Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Dad's 1903 Springfield

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Outstanding, I have a 1903A3 and their great rifles. I have been looking for a 1903 but haven't really found one yet. Yea they have some push for sure. I had one of those slip-on recoil pads on mine when I 1st got it & made the mistake of posting a picture with that on it,, I was shamed off the internet by the traditionalists, LOL Not really but it came off immediately after that post, LOL! Congrats on bringing back a beautiful old rifle!
    Reduced velocity cast bullet loads are an excellent practice alternative in the older military surplus rifles. Cheap, low recoil and quiet, shoot to the sights, more forgiving of wear etc...on 100 year old barrels.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For anyone who owns old bolt action military rifles, the article written by C.E. Harris has good information on cast bullet loads for Mausers, Springfields, etc. An internet search will easily find a link to the article.

There is good information on low velocity loads on this site as well. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm I've chronographed loads for 30-06, 45-70 and others and found the data for each powder was accurate in my rifles.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    For anyone who owns old bolt action military rifles, the article written by C.E. Harris has good information on cast bullet loads for Mausers, Springfields, etc. An internet search will easily find a link to the article.

There is good information on low velocity loads on this site as well. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm I've chronographed loads for 30-06, 45-70 and others and found the data for each powder was accurate in my rifles.
    Yup. Read that back in 1994? I've shot dozens of Pounds of Red Dot loads behind cast bullets in Milsurp rifles since then. I've even got a couple of Low Number 03's (Hysteria over blown anyway) that I shoot all the time- no worries with such tame loads....Although, they are not as tame as you might think. I've killed many hogs with cast bullet loads out of the old rifles and never lost one.
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-20-21 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes! "The Load"...Good stuff!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Yes! "The Load"...Good stuff!
    I have probably a half a dozen .50 cal cans full of .30-06 loaded to "The Load" specs. I bought a crap ton of once fired CMP Garand test fire brass several years ago and reloaded it all with cast and Red Dot. Shoot it in the Garands, 03's, 1917's, Johnson '41, Norwegian Mauser and the Madsen.

Feedback Score
    Man, that's nice you did that for your father! It's sad seeing what was done to some of these great old military rifles, back in the 50's and 60's.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Man, that's nice you did that for your father! It's sad seeing what was done to some of these great old military rifles, back in the 50's and 60's.
    Thanks.

He actually seemed happier that I cleaned and de-cosmolined his CMP M1.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-05-21 at 05:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thanks.

He actually seemed happier that I cleaned and de-cosmolined his CMP M1.

Andy
    Thats no small chore either.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is nothing better than gripping iron and wood and hitting targets at 600 yards. Every rifleman should own at least one 1903 Springfield and one M1 Garand.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There is nothing better than gripping iron and wood and hitting targets at 600 yards. Every rifleman should own at least one 1903 Springfield and one M1 Garand.
    I could not agree more about the Garand and 1903 (or 1917 Enfeild).

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-09-21 at 11:05.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12