Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M17 pistol takedown lever issue

Feedback Score

M17 pistol takedown lever issue

Is this just an idiosyncrasy of this gun?

https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News...g-disassembly/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We started our transition to the P320 in 2016 and noticed the recoil spring assembly would occasionally hang up like the pistol shown. Pushing the tip of the rod up towards the barrel or cycling the slide again fixed it. It happened once and a while but was something we had to cover in our transition class. David

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is very odd , but good info to have. Cool there is a remedy. Never seen it on any of my Sigs.

PB

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Good to know, but not particularly aggravating. Every pistol platform seems to have its own nuances.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I guess the military testers must have missed that one when they found all the other problems with the gun after it won the pistol selection.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Seems like it. But they might have known about it. As always, when you have a piece of equipment selected by Price Point versus mechanical qualities, you just end up trading one set of problems for another. I'm just hoping to have less problems overall then with the current pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I guess the military testers must have missed that one when they found all the other problems with the gun after it won the pistol selection.
    You mean, after SIG under bid Glock and money changed hands between high level people and the US Army was forced into adopting the 320.

Not the biggest issue, but still an engineering failure.

Feedback Score
    Apologies for thread drift, but one of the posters seems to be in a position to answer a legit question of mine.

What does dot-MIL teach soldiers, airmen, Marines etc about the approved loading status when the M17/18 goes into a holster?

For the M9, there is a decocker/safety and the chamber can be loaded (or unloaded) with the weapon decocked and On-Safe. With the M17, there is no decocking so the only chamber-loaded state is with the weapon cocked and locked. So if there is a round in the chamber, then the pistol has to be carried cocked-and-locked.

What is the allowed status in the holster? Are there any variations on this between services or "special groups"?

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
    Apologies for thread drift, but one of the posters seems to be in a position to answer a legit question of mine.

What does dot-MIL teach soldiers, airmen, Marines etc about the approved loading status when the M17/18 goes into a holster?

For the M9, there is a decocker/safety and the chamber can be loaded (or unloaded) with the weapon decocked and On-Safe. With the M17, there is no decocking so the only chamber-loaded state is with the weapon cocked and locked. So if there is a round in the chamber, then the pistol has to be carried cocked-and-locked.

What is the allowed status in the holster? Are there any variations on this between services or "special groups"?

Bart Noir
    That will depend on a variety of things, most of which are not fixed in stone, and all of which can be changed. SOPs will vary by group, branch, location, etc. Two years or so ago the Big Army changed the Beretta to locked and decocked after years of locked and safety on, but it still changes by location, SOP, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post

Bart Noir
    I believe the AF carries loaded and safety off and army is carrying loaded and safety on. Atleast I heard that from a few people I know. Could be a unit thing but who really knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast