Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun times last night - not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think people mix "smart" and trainability. A dog can be smart and a great problem solver, but getting them to do a bunch of complex things on cue might not be their forte.

A working breed was bred for the trainability aspect, they want to do what they are told, they need to please. It is in their nature to do so. That is why the breed is placed in the Working Dog class.

Most pro's in turn have a con and vice versa. Not being as trainable as the considered most trainable breeds is not a negative per se, unless you are going for a SCH title, then you might be in for some frustration.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My pit is obedience trained and listens well, does what she is told and comes into a room and immediately lays down watching the door. She does that on her own. I go to tons of houses to deliver papers and hear people yelling at their dogs with no effect and then they run past them and begin to jump on me nonstop. I have no use for tiny dogs who think they are big dogs and have been nipped by more small dogs than big. They are dog/pets and should be treated as such, not humans.

Back on topic, beautiful dogs and glad they are ok after their late night hunt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    My pit is obedience trained and listens well, does what she is told and comes into a room and immediately lays down watching the door. She does that on her own. I go to tons of houses to deliver papers and hear people yelling at their dogs with no effect and then they run past them and begin to jump on me nonstop. I have no use for tiny dogs who think they are big dogs and have been nipped by more small dogs than big. They are dog/pets and should be treated as such, not humans.

Back on topic, beautiful dogs and glad they are ok after their late night hunt.
    Thanks. Yup, small untrained dogs are horrible, but they always get a pass because they can't do much damage, but if the bigger dog "defends" itself from the assault (from dog's POV), it's the bigger dog's fault. Stupid.

As far as obedience training...no offense, but almost any dog can accomplish this. I am glad you have trained your dog well.

What I was talking about is in the upper echelons of trainability, this is what separates the can and cannot's. For instance, a very good working breed dog for the most part can achieve a SCH I title if the training and hard work is put into it. SCH III is a different story. Most dogs, even with a SCH I title can't achieve this title no matter how many hours of training you put into them. They just can't. This is why a SCH III dog cost crazy money. I think this is what DG23 was talking about as far as top list of "smart" dogs. This is why you see a lot of the same breed do the same type of jobs.. They are bred for it. On the flip side, you won't see too many Malinois rescued in a dog fighting sting or see them herding cattle. They don't do that well. That is not what they were bred for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I only know one person who still owns a Pit. Its bit her more than once. And it's a female.

Good luck with your unneutered male.

Ain't much different than owning a mountain lion.
    Is this post a joke? You friends with Bob Barker and PETA? Do you really believe that pit bulls have some sort of mental flaw that other dogs don't have? Do you honestly believe neutering has some sort of effect on this?

Before you answer, I feel you should know that these questions are being asked by a career dog trainer with 30 years of professional experience, who has trained dozens of pitbulls, thousands of dogs all over the world, and who holds multiple national protection dog competition titles. I've also trained several mountain lions, and myriad other exotics to include camels, elephants, apes, baboons, etc... That's my current aging malinois in my avatar snarling on cue for the camera.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    I've also trained several mountain lions, and myriad other exotics to include camels, elephants, apes, baboons, etc... That's my current aging malinois in my avatar snarling on cue for the camera.
    I hope to be 1/4 as cool as you when I grow up, unfortunately I am out of time. There was a Dos Equis commercial running in my head as I read your post!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Yea dude...too much ignorance in that statement there. It is an American Bulldog (Scott type). There is the Johnson type which is larger boned, larger head, but not as athletic.

She is a female and spayed. The Dobie is a male and neutered.
    A real Dobie or a minpin?

I was thinking minpin at first comparing the size of the armadillo and the dogs in the pictures but now you got me wondering...

Really, really big 'Texas Size' Armadillo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Do you honestly believe neutering has some sort of effect on this?

Before you answer, I feel you should know that these questions are being asked by a career dog trainer with 30 years of professional experience...
    Hard to blame the guy for that misconception. A great many advocates of doggie population control plant that garbage in peoples heads while giving them the population control / spay neuter speeches.

I actually keep a folder on one laptop with several links to actual published studies, various PDF files, etc. that specifically deal with spay / neuter surgery and the long term effect on dog aggression. For when people online want to argue about it sometimes it it better to share real studies like that with them...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I only know one person who still owns a Pit. Its bit her more than once. And it's a female.

Good luck with your unneutered male.

Ain't much different than owning a mountain lion.
    What a load of nonsense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Two vizslas & a drahthaar here...the intelligence & love good dogs bring to a home are priceless. I prefer the company of my hounds more than most folks I meet these days.

I'm still not sure how the young viz is able to snag squirrels...never witnessed but got the evidence.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Nah, roughly the same ballpark but definitely differences amongst them. They all get labeled as "Pitbulls" often enough even if the resemblance is slight. Pitties get a bad rap, mostly due to shit owners. Also if a pittie snaps at you it's "vicious" but if a pomeranian does it "isn't that cute? "

Meh, chihuahuas and poodles scare me more than pitties. I got a square head too, and I don't bite all that often.
    They used to be so popular as family dogs they were considered an American icon. More American than apple pie. That's why they were used in film and advertising so much back then. Then Lassie came out and Rin Tin Tin and all those, and suddenly now everyone wants those dogs. The pit bull fell out of style for about forty years. Then the war on drugs happened and gangbangers started getting Dobermans and Rottweilers and training them to be attack dogs. They started biting people, so they cities started banning them. So the gangbangers went out and got pit bulls instead. And that's when they jumped up in the statistics.

The only pit I ever saw that was a problem was owned by a drug addict who constantly had the police out for domestic stuff. That dog was a terrorist. What really pisses me off is the owners who swear up and down the dog never showed aggression when they know damn good and well that every neighbor in a half mile radius had been warning them about that dog for months or years. Passive aggressive borderline personality disorder types shouldn't own a dangerous dog period.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast