Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: My Dad's 1903 Springfield

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,038
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Outstanding, I have a 1903A3 and their great rifles. I have been looking for a 1903 but haven't really found one yet. Yea they have some push for sure. I had one of those slip-on recoil pads on mine when I 1st got it & made the mistake of posting a picture with that on it,, I was shamed off the internet by the traditionalists, LOL Not really but it came off immediately after that post, LOL! Congrats on bringing back a beautiful old rifle!
    Reduced velocity cast bullet loads are an excellent practice alternative in the older military surplus rifles. Cheap, low recoil and quiet, shoot to the sights, more forgiving of wear etc...on 100 year old barrels.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    5,478
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For anyone who owns old bolt action military rifles, the article written by C.E. Harris has good information on cast bullet loads for Mausers, Springfields, etc. An internet search will easily find a link to the article.

    There is good information on low velocity loads on this site as well. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm I've chronographed loads for 30-06, 45-70 and others and found the data for each powder was accurate in my rifles.
    Train 2 Win

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,038
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    For anyone who owns old bolt action military rifles, the article written by C.E. Harris has good information on cast bullet loads for Mausers, Springfields, etc. An internet search will easily find a link to the article.

    There is good information on low velocity loads on this site as well. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm I've chronographed loads for 30-06, 45-70 and others and found the data for each powder was accurate in my rifles.
    Yup. Read that back in 1994? I've shot dozens of Pounds of Red Dot loads behind cast bullets in Milsurp rifles since then. I've even got a couple of Low Number 03's (Hysteria over blown anyway) that I shoot all the time- no worries with such tame loads....Although, they are not as tame as you might think. I've killed many hogs with cast bullet loads out of the old rifles and never lost one.
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-20-21 at 12:26.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    993
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    For anyone who owns old bolt action military rifles, the article written by C.E. Harris has good information on cast bullet loads for Mausers, Springfields, etc. An internet search will easily find a link to the article.
    Yes! "The Load"...Good stuff!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,038
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Yes! "The Load"...Good stuff!
    I have probably a half a dozen .50 cal cans full of .30-06 loaded to "The Load" specs. I bought a crap ton of once fired CMP Garand test fire brass several years ago and reloaded it all with cast and Red Dot. Shoot it in the Garands, 03's, 1917's, Johnson '41, Norwegian Mauser and the Madsen.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    268
    Feedback Score
    0
    Man, that's nice you did that for your father! It's sad seeing what was done to some of these great old military rifles, back in the 50's and 60's.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    3,782
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Man, that's nice you did that for your father! It's sad seeing what was done to some of these great old military rifles, back in the 50's and 60's.
    Thanks.

    He actually seemed happier that I cleaned and de-cosmolined his CMP M1.

    Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-05-21 at 05:46.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Patron State of Shooting
    Posts
    3,703
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thanks.

    He actually seemed happier that I cleaned and de-cosmolined his CMP M1.

    Andy
    Thats no small chore either.
    " Be NOT ye afraid of them..
    Remember the Lord, for He is GREAT & TERRIBLE!
    FIGHT for your bretheren..for your sons & for your daughters,
    for your wives & for your households"!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    5,478
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is nothing better than gripping iron and wood and hitting targets at 600 yards. Every rifleman should own at least one 1903 Springfield and one M1 Garand.
    Train 2 Win

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    3,782
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    There is nothing better than gripping iron and wood and hitting targets at 600 yards. Every rifleman should own at least one 1903 Springfield and one M1 Garand.
    I could not agree more about the Garand and 1903 (or 1917 Enfeild).

    Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-09-21 at 11:05.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •