Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt .170 Pin Trigger Options

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Colt .170 Pin Trigger Options

I have a 90's Colt with the .170 trigger and hammer pins. The trigger has always been terrible, even polishing up the surfaces and using grease. The only replacement options I can find are expensive mil-spec versions which may not be any better than what I have, or $120+ one-piece trigger groups that don't fit the character of the gun. I don't need anything special, just something a bit better than milspec (like an ALG ACT) for around 60-80 bucks.

Any suggestions on a replacement, or someone who could do a decent trigger job on the one I have?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In addition to CMC, Velocity Triggers, Timney and maybe other one piece triggers, Geissele makes them, but you're not going to like the price:

https://geissele.com/super-semi-auto...large-pin.html
    https://geissele.com/super-semi-auto...large-pin.html
    https://geissele.com/super-3-gun-s3g...large-pin.html
    https://geissele.com/hi-speed-nation...igger-set.html

You're might be better off just getting another lower, but I don't think it'll save you any money by the time it's done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    I have a 90's Colt with the .170 trigger and hammer pins. The trigger has always been terrible, even polishing up the surfaces and using grease. The only replacement options I can find are expensive mil-spec versions which may not be any better than what I have, or $120+ one-piece trigger groups that don't fit the character of the gun. I don't need anything special, just something a bit better than milspec (like an ALG ACT) for around 60-80 bucks.

Any suggestions on a replacement, or someone who could do a decent trigger job on the one I have?

Thanks!
    I have two different triggers for my rifle like that. (Colt Comp Hbar)

One being a JP adjustable and the other being the factory trigger that I had sent out (entire rifle) to be 'fixed' at a local gunsmith.

JP still sells those large pin adjustable units and they are nice. Yeah, If you adjust too far you WILL be learning how to time your parts but... If you have the patience for the work and the springs to choose from you can pretty much do whatever you want to do.

The JP I have adjusted for my rifle like yours does not have a lot of travel either way and breaks at about 4 1/2lbs or so with a full power hammer spring. It will reliably light off any mil-spec primer tossed its way.

The stock trigger that I had sent out to be 'fixed' is unreal. That thing was a heavy, mile long turd along a gravel driveway before being sent out... What that guy returned to me cracks at about 3.5 or so lbs and is smooth as glass. Same travel length everywhere but smooth and light on the pull. Same release length but smooth... Same exact springs as what I sent off to him but a seriously reduced pull weight? Been using that trigger for years now and had zero reliability or safety issues. Not right what that guy did with the stock parts he had to work with... Seriously thinking there was voodoo involved there.

Specialized Armament has a huge variety of those factory parts in stock. Huge to the point where a guy can choose 'what sort of hammer do I want to try now'...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    georgeib, thank you. I had looked at all those, but for the reasons I stated, they are not what I'm looking for. This is a classic, "vintage" AR, so I'm not going to break it up. The gun is special to me because it was from the 90's during the AWB when I wanted one, but couldn't have one because I wasn't a jack-booted government thug. I like it mostly as-is, just hate the trigger.

DG23, do you happen to remember the name of the witch doctor you sent it to? That sounds like my best option. I'm sure there are folks around me that could do it, but I would like a known quantity.

Thanks
    Last edited by Know1; 07-30-21 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    DG23, do you happen to remember the name of the witch doctor you sent it to? That sounds like my best option. I'm sure there are folks around me that could do it, but I would like a known quantity.

Thanks
    Yep, but being as it was 25 yrs ago god only knows if he is even still there. I mentioned it to make the point that the parts you HAVE can be made to not suck in the right hands. They do not have to be that guys hands.

Mentioned SA so you would be aware that replacement parts are out there in the event that anything gets messed up (or you just want to try different parts out in the same pin size).

https://www.specializedarmament.com/...emi-auto-only/

I do not have any large pin 'low-mass' hammers but do have a few Colt parts like that in the standard size. Not sure what exactly Colt has done special to those but so far every one I have ever tried has fell on the very low end of the 'normal' Colt pull weight range. 4 to 6lb triggers vs 6 to 8lb triggers. Something is different about those sears as that bob job alone is not what is reducing the weight. (reduced weight even when springs remain the same)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I will probably try to find someone who knows what they're doing to go over my trigger group. ARMED CITIZEN, That is a good tip about the stainless pins. I don't think I'll do the anti-walk as I want to keep it as stock looking as possible, but maybe new pins would tighten things up like you said. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I will probably try to find someone who knows what they're doing to go over my trigger group.
    What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

Weight? Feel? Length of whatever travel?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have a large pin Colt lower and I use the Geissele SSA large pin trigger.

Feedback Score
    CMC trigger won't work if you have the block in the back.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

Weight? Feel? Length of whatever travel?
    Mostly feel but it seems pretty heavy, too. It's a stock, basically milspec gun, so I don't mind a 5-6 pound trigger. Looking to loose the creep and grit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast