Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many 1911's have a ramped rear sight?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Plenty of video evidence of pistols ending up out of battery during a fight while forced to use one-handed. It happens.

Why not use a different rear sight that does everything the ramped sight does with addition of one-handed racking capability?

Yes I do practice this function.
    not going to say it's an impossible 'what if?' however I am scratching my head with the question of 'how?' it just seems mighty long odds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    not going to say it's an impossible 'what if?' however I am scratching my head with the question of 'how?' it just seems mighty long odds.
    This article hits the high points.

It doesn't mean you need to practice it often, but it should be something you know how to do for those situations outside of the "80 percent" or whatever.

https://www.usacarry.com/single-hand...-manipulation/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    This article hits the high points.

It doesn't mean you need to practice it often, but it should be something you know how to do for those situations outside of the "80 percent" or whatever.

https://www.usacarry.com/single-hand...-manipulation/
    Bro you have a better chance of dying from COVID than having to clear a malfunction one handed in a gunfight.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the video. A female officer is out of the car and gets lit up. Strong hand down and she is returning fire with her left hand when she has some type of malfunction. Probably a limp wrist but all on her dash cam video. It's been a few years but I'll try. I can't tell you how many times I've been shot in the hands durings Sims training so one handed operation and a malfunction is not unlikely. David

Well I looked through many Policeone.com training videos and can't seem to find it. I use to always tell officers when trying a new training tactic, "I don't want your trying to learning how to do this in the middle of a gunfight". David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 08-10-21 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've been shot in the hands durings Sims training so one handed operation and a malfunction is not unlikely.
    This seems to be a common report from people who have participated in Simunitions training. To me that speaks not only to one handed operation but also the value of a back-up weapon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Bro you have a better chance of dying from COVID than having to clear a malfunction one handed in a gunfight.
    Or getting in a gunfight at all, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    This seems to be a common report from people who have participated in Simunitions training. To me that speaks not only to one handed operation but also the value of a back-up weapon.
    I only got to use simunitions a few times. But I did get hit in my support forearm once, right in the center. Probably would not have been able to do much with that arm / hand. A real bullet may have been deflected or gone through and struck my torso. The soap bullet just drew a little blood.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the video. A female officer is out of the car and gets lit up. Strong hand down and she is returning fire with her left hand when she has some type of malfunction. Probably a limp wrist but all on her dash cam video. It's been a few years but I'll try. I can't tell you how many times I've been shot in the hands durings Sims training so one handed operation and a malfunction is not unlikely. David
    Pistols (and attached limbs) certainly do have a tendency to attract sim rounds. With live ammo, wounds to extremities are common, including the arms. I don’t think that practicing one-handed manipulations are the top priority for training, but, I also don’t think its crazy, for the same reasons we practice weak hand.
    Last edited by 1168; 08-10-21 at 00:44.

Feedback Score
    https://youtu.be/o2OcFcO_qCs

Bill Blowers.

Take it or leave it. Just another POV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Not for nothing, but I've seen Bill Blowers demonstrate one-handed racking off the rear sight of a pistol with a ramped rear sight.

LAV has written that people blow out of proportion the importance of having a square ledge to rack off of on the rear sight (while also using that as a selling point on his Wilson Combat sights).

Bottom-line is that you don't need a ledge on the front of your rear sight to rack the slide one-handed... but it helps.
    I just posted the vid and then came back to read comments because I figured surely someone would mention it. But yeah it’s good stuff and I 100% agree with him. I especially dig what he says at the end of the video because yeah, doing it his way probably hurts a little bit...... but so does dyin’.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast