Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske Stainless Steel Upper: I would have preferred CHF - regrets?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I think its closer to he reserved a private dance with the blonde at spearmint rhino then heard the brunette there is a freak but she is gone for a week and he is regretting not waiting for her. Still hasn't gotten the dance but has lots of money to pay for it.

I could be wrong, of course. He lost me worrying about barrel life on a gun he doesn't plan to shoot, then he doubled down asking if he could pay Noveske to install a new barrel after he wears out the first without shooting it.

I heard a guy with the capital police read this thread and killed himself but I don't have confirmation.

Andy
    Oh man thats funny! Its a....different kinda post, for sure.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think its closer to he reserved a private dance with the blonde at spearmint rhino then heard the brunette there is a freak but she is gone for a week and he is regretting not waiting for her. Still hasn't gotten the dance but has lots of money to pay for it.

I could be wrong, of course. He lost me worrying about barrel life on a gun he doesn't plan to shoot, then he doubled down asking if he could pay Noveske to install a new barrel after he wears out the first without shooting it.

I heard a guy with the capital police read this thread and killed himself but I don't have confirmation.

Andy
    This is an awesome post.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post

Will Noveske do "gunsmithing"?

Sooner or later this barrel will wear out.

I would only trust Noveske to put in a new barrel.

Noveske used to do special order/ custom work, but it wasn't a cost effective use of time. I believe it was stopped and not restarted.

When was the last time you wore out the barrel on a personal weapon? Any weapon for that matter?

Why would you only trust Noveske to install a new barrel?

On a side note, $200 over MSRP? What dealer are we talking about?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.

Don't regret or worry about it. If you like your Noveske upper, buy another one when CHF become available. If you don't - sell it at a slight loss and move on with your life. Without trying it yourself you won't really know it.

Noveske are not the cheapest rifles, but they have a good support and will help you if you have an issue with their product.

Your knowledge base is lacking. Seriously.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

If you are lucky, the manufacturer/ assembler checks barrel headspace, but not all do. In addition, to clarify your above comment, if the barrel and bolt combo is no good, the bolt is typically thrown back in the bucket and another bolt is grabbed. Tolerance stacking means what doesn't fit right with one may be perfect with another.
    Stick

Feedback Score

Andy
    LMAO. Best response ever
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Andy
    Actually its more like this: Saw a 10/10 chick on Instagram or FB, is actually a 6/10 in real life. Agreed to overpay for one night, takes her out to dinner and buys her jewelry never intending to get in the sack with her. Then asks where she would like to go dinner for a second date.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Your knowledge base is lacking. Seriously.
    Please feel free to share your experiences and correct me where I'm wrong.

If someone has published a comparison I would be very interested in reading it out of curiosity.

You have some relationship with BCM, Centurion Arms (and maybe even Noveske) and they both sell CHF and SS barrels. I, as many others, would be interested to know the feedback on a usable service life.

How many rounds does it take for a well-made SS vs CHF AR barrel to go to say 5 MOA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Please feel free to share your experiences and correct me where I'm wrong.
    I would be curious what you got wrong as well. Cause from doing some reading at the Noveske website just now it seems as though you were spot on with respect to their SS barrels.

I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.
    From Noveske website:

Our stainless barrels are made to fill a precision role while retaining flawless function. Retaining accuracy and reliability is a complicated balance in that the chamber needs to be slightly modified from the NATO specifications to improve bullet hook-up in the throat, while keeping to functional properties of the NATO body dimensions. The result is our proprietary Noveske chambering. The steel used is a type of 416R and hardened to about 30 HRC prior to any machining. These barrels are button rifled with our proprietary PT buttons. This rifling profile differs from that in the chrome lined barrel line in that the lands have a slightly more trapezoidal shape. This design and the type of stainless used helps the lead edge of the rifling from eroding as fast as it might with conventional rifling, and the barrels tend to outlast others. For use in any precision application, we recommend the stainless barrel for its edge in accuracy and excellent reliability.
    https://noveske.com/faq/

The chambering that Noveske does to their SS barrels sounds a LOT like what CLE does with their special CLE chambering.

Perhaps we don't have a lot of guys here that shoot out of anything but honked out 5.56 Nato chambers?

That stuff does make a difference with respect to accuracy...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Noveske used to do special order/ custom work, but it wasn't a cost effective use of time. I believe it was stopped and not restarted.

When was the last time you wore out the barrel on a personal weapon? Any weapon for that matter?

Why would you only trust Noveske to install a new barrel?

On a side note, $200 over MSRP? What dealer are we talking about?
    I never wore out a rifle.

Having Noveske work on my rifles is a special thing to me. Just like many people treasure the rifles that John personally had a hand in making.
    If I had a Porsche, I would only want a Porsche dealer touching it. I would not take it to the local garage on the corner.

I have read about one of the pins on the gas black is particularly tough for some folks.
    I'd rather have a pro do it than mar the finish with a hammer.

The dealer was on GunBroker and was the only dealer with this upper in stock.
    I don't want people to think he is a bad guy because he sold it to me for the market price.

I would be enlightened to know of dealers selling uppers for MSRP in this day and age.

I talked to Noveske and asked them to recommend stocking dealers and the man they told me about put my other uppers on order and there is a 9 month wait.

Considering that now the wait is 12 months, I sure would not blame a dealer for selling for a premium.

He is doing me a favor because if it were less it would have sold out. And, I would prefer to pay a premium and actually have it in hand rather than wait another year.

No dealer would sell for MSRP right now for something that was not spoken for.
    If they did, the buyer would flip it for a nice profit.

If you happen to know any such dealers, I'd be happy to clean out there stock and flip them myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast