lightening cuts.

The original BCM KMR was gouged easily, according to numerous accounts.
    My ALG 10” EMR V2 heated up fairly quickly due to the aluminum handguard and barrel nut, but functioned perfectly.
    I got a KAC URX4 specifically to end up as a laser host, because I understand plenty of handguards will flex a bit.

Have to ask…
    Has anyone experienced problems with lightweight handguards?
    Actual problems?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    My Geissele MK14 would heat up way too quickly for my taste, and the tiny set screws on the side would come loose every once in a while.

Feedback Score
    I recently switched over to one, and I have had no issues so far. Then again, I'm not running hundreds and hundreds of rounds through my rifle per session, especially with the ammo prices these days. I have heard some complain of heat issues though, but again, their use case may be different than mine.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I only have ALG 10" V2 and 13.5" V3 rails on 5.56 guns and haven't really had any issues except heat. The black anodized aluminum absorbs a lot of energy from the sun (and apparently from the barrel) and the BCM rail covers are really there for grip, not insulation. Gloves are a necessity, not an option, in the summer. Probably would suck in the cold too.

The rifle I have with a quad rail has KAC covers, so it stays relatively cool.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-25-21 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mk16 rail on my primary rifle, which sees a lot of FA and suppressed fire. No complaints.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    No problems per se (I don't run lasers, ymmv), but I've definitely began using covers. Without them things can get too hot, and since I shoot down to subzero temps, too cold as well. I know I can always wear gloves, but I want the option of shooting without them. I've used ALG, BCM, Geissele, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was glad I put some Griffin panels on my 11.5", it gets hot sometimes.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Zero issues with the DD, MI, BCM or Centurion rails I've had. Without a doubt though some type of cover is necessary if running more than a mag or 2 through one in short order. I do like the Magpul Type II covers. One complaint with all of the "low profile" girly diameter is at the gas block area, forget any MLOK accessory that ends up with a screw at that point.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Zero issues with the DD, MI, BCM or Centurion rails I've had. Without a doubt though some type of cover is necessary if running more than a mag or 2 through one in short order. I do like the Magpul Type II covers. One complaint with all of the "low profile" girly diameter is at the gas block area, forget any MLOK accessory that ends up with a screw at that point.
    So you're basically seeing this happen when you're shooting pretty rapidly? I tend to shoot fairly slow (especially because it's an indoor range), so I haven't seen this yet. I'm now wondering if should order some covers just in case I decide to speed things up. I'm not looking to have to wear gloves every time I shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Truth. I recently finished a 10.5 build using the Centurion low pro MLOK hand guard. I love the thing but forget using rail covers on the bottom section just under the gas block. And I used the Centurion low pro gas block as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast