Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fun times last night - not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    After thinking about your question and all the memorable examples over the years, I'd say there have been lots of reasons. Fear biting being just one. Hard to nail down percentages on what motivates the aggression in so many cases, but the underlying issue is that the people didn't know how to effectively control their dogs, or were too lazy and irresponsible to do so. The axiom that dogs just want to please is false. Dogs just want to do what dogs want to do. If it were the former, I wouldn't have a job. Understanding the motivation for their aggression is key to controlling it. Prey, defense, territoriality, jealousy, fear, excitement, and boredom can all be motivators for unwanted aggression. I've seen several bored, kenneled malinois who seemed to find entertainment in biting the awkward hairless apes and watching their reactions. And some dogs are just genetically programmed to bite. Just raised two pups recently that demonstrated my ignorance on this to me. I thought I could overcome genetics with proper training and socialization. I have many times in the past, but apparently, I can't always do it. Similar situation for parrots and monkeys. Most any social animal.

My apologies for drifting off topic on your thread. I found myself unable to let the incorrect pit bull and neutering statements stand. I've actually been working in Georgia a lot in the last few months, currently in Oklahoma, and armadillos are now seen almost daily by me and my dogs. I'm reading and learning. My two mals found a couple of armadillos crashing around in the middle of a fallen tree in the hotel potty area a couple of months ago, and I had to call them off. I did not know about the leprosy thing with armadillos, so I thank you for starting this thread. Additionally, I always enjoy seeing people's dogs and reading about doggy exploits. I've worked with a few great dobies and American bulldogs. Love both breeds. You've also made me glad that I hunt my game birds and rabbits with talons rather than shot, so no need for such a highly specialized metal detector for my kills.
    No problem. To me...dog talk is dog talk. Love it.

This male Dobie I have was a rescue. It came from a family whose wife and sons were allergic. I think that was just part of the problem though. I think thy were scared of him. When I brought him home he was fine, but did not take to a stern voice very well. I learned that the hard way when I was correcting him and walked towards him too aggressively for his taste.

I've read a bunch of bite training books and some specific Doberman ones and one of the books I remember reading that they are faster than you think and when training them for bite training that the person doing it better be on their toes or bad things will happen. Well, I tell you what, if he really had wanted to, he would have taken my face off before I could have done anything at all. He just warned me. Very sobering experience. He's all good now,but he's the most protective Dobie of the four that I have owned. The one thing that I still can't kick is that he is vindictive. Probably due to separation anxiety to me. It's not all the time, just every so often, if I leave the house, he will mark the furniture (try anyway), I put a belly band on him to be safe.

He can have a long streak of no problems, then one day, it is "eff you, this what I think". Baffling.

Edit: forgot to add that Falconry = super cool.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 08-02-21 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    I was under the impression he was offering the bird whole in the fact there was a statement to the affect they had discovered meat under all the feathers.
    When they are camped out watching while you clean them and occasional bits of raw this or that get tossed in their direction - They learn about the meat being under the feathers.

And feet... Duck feet never get trashed. Those are doggie crack - No cleaning required. Cut and toss!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Does it spark or what?
    Not if there is nothing metal inside.

Feedback Score
    Need proof of how poorly most folks train their dogs?

Working construction we seem to come in contact with a lot of dogs. Over the years I've noticed that many dogs will answer to "damn it" and/or "son of a bitch". Try it yourself.

ETA: My dogs come running anytime my wife says "oops" or "shit" in the kitchen. They know there will be a tasty clean up for them somewhere on that kitchen floor.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 08-03-21 at 09:55.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Need proof of how poorly most folks train their dogs?

Working construction we seem to come in contact with a lot of dogs. Over the years I've noticed that many dogs will answer to "damn it" and/or "son of a bitch". Try it yourself.

ETA: My dogs come running anytime my wife says "oops" or "shit" in the kitchen. They know there will be a tasty clean up for them somewhere on that kitchen floor.
    Dogs "understand" tones also. You could ask your dog with a pleasant tone (like you were going for a ride, etc) if they want an enema with a spiked pole and they would act like "its about to get jiggy!"

Even how you express yourself. My dogs clear out when I'm pissed. Somehow, they just know.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 08-03-21 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Dogs "understand" tones also. You could ask your dog with a pleasant tone (like you were going for a ride, etc) if they want an enema with a spiked pole and they would act like "its about to get jiggy!"

Even how you express yourself. My dogs clear out when I'm pissed. Somehow, they just know.
    I took the girls to this Vet clinic a few weeks ago to get them weighed and forgot to bring a face diaper so they would not let me come inside and do it myself.

No big deal, They sent a couple of girls outside to get the Dober girls and take them in for me to get their weight.

The one Vet tech / assistant girl asked me if the girls would listen to commands. I explained to her that they would IF she gave them 'correctly' and gave her a demonstration. More or less - Say it like you MEAN IT and not like you are playing around.

Even with the demonstration both of those (human) girls screwed it up and got drug like they were the bitches both in and then back out of the clinic. Both Dober girls blew off every word those girls said to them. If they had used the correct 'tone' as you describe there would have been zero issues.

I was in that same clinic a few weeks later getting blood work done on one of the girls and remembered my mask so was inside with them. Packed lobby, Both humans and dogs of all sizes. I sat next to a little old lady with a 10lb rat dog while waiting.

Zero issues with pulling, obeying commands, or anything. When I said 'SIT' - Those asses hit the ground. When I said 'CALM' - Those girls calmed and never so much as even considered screwing with anyone or any other dog there...

Had two different customers comment about how well behaved they were and then the little old lady next to me asked me about the pinch collar on one of my girls but not the other. She was wondering why the collars were different. I explained it to her about how that particular dog was hard headed sometimes and that that collar allowed me to 'pinch' her neck a little if she got out of line.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I took the girls to this Vet clinic a few weeks ago to get them weighed and forgot to bring a face diaper so they would not let me come inside and do it myself.

No big deal, They sent a couple of girls outside to get the Dober girls and take them in for me to get their weight.

The one Vet tech / assistant girl asked me if the girls would listen to commands. I explained to her that they would IF she gave them 'correctly' and gave her a demonstration. More or less - Say it like you MEAN IT and not like you are playing around.

Even with the demonstration both of those (human) girls screwed it up and got drug like they were the bitches both in and then back out of the clinic. Both Dober girls blew off every word those girls said to them. If they had used the correct 'tone' as you describe there would have been zero issues.

I was in that same clinic a few weeks later getting blood work done on one of the girls and remembered my mask so was inside with them. Packed lobby, Both humans and dogs of all sizes. I sat next to a little old lady with a 10lb rat dog while waiting.

Zero issues with pulling, obeying commands, or anything. When I said 'SIT' - Those asses hit the ground. When I said 'CALM' - Those girls calmed and never so much as even considered screwing with anyone or any other dog there...

Had two different customers comment about how well behaved they were and then the little old lady next to me asked me about the pinch collar on one of my girls but not the other. She was wondering why the collars were different. I explained it to her about how that particular dog was hard headed sometimes and that that collar allowed me to 'pinch' her neck a little if she got out of line.
    Yeah..people don't realize how much worse a choke chain is than a pinch collar because it looks scary to them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Richard Wolters 'Family Dog' should be handed out for every first puppy buyer...should actually read it before getting the dog.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had blocky headed labs and they were awesome. Now I have “ Sheepadoodles” half sheep dog half a dog that will fck anything. Just saying.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Richard Wolters 'Family Dog' should be handed out for every first puppy buyer...should actually read it before getting the dog.
    I don't know this book. Thanks for the reference. I will look it up.

The industry standard for all beginning trainers has been "Don't Shoot The Dog", by Karen Pryor for decades.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast