Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kids Fighting back against gunmen in school

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hmm... my kids' school is pretty much gunman proof. The reinforced doors are all kept locked, visitors are fully screened, the staff is armed and trains regularily, there's a small secure armory on site full of guns and ammo, the children are all given some degree of defensive (and offensive) tactics training according to their ages, and there's a police station less than one block away if all else fails (absolute last resort only).

Want to know where my kids go to school? My house.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Personally, I don't think the schools are that bad, as far as physical safety. 300,000,000 people in this country, and every once n a while a psycho gets into a school and shoots the place up. your kids are more likely to suffocate in an abandoned refridgerator than get shot by a psycho school shooter. My problem with public schools is ethically based. I think the public school system is a moral ****ing cesspool.

However, if somebody's gonna learn gunman defensive tactics, it needs to be the staff. I can picture some pansy ass faggot lib teacher cowering in the corner while his/her 5th grade students charge a gunman with textbooks...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    I think the public school system is a moral ****ing cesspool.
    I agree with this one hundred percent plus, our schools are so passive and sensitivity trained that everything is GREY anymore.

Scott

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A 10yo with a ballpoint pen and a mean disposition could certainly hurt someone.
    Would probably be bad to give some kids these ideas...

Kids are kids, they are more likely to apply this the wrong way vs. say.... one of us(gun-nuts).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There are two effective responses to an AS event:

1. Shoot him
    2. Flee

Given that we are not going to have 5th graders packing firearms, the best alternative is to teach them to get the hell out of the school ASAP and to get as far away from it as they can as quickly as they can.

The "lockdown" response to an active shooter event is the problem. Keeping all the kids nicely contained where a shooter can get to them at his leisure isn't an effective strategy for those 4-10 minutes it can take for the cops to show up and take out the shooter.

Fighting would be a last resort.

...and frankly, I don't see the schools teaching it. What if they teach a kid how to use a pen as an improvised weapon and then the kid uses that technique on a classmate? Lawsuit. What if the kid actually does it in a bad situation and ends up dead? Lawsuit. Add to that the fact that the people running schools are 99.999% guaranteed to be absolute sheep and ANY talk of offensive measures is going to go over like a lead balloon. Hell, half the people in the room may start CRYING on you when you suggest it.

When it comes to decision making in public institutions these days think about the big L: Liability.

We already teach kids to evacuate the building in case of fire. We make a standard practice of getting everyone out if there's a bomb threat....but for an AS suddenly the SOP turns into a lockdown.

Duh.

Just making that change in SOP would be helpful.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 12-11-08 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    I've got kids, young ones at that, so this kind of hits me in the gut.

While this may not be a great idea (ok, far from it), I prefer this direction to where we've gotten to in most schools...that is, a kid in 1st grade draws a picture of a gun or talks about a gun and they get expelled. Or a kid gets into a fight and they're branded a felon. Come on, who didn't get into a fight in school? Schools have gone so completely to the left it's like they're teaching our kids to be sheeple. So do I want them to teach my kids to attack a gunman, not really. But do I like the mind-set of self defense rather than cowering in the corner and getting popped...yes.

So in my humble opinion, it is a step in the right direction...but perhaps a little mis-guided.

I'd prefer school districts allow teachers with concealed carry licenses to carry in school. All a school would need would be one or two of them I'd think.

My $0.02 FWIW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234