Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offset red dots vs offset irons.. call me crazy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Offset red dots vs offset irons.. call me crazy

Call me crazy or old school.. whatever! But I prefer a good set of offset iron sights over a red dot. Not just because of price. But I think they have more purpose as a back up option. I know they're not near as fast as a red dot, especially if they're folded down. My reason of thinking this came to me when I was stationed up in Washington state. I had a 1-6x lpvo as my primary optic and an offset red dot as my secondary. Well if you've ever been to the Pacific northwest you know it rains 360 days out of the year, so you might as well learn to live with it. It's that fine, light, mist type of rain too. It easily gets blown around by the wind. My buddy and I were out at some private land shooting no further than 100 yards. I couldn't see anything through either of my optics. The wind and the rain were causing both optics to be so obstructed they were pretty much useless. We basically put those rifles away and resorted to shooting rifles with iron sights that day.
    Anyways.. just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else thought any different. It's always nice to hear other opinions and see if I'm missing out on any good info. Have a great day everyone!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I say both. With optics on QD mount or irons on the opposite side for the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    You could have all 3 (LPVO, red dot and irons). I have DD iron sights set on 45 degree mounts on my 20" AR.308. Primary optic is a Nikon Black FX 1000 FFP 6-24x50 scope.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1612 View Post
    I say both. With optics on QD mount or irons on the opposite side for the best of both worlds.
    Off set BUIS on on both sides of the gun might be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. BUIS on the support side of the rifle is absurd, not the best of both worlds.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Offset red dots vs offset irons.. call me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Off set BUIS on on both sides of the gun might be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. BUIS on the support side of the rifle is absurd, not the best of both worlds.
    Offset BUIS, good to go. If you want to run an offset red dot as well, in an environment like OP described, and it’s not QD, the only option is moving either dot or irons to the other side. Support side is Usable, but NOT ideal. Otherwise, once the dot is occluded, you won’t be able to see irons through it, and if not QD, can’t be easily removed. Of course, if the offset dot has a closed emitter, I don’t see why the glass couldn’t just be wiped.
    Having said that, I’d run both on strong hand side, but I live in FL. In fact, I’m waiting for the micro mount I want to be back in stock to do just that.
    Maybe that makes better sense.
    Last edited by dan1612; 07-29-21 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Waiting on the Arisaka 45/35?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLips View Post
    Waiting on the Arisaka 45/35?
    T-Rex

Feedback Score
    Why not just mount the back-up RDS on the scope mount rather than the rail? A 1200 RDS allows for use with either shoulder and under NODs, and does not interfere with any offset BUIS. Offsetting the RDS off the main optics is also an option that some folks prefer.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why not just mount the back-up RDS on the scope mount rather than the rail? A 1200 RDS allows for use with either shoulder and under NODs, and does not interfere with any offset BUIS. Offsetting the RDS off the main optics is also an option that some folks prefer.
    That's a good option as well. Only con I can think of is the "height over bore" distance. But I'm sure if you zero'd the red dot for 50 yards or so for CQB type of stuff it would work well. Companies like Reptilia make a top scope cap for a T1/T2 that puts the RDS at a 45 degree angle I believe. Looks pretty cool and seems to work well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLips View Post
    Call me crazy or old school.. whatever! But I prefer a good set of offset iron sights over a red dot. Not just because of price. But I think they have more purpose as a back up option. I know they're not near as fast as a red dot, especially if they're folded down. My reason of thinking this came to me when I was stationed up in Washington state. I had a 1-6x lpvo as my primary optic and an offset red dot as my secondary. Well if you've ever been to the Pacific northwest you know it rains 360 days out of the year, so you might as well learn to live with it. It's that fine, light, mist type of rain too. It easily gets blown around by the wind. My buddy and I were out at some private land shooting no further than 100 yards. I couldn't see anything through either of my optics. The wind and the rain were causing both optics to be so obstructed they were pretty much useless. We basically put those rifles away and resorted to shooting rifles with iron sights that day.
    Anyways.. just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else thought any different. It's always nice to hear other opinions and see if I'm missing out on any good info. Have a great day everyone!
    In that situation quick detach optic mounts make more sense. With a fixed front sight and folding rear sights just pop the optic off and stow it. Then you can use a normal check weld without rolling the rifle ect. It’s not like that weather condition would be an unforeseen emergency.

More and more I’m liking red dots less and less. Rds are fast up close but not everything is 10 yards away, also with a little distance and certain lighting conditions rds actually slow me down compared to something with magnification. I’m also noticeably more accurate with iron sights than rds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast