Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many 1911's have a ramped rear sight?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I thought you carried a Beretta bobcat? They have sights capable of being used to charge the gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I carry a Cheetah and Bobcat together often.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The ramped rear sight reduces the amount of damage inflicted upon your sports jacket when holstering your weapon.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It gets better. The Cheetah (primary carry for 6 years now) replaced my Glock 19. (9 years primary carry)

I've tried a bunch of other guns over the years. I can't own them all but I can own and shoot many of them for a little while.

Never seriously tried any type of 1911 for regular carry but a DW Guardian .38S is the one I'd like to try. I can't get an answer to what a loaded DW Guardian .38S weighs loaded, however. I've searched.

I keep seeing 28.5 oz but is that with a magazine? That could mean 32 to 36 ounces loaded with 10 rounds.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It gets better. The Cheetah (primary carry for 6 years now) replaced my Glock 19. (9 years primary carry)

I've tried a bunch of other guns over the years. I can't own them all but I can own and shoot many of them for a little while.

Never seriously tried any type of 1911 for regular carry but a DW Guardian .38S is the one I'd like to try. I can't get an answer to what a loaded DW Guardian .38S weighs loaded, however. I've searched.

I keep seeing 28.5 oz but is that with a magazine? That could mean 32 to 36 ounces loaded with 10 rounds.
    Allegheny Gun Works will mill a dovetail in your Cheetah slide for a new front sight and install modern sights for you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Plenty of video evidence of pistols ending up out of battery during a fight while forced to use one-handed. It happens.

Why not use a different rear sight that does everything the ramped sight does with addition of one-handed racking capability?

Yes I do practice this function.
    I have never actually seen a video of a one handed malfunction clearance. If you know of one, please share it here. My only point was that there are people practicing this stuff that would fall on their face if it was just me, them, and a pro-timer on an empty range. One should concern themselves with that stuff when you’re absolutely crushing putting a single round exactly where you want it to a time and accuracy standard. Or with your blood pressure raised.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

If you're worried about HAVING to rack it one-handed someday, try these: Trijicon sights.

Put these on my SA Loaded a few years ago. I haven't TRIED to rack it one-handed... but I think I could if needed!
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; 08-04-21 at 07:17.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Allegheny Gun Works will mill a dovetail in your Cheetah slide for a new front sight and install modern sights for you.
    Thanks!

I'll bet it's really expensive though. ($300+) but I'll check it out. Might need refinishing, too.

Most of my Cheetah's are blued.

Cheetah with tall sights and optic would be pretty cool. 😎

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I have never actually seen a video of a one handed malfunction clearance. If you know of one, please share it here. My only point was that there are people practicing this stuff that would fall on their face if it was just me, them, and a pro-timer on an empty range. One should concern themselves with that stuff when you’re absolutely crushing putting a single round exactly where you want it to a time and accuracy standard. Or with your blood pressure raised.
    I've seen videos of people needing to do it, but not doing it. If they do it at all they postpone it until both hands are available.

If a pistol is going to have decent sized sights on it they may as well be designed to rack.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    If you're worried about HAVING to rack it one-handed someday, try these: Trijicon sights.

Put these on my SA Loaded a few years ago. I haven't TRIED to rack it one-handed... but I think I could if needed!
    Those are nice sights, I have some.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Not for nothing, but I've seen Bill Blowers demonstrate one-handed racking off the rear sight of a pistol with a ramped rear sight.

LAV has written that people blow out of proportion the importance of having a square ledge to rack off of on the rear sight (while also using that as a selling point on his Wilson Combat sights).

Bottom-line is that you don't need a ledge on the front of your rear sight to rack the slide one-handed... but it helps.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast