Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt .170 Pin Trigger Options

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you may be looking for Springfield triggers. I used him many years ago. I assume he is still in business.
    https://triggerwork.net/index.html

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Sounds like you may be looking for Springfield triggers. I used him many years ago. I assume he is still in business.
    https://triggerwork.net/index.html

Cheers, Steve

I am definitely checking into him. That's just what I was looking for, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    I am definitely checking into him. That's just what I was looking for, thanks!
    I read at his site what services he offered. JP springs and bobbing the hammer tail (making your own speed hammer) are stuff you could do on your own...

Would suggest buying a good quality trigger pull gauge and checking what you have several times before sending it off or doing any work on it yourself. Reason being - Why send off parts for a 4lb trigger job if what you had was less than that to begin with?

You need to be able to check your parts before and after so you know what you are getting / know what any changes actually did.

Installed a JP trigger and springs once in a friends S&W rifle. I forget the actual numbers but when all was said and done the JP actually had a pull weight a few ounces higher than the parts the rifle came with originally... Much less travel everywhere, smoother and a shorter reset but still a tiny bit more heavy than what he had to begin with. I marked the bag his old parts were returned to him in with their weights and let him know.

Notice the weights on the note card in this picture? Left side weights are new, unmolested parts with grease. Right side are same unmolested parts after degreasing. In this case, sending the parts off for a '4lb trigger job' would give me a greater pull weight than what I had.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Very good advice DG. Unfortunately, I don't have a trigger pull gauge. It's a stock, milspec Colt trigger, so ain't no way it's anywhere near 4 pounds. In fact, compared to several other triggers of known weight, I'd say we're in the 8+ pound range. Even if it comes back at 6 pounds without the creep and grit, I'd be ecstatic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    Very good advice DG. Unfortunately, I don't have a trigger pull gauge. It's a stock, milspec Colt trigger, so ain't no way it's anywhere near 4 pounds. In fact, compared to several other triggers of known weight, I'd say we're in the 8+ pound range. Even if it comes back at 6 pounds without the creep and grit, I'd be ecstatic.
    How are they are 'known weight' if you don't have a way to measure them? Just curious...

These JP springs are in stock and would / should get you into the 5lb (or just below) range:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-prod7582.aspx

You could swap those yourself in less than 5 minutes.

Same exact springs I used on the trigger in the picture above. Reason my pull weights are closer to 4lbs than
    5 is due to the NiB coated parts. As many times as I have tested it seems as if without fail that simply swapping a Schmid phosphate trigger (or hammer) out for a NiB coated Schmid part I usually expect to see a half to 3/4lb drop in pull weight if all other parts remain the same.

RTB also has a Kaw Valley reduced power spring set for a little less. They should get you into the 5 to 6lb range for under 10 bucks.
    https://www.righttobear.com/Kaw-Vall...p/kvp-rptk.htm

I personally prefer JP springs mostly due to having used them for so long but lighter is lighter...

Do not know the Springfield guy and not trying to knock his work but from looking at his site and seeing the part about JP springs and hammer bobbing - That is where he lost most of the weight. Simple stuff you could do yourself and save time and money...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12