Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offset red dots vs offset irons.. call me crazy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I’m also noticeably more accurate with iron sights than rds.
    That seems surprising. Do you know why? Is the red dot brightness turned down so that it does not "bloom?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That seems surprising. Do you know why? Is the red dot brightness turned down so that it does not "bloom?"
    It’s not uncommon. I believe it’s more of a subconscious effect of concentrating a little more. I’d be willing to be you’re just a tad slower shot to shot.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I have good vision but lights and dots look more like starburst to me. A front sight looks like a solid square post to me. So yes it may very well be subconscious.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have good vision but lights and dots look more like starburst to me. A front sight looks like a solid square post to me. So yes it may very well be subconscious.
    Sounds like astigmatism based on the dot description.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-24-21 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just left WA (YAY!) and I will say that the rear sight peep will get obstructed with rain water too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLips View Post
    That's a good option as well. Only con I can think of is the "height over bore" distance. But I'm sure if you zero'd the red dot for 50 yards or so for CQB type of stuff it would work well. Companies like Reptilia make a top scope cap for a T1/T2 that puts the RDS at a 45 degree angle I believe. Looks pretty cool and seems to work well.
    Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I just left WA (YAY!) and I will say that the rear sight peep will get obstructed with rain water too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    A quick flick or wipe of the irons clears the water. That doesn't work so well with optics.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Mysteryman;2972569]Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

That’s why I like an Acog with a rmr, definitely not perfect but it works. Also you can always roll the rifle to the left and pickup the dot with your left eye. Of course you can do the same thing with a lpvo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Pikey;2972616]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

That’s why I like an Acog with a rmr, definitely not perfect but it works. Also you can always roll the rifle to the left and pickup the dot with your left eye. Of course you can do the same thing with a lpvo.
    Right. There is no perfect solution unfortunately. The downside to an LPVO are three fold. Price, weight, durability. I love LPVO's but I haven't found my ACOG's wanting for the role I have them dedicated for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12