Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Dakota Meyer on Jocko Podcast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Let's think of it this way: you've BTDT, in the biggest, most publicly recognized way possible.....the MoH. They don't give that shit out for anything. Now years later you make a snide comment about some dudes playing the part and not having walked the walk. Yeah, might be kind of snobby to some, but I see it as something that rubs him the wrong way and he spewed it forth. Oh well. Earn the MoH and I'll cut ya a little slack. If he is truly anti-gun or such then screw him, but I didn't get that from his rant.
    You don't have to be anti gun to be anti second amendment. Like I said a few posts up, the media has done a wonderful job of shaming us into voluntarily giving up our proficiency with said arms. Just having them in the closet isn't really useful to anyone. Back during the times leading up to the revolution, people actually did get out and train. For one thing a lot of people did quite a bit of hunting to save money, so they had really good general outdoorsman skills to begin with. And on top of that, there were local yearly competitions in many if not most towns and villages where the fighting age men would compete in basic infantryman skills like marksmanship, who could reload the fastest, etc. Ironically, the NRA was originally founded by Civil War veterans for the express purpose of keeping young men ready to fight in the infantry.

It was also pretty common for municipalities and individuals to keep arms stockpiled. That's why King George started putting limits on how much ammunition people could have. He even went as far as to start confiscating arms and ammunition imported to the colonies. The point is, a big part of what made the revolution possible is that a lot of people already had the arms and skills to show up and be in a ragtag militia. They had muskets (the 18th century equivalent of an AR15), a decent supply of ammo, and they were proficient with everything. Not only that, but they had some basic skills as far as fighting in formations went.

So in a nutshell, they were doing the 18th century equivalent of tactical shit, acting like operators on ranges. No different fundamentally from what these guys on IG are doing. Except that the IG guys are not only getting proficient in basic weapons handling, they're also fighting a battle for hearts and minds by renormalizing it. And when someone like Chuck or Nancy criticizes them, it only adds to their numbers. But when someone like Meyer attacks them, it does real and significant damage to our efforts to renormalize the second amendment.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Agreed. I wonder what % of posters listened to that vs posting what anti 2A d bag he is for a 1 min rant on IG.
    Or, you know... don't make 1 minute rants on IG that are sure to be taken out of context, to start with...
    I would have thought a guy with a MOH and rubbing shoulders with politicians would be smart enough to understand how social media works, especially in this day and age, and be sure to state his opinion clear the first time around. Walkbacks don't win friends after the damage - perceived or not - has been done. Especially when we have enough people trying to shank us in the back, and then folks gotta wonder why people get all trigger happy when someone inserts foot to mouth like this...

The irony is, I might have actually agreed with him in some ways. Lots of assbag instagram-operators and larpers these days. Some of them even get a bit to big for their helmet and start to confuse themselves with things they were/are not. Although, tbf, those seem to be a minority.
    But outside of some sort of legit stolen valor sitch, it's not harshing my mellow enough to care to write or rant about it. Who cares. The real question is, can they shoot? Are they trainable? Anything off the range is just a picture on the internet; Cosplayers have been at it for years, good grief...
    On range, DGAF if they show up with all the gear and then some; either they'll figure out how to make it work, or learn a hard lesson via their wallet...Even if they are being 'kinda posers', I'd rather them show up at a range with a real gun than playing airsoft...
    To be blunt, I've noticed the 'larper' types are often MORE open to serious training than the hand-wringer types that think they know better. I'm down with well-placed criticism, IF it solves something. And this doesn't.
    To kick another sacred cow, this is far from the first military person I've seen spend time on pointless 'internet criticisms' when there are plenty of other BTDT mil guys running training companies and websites with information that (for now) anyone can access where they actually TRY to help people unf***themselves.

That being said... I'd still buy Meyers a beer if I ever met the guy.
    It's social media; mistakes will occasionally be made when you have a live feed from people's mouths to the world.
    This isn't anywhere near as big a deal as people are making it out to be.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 08-06-21 at 00:54.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Or, you know... don't make 1 minute rants on IG that are sure to be taken out of context, to start with...
    I would have thought a guy with a MOH and rubbing shoulders with politicians would be smart enough to understand how social media works, especially in this day and age, and be sure to state his opinion clear the first time around. Walkbacks don't win friends after the damage - perceived or not - has been done. Especially when we have enough people trying to shank us in the back, and then folks gotta wonder why people get all trigger happy when someone inserts foot to mouth like this...

The irony is, I might have actually agreed with him in some ways. Lots of assbag instagram-operators and larpers these days. Some of them even get a bit to big for their helmet and start to confuse themselves with things they were/are not. Although, tbf, those seem to be a minority.
    But outside of some sort of legit stolen valor sitch, it's not harshing my mellow enough to care to write or rant about it. Who cares. The real question is, can they shoot? Are they trainable? Anything off the range is just a picture on the internet; Cosplayers have been at it for years, good grief...
    On range, DGAF if they show up with all the gear and then some; either they'll figure out how to make it work, or learn a hard lesson via their wallet...Even if they are being 'kinda posers', I'd rather them show up at a range with a real gun than playing airsoft...
    To be blunt, I've noticed the 'larper' types are often MORE open to serious training than the hand-wringer types that think they know better. I'm down with well-placed criticism, IF it solves something. And this doesn't.
    To kick another sacred cow, this is far from the first military person I've seen spend time on pointless 'internet criticisms' when there are plenty of other BTDT mil guys running training companies and websites with information that (for now) anyone can access where they actually TRY to help people unf***themselves.

That being said... I'd still buy Meyers a beer if I ever met the guy.
    It's social media; mistakes will occasionally be made when you have a live feed from people's mouths to the world.
    This isn't anywhere near as big a deal as people are making it out to be.
    I wouldn't buy him a beer.

I think simple prune juice is what he needs to unass himself

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Hell yeah I'd buy him a beer. The man is a certified card-carrying hero.

We don't have to talk politics, love life, or his hopes, dreams, and aspirations.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Hell yeah I'd buy him a beer. The man is a certified card-carrying hero.

We don't have to talk politics, love life, or his hopes, dreams, and aspirations.
    ^^^This
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324