Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske Stainless Steel Upper: I would have preferred CHF - regrets?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Because there is a 9 month back order.
    On the bright side - If inflation keeps going the way it is...

In 9 months the cost of that same barrel could be 500 more than what you paid today.

Feedback Score
    I can live with that and it will be nice to diversify from my CHF barrels.

However, can somebody answer this?

Will Noveske do "gunsmithing".

Sooner or later this barrel will wear out.

I would only trust Noveske to put in a new barrel.
    Would this be entertained?
    I'm not looking for a free barrel - I'll pay for the new one - BUT can I get Noveske to do the install?
    This is why you should have ordered multiples at the same time. That way you would already have your spare (or a few spares) on hand for when the one went south. No waiting for a replacement and no hoping they still have that particular barrel in stock...

(Only half way kidding)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    This is why you should have ordered multiples at the same time. That way you would already have your spare (or a few spares) on hand for when the one went south. No waiting for a replacement and no hoping they still have that particular barrel in stock...

(Only half way kidding)
    I take you advice seriously.

SO...

If I order a few CHF barrels (long wait) - can I send the whole kit and kaboodle to Noveske for installation?

That would really make me happy.

No rush of course!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can live with that and it will be nice to diversify from my CHF barrels.

However, can somebody answer this?

Will Noveske do "gunsmithing".

Sooner or later this barrel will wear out.

I would only trust Noveske to put in a new barrel.
    Would this be entertained?
    I'm not looking for a free barrel - I'll pay for the new one - BUT can I get Noveske to do the install?
    It's an AR not an Aston Martin.

Your great grand kids probably won't wear out any of your AR's. Do you know how much ammo it really takes to wear out a gun?

I'd full pass on a noveske. G, Triarc or radian would get my money.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I take you advice seriously.

SO...

If I order a few CHF barrels (long wait) - can I send the whole kit and kaboodle to Noveske for installation?

That would really make me happy.

No rush of course!

I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.

Don't regret or worry about it. If you like your Noveske upper, buy another one when CHF become available. If you don't - sell it at a slight loss and move on with your life. Without trying it yourself you won't really know it.

Noveske are not the cheapest rifles, but they have a good support and will help you if you have an issue with their product.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.

Don't regret or worry about it. If you like your Noveske upper, buy another one when CHF become available. If you don't - sell it at a slight loss and move on with your life. Without trying it yourself you won't really know it.

Noveske are not the cheapest rifles, but they have a good support and will help you if you have an issue with their product.
    Great advice!

I should probably let you all know that I already bought his other CHF upper.

So, now I'll have 2 uppers, anyway.

All these uppers are going into deep cold storage for Armageddon.

At this point, I just want to know if Noveske would be so kind to install a new barrel when the day comes.
    I'll pay for the barrel and wait for months but I just want to know if they will do it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you have access to a workbench, just get a MI URR and a barrel nut wrench. And a torque wrench. It takes like 15-20 minutes to swap barrels with pre-pinned gas blocks, such as Noveske.

To answer your barrel profile thread question, Noveske profiles are good, despite being named with useless alphabet soup crypto. The CHF ones are just right; just pick a length. The stainless ones have a nice balance, but are much thicker and heavier, as is fitting for a barrel chosen for precision. Again, just pick a length. There is a weight chart at the link you provided that you can compare to more familiar brands. Had you not already bought this stuff, I’d have suggested trying a different brand that is more budget friendly with a similar profile.

Yes, stainless wears out faster than chrome lined. In my opinion, the Noveske ones are better than some, and equal to others in that metric. You need to be honest with yourself about how much you actually shoot this thing. It sounds like a stainless barrel will last you a lifetime.

Also, quit buying up all the shit at the PX.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you have access to a workbench, just get a MI URR and a barrel nut wrench. And a torque wrench. It takes like 15-20 minutes to swap barrels with pre-pinned gas blocks, such as Noveske.

To answer your barrel profile thread question, Noveske profiles are good, despite being named with useless alphabet soup crypto. The CHF ones are just right; just pick a length. The stainless ones have a nice balance, but are much thicker and heavier, as is fitting for a barrel chosen for precision. Again, just pick a length. There is a weight chart at the link you provided that you can compare to more familiar brands. Had you not already bought this stuff, I’d have suggested trying a different brand that is more budget friendly with a similar profile.

Yes, stainless wears out faster than chrome lined. In my opinion, the Noveske ones are better than some, and equal to others in that metric. You need to be honest with yourself about how much you actually shoot this thing. It sounds like a stainless barrel will last you a lifetime.

Also, quit buying up all the shit at the PX.
    I have a Reaction Rod and torque wrench and barrel nut wrench.

It's the precision head spacing that wigs me out.

I guess if I buy some head spacing gauges, I'll be in good shape.

I'd rather pay $100 to ship both ways to Noveske though.

My guns are not just tools.

If I wanted a "tool" I'd buy a Colt and be done with it.

They are my prized possessions and trophies.

I would never take my car to anyone but a dealer, either.

I do in fact have a friend who is a highly skilled gunsmith and former manufacturer.

He is 75 though and may not be as capable in 10 years from now when I imagine this replacement to be done.

It it were not the whole head space issue, I do this job.

I consider myself to be a precision lower builder and have all the tools for lowers.
    It takes me many hours to do one because I make it perfect.
    I also go very slow to enjoy the engineering and appreciate the beauty of these machines.

It also takes me hours to refurbish an old Glock too, but I love it.

Working on guns for me is an art, not a job.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Noveske used to sell headspaced bolts with their barrels for an additional fee, IIRC. Maybe they still would. Have you tried calling them?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

A receiver block, a dab of grease, and three pulls on a torque wrench and you did everything that anyone at Noveske could have done to put that barrel on.

Noveske barrels are very expensive and very overgassed IME.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast