Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 235

Thread: Dakota Meyer on Jocko Podcast.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,391
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Slow your roll there, nobody is insulting anyone here.
    I only explained that it could be taken that way unintentionally. I used another example to try and explain my thoughts.

    Anyway, we are way OT (mostly my fault), so let me just say correction noted from ABNAK (Army not Marine) and I personally think he did an astonishing job from the accounts I've read.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,391
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Just for the record, MacArthur was a prima dona piece of shit that should be wiped from the pages of history. Google Bonus Marchers and Pelilu.
    I'm aware.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,562
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I only explained that it could be taken that way unintentionally. I used another example to try and explain my thoughts.

    Anyway, we are way OT (mostly my fault), so let me just say correction noted from ABNAK (Army not Marine) and I personally think he did an astonishing job from the accounts I've read.
    I think some people deliberately go out of their way to be offended. The plain unvarnished truth is what offends them, so I won't even try to appease them.

    I have no problem with the military. They're a vital part of our constitutional society here. They won us our independence and they preserved it from foreign adversaries for hundreds of years. But when they not only forget that they're first and foremost a part of The People, and that that is their higher calling, but try to separate themselves as a higher class and try to establish dominance over "civilians," and advocate removing our rights.

    Nothing can make up for that. Not even a medal of honor. Not ten medals of honor.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,618
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I have no problem with the military. They're a vital part of our constitutional society here. They won us our independence and they preserved it from foreign adversaries for hundreds of years. But when they not only forget that they're first and foremost a part of The People, and that that is their higher calling, but try to separate themselves as a higher class and try to establish dominance over "civilians," and advocate removing our rights.
    After 21 years of Active Duty, it was hard not to look at civilians and not see a bunch of low energy, undisciplined, lackadaisical, Clowns.
    Sorry, just my experience...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    After 21 years of Active Duty, it was hard not to look at civilians and not see a bunch of low energy, undisciplined, lackadaisical, Clowns.
    Sorry, just my experience...
    By now you've been retired roughly as long as you were in, correct? How do you see it now?

    To be fair, when I was in as a young 18-22yo lad I too viewed most "civilians" with disdain. Certainly not a correct attitude to have, but given what most military folks go through and the lives they live (I was a grunt, not a pogue) it was easy to go "Pffttt" and brush civvies off. Obviously 34+ years later I see it differently. Things are relative.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    Oh, and screw China!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,562
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    After 21 years of Active Duty, it was hard not to look at civilians and not see a bunch of low energy, undisciplined, lackadaisical, Clowns.
    Sorry, just my experience...
    Who farm the food you eat, build the houses you live in, drilled the oil that fuels your car (that they also built), paid your salary for those 21 years, and are now paying your retirement? Are those the lazy civilians you're referring to?

    Our founding fathers were lazy civilians for the most part, so I guess I'm in good company.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    517
    Feedback Score
    0
    He didn’t say fudds or anything of the sort. He said those wearing camo at the range “acting tactical”, and I quote,
    “are the problem with the world”.

    F him and anybody that sympathizes with him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern Kali...
    Posts
    1,045
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    After 21 years of Active Duty, it was hard not to look at civilians and not see a bunch of low energy, undisciplined, lackadaisical, Clowns.
    Sorry, just my experience...
    I think there is a decent percentage of hardworking civilians who see the remainder of civilians the same way... You just need to spend a bit more time defining the groups.

    Dennis.


    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    517
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think there is a decent percentage of hardworking civilians who see the remainder of civilians the same way... You just need to spend a bit more time defining the groups.

    Dennis.


    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    At the same time there are some real POSes in the military.

    Blanket statements are stupid. But the superiority complex of the bros don’t do them any favors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,618
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Who farm the food you eat, build the houses you live in, drilled the oil that fuels your car (that they also built), paid your salary for those 21 years, and are now paying your retirement? Are those the lazy civilians you're referring to?

    Our founding fathers were lazy civilians for the most part, so I guess I'm in good company.
    I hate to see things wasted, I went from an environment where things were rather austere, to the Land of Abundance and nobody bothered to take notice that they were pampered.
    Generally Civilian people are so unorganized they not only waste their own time, but yours too. Basic fundamentals of organization and a clear chain of command are blurred or ignored. Property, like tools for the job are generally missing and unaccounted for.
    My first impressions of Civilian life really wasn't all of that.
    I couldn't wait to get back to a system of accountability.


    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    By now you've been retired roughly as long as you were in, correct? How do you see it now?
    To be fair, when I was in as a young 18-22yo lad I too viewed most "civilians" with disdain. Certainly not a correct attitude to have, but given what most military folks go through and the lives they live (I was a grunt, not a pogue) it was easy to go "Pffttt" and brush civvies off. Obviously 34+ years later I see it differently. Things are relative.
    Correct, but my experience was a bit different. I retired, in May, tried my hand at a couple of things and after 9/11 went to work as a Defense Contractor. Another 14 + years of that and I retired again.
    Honestly I wanted to teach school but, after about three months of that I was done. No accountability, none at all and those were someone's kids.

    You know I would like to get along with folks, it's just that honestly, if they ran by me on fire I wouldn't piss on them to put it out.
    Last edited by Averageman; 07-31-21 at 22:43.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •