Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun times last night - not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The difference is dogs have a mind of their own. Guns dont.

Some of you are saying neutering a dog does not reduce aggression?
    It generally doesn't. An agro dog is an agro dog. The real problem is people don't understand the breeds they own. Pits are natural hunters and when that switch is clicked, it is hard to turn off, whether it's an actual pest or another dog. They are generally pretty good with humans. Kids might sometimes be seen as small prey by some who haven't been properly introduced to society.

Another problem with some breeds are same sex aggression. A bunch of breeds have this characteristic. Dobies have this and you have to watch them if you do have 2 of the same sex. With males it is more of a problem but it does exist with females sometimes. I had 2 females at one time and had no problems. From what I have heard from others with experience is that if it does develop between females it is very bad. Regardless, when that switch clicks, one pretty much has decided the other must die.

This is why I now have one male Dobie and one female Am Bulldog. Nice and easy, everyone gets along. Two males would have been asking for a bloody mess eventually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Yup. Those bastards root the crap out of my yard. Healthy f*ckers for sure. Even the possums here are good sized. My previous red female Dobie used to mess them up. She was hesitant at first, but once she got a hold of one and dispatched it, the rest were toast. No blood...no guts...no mess. Just a quick grab on the top of the back and she would look at me all happy and crush it's insides without ripping it apart. She was a surgeon for sure. Miss that girl. She was a good one.
    That has been my experience with Dobes and squirrels. Once they get that first one - From that point on they will go insane trying to get the rest of them and put them where they belong. (in the tummy LOL!)

Its like a light bulb turns on once they realize that inside the little bag of fur is MEAT. LOL!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    And yes, aggressive dogs of any breed require additional responsibility. I have probably spent 30 years training work / security dogs and never once has one of mine hurt somebody by accident. If I can do that, anyone can do that because I'm not a extra special dog trainer, just a responsible one.
    Was at this one shop years ago working late on a Sunday night. Had the radio blasting while doing my thing and all of the sudden the girls both tuned up and started running for the back of the shop in full tilt 'going to get us some' mode.

We had a company at the time that was paid to occasionally come by and patrol the parking lot (that is all) and this one employee of theirs decided he was going to see what was going on inside the building that night. Walked right in the back door that I accidentally forgot to lock when I came it. No knocking first, just walked right in...

The girls made the length of the shop in seconds and were almost on top of that guy before he made it a few steps inside. Between the growling and the speed with which they ran up on him - Pretty sure he had a little bit off pee come out before I called them off and asked him what the hell he was doing.

Guy claimed he 'thought someone may have broke in and was checking things out'.

My reply was, 'Who in the hell would break in, turn on all the lights, crank up the stereo full blast, and then start operating machines???'

In hindsight it was lucky for that guy that he froze up when they ran up on him instead of trying to make a run for it. That particular back door had to be slammed shut to latch properly. Being commercial it opened outwards and both girls knew how to push it open when they wanted to...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Ya just gotta love the south. Weird critters like possums and armadillos. Then ya got cottonmouths, copperheads, snapping turtles, alligators and crocs, ...

It's like America's own little corner of Australia. Whatever don't kill ya swallows you live.
    Don’t forget Rattlesnakes, Coral snakes, ticks, mosquitoes, red bugs, Black Bear populations are increasing and allegedly we have cougars, although I’m not sure about that. And humidity and the rednecks! It’s fun times for sure.

I used to kill opossums like they were a varmint but then I researched them and found out they eat a lot of bugs.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 07-31-21 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a great little Boston Terrier, that dog would dig up a snake out of nowhere, kill it, than come in the house to show you the remains.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    That has been my experience with Dobes and squirrels. Once they get that first one - From that point on they will go insane trying to get the rest of them and put them where they belong. (in the tummy LOL!)

Its like a light bulb turns on once they realize that inside the little bag of fur is MEAT. LOL!
    ...not to mention squirrels are the crack of the canine world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    ...not to mention squirrels are the crack of the canine world.
    The one girl would literally foam at the damn mouth every time she saw them after she got her first. Was pitiful.

Public service announcement: Had a friend tell me about the time his fido ran off and got a duck at his local park. He said it all happened in a blink and before he could do anything the duck was dead. Just so happened that a lady got the 'accident' on video and... Not long later the park popo shows up and hands him a citation for the dead duck. $1000.00 bucks and he did NOT get to keep the bird.

Would be willing to bet that most any animals running around in public areas like that are 'protected' and if your fido should happen to harm one and someone see it - It could be costly.

For many years I have had friends give me surplus ducks every year (hunting season). They like shooting them more than eating them and often have a lot of surplus. Think garbage bags full of ducks over and over and year after year... After a while I got sick of eating them myself and started giving them to whatever girls I had at the time. They learn fast what is under those feathers.

Would be nothing but trouble for me taking any of those girls to a park with ducks waddling around. Dogs do not just forget where meat comes from...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    @ DG23

You’re not worried about them consuming the steel shot? Lead shot if the hunters forget to swap for water fowl?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    @ DG23

You’re not worried about them consuming the steel shot? Lead shot if the hunters forget to swap for water fowl?
    Nope. Birds were cleaned / processed before giving to them. Cut up small enough to where I would spot anything like that.

More than a few times the birds had been left in the back of the truck overnight and were frozen solid by the time they were given to me. Like bricks with feathers. May be why so many were given away?

Used my special metal detector (more than a few times) that also doubles as a meat defroster to make SURE there was no steel bits hidden from sight.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good deal.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast