Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske Stainless Steel Upper: I would have preferred CHF - regrets?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

A receiver block, a dab of grease, and three pulls on a torque wrench and you did everything that anyone at Noveske could have done to put that barrel on.

Noveske barrels are very expensive and very overgassed IME.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.
    This.

If you can remove and replace a wheel on your vehicle, you can replace a barrel.

Feedback Score
    Noveske would most likely be the best source of what they will or will not do.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=17K;296690.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.[/QUOTE]

Gotta go with that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

A receiver block, a dab of grease, and three pulls on a torque wrench and you did everything that anyone at Noveske could have done to put that barrel on.

Noveske barrels are very expensive and very overgassed IME.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.
    Really?

I guess I should call CLE up and ask them for my money back from the last time they cut chambers for me to fit the bolts I provided...

Will also add that the OP bought a stainless match barrel from Noveske. No personal experience with their match barrels but I would venture to guess that they will be a little better than any random 6920 barrel from Colt as far as accuracy is concerned. May not last as long but that is the price you pay for greater accuracy sometimes.

A 6920 is not near an apples to apples comparison to a good quality SS, match grade barrel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank You all for the information and opinions.

Noveske got back to me by a quick detailed email.

1. The SS barrel will last a good while. The person at Noveske told me he has on with 10,000 rounds and is still very accurate.

2. They don't do barrel swaps right now because they are very busy.

Minus a couple hang ups, I think I can do a barrel swap when the time comes. I have lots of the equipment and just bought a Noveske barrel wrench for good measure.

Honesty, I have only fired about 10,000 rounds on my own rifle - which I am not about to retire.
    The new SS will outlive me, no doubt.

I actually received it today. It was as great if not better than I hoped. I'm really glad to have it in my collection and have since put it into storage.

The CHF from the same dealer will arrive in a couple days. It will go into the collection as well.

I'm really glad to own this upper, now.

All this talk about barrels got me excited and I bought a few barrels from another source that are CHF 10.5".
    Money in the bank as far as I am concerned.

My next purchase will be a CMMG Banshee for my SBR. I'll be having some fun shooting 22, soon.

I should be GTG with that before the fall for some foliage time shooting when the weather gets cooler.

In the mean time, my new acquisitions will be a valued addition to my collection.

I would urge people to place orders for guns and uppers from your favorite manufactures through dealers which should hold your spot.

The backlog for some stuff if over a year so you can save up in the mean time.

Either that or pay a premium if you want it now.

Thank You!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought a CHF rifle from Noveske while John was alive along with building a few stainless SBR's with their NSR rail and have been very impressed. Both the CHF and Stainless are tack drivers if I do my part, but they clearly favor a 62-77gr over 55gr whether craptastic->range->match ammo. Stainless is <MOA, while CHF is just over MOA at 100 with irons for me, but I would think a better shooter could improve upon that.

Price on the other hand is somewhat misleading as I've paid more for worse but never less for better. From a barrel wearing out standpoint 10K for stainless or way more for CHF is a lot of shooting over a long period of time for me and $7k+ at current prices. If the time comes I'd say I got my moneys worth.

Shoot them and enjoy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I bought a CHF rifle from Noveske while John was alive along with building a few stainless SBR's with their NSR rail and have been very impressed. Both the CHF and Stainless are tack drivers if I do my part, but they clearly favor a 62-77gr over 55gr whether craptastic->range->match ammo. Stainless is <MOA, while CHF is just over MOA at 100 with irons for me, but I would think a better shooter could improve upon that.

Price on the other hand is somewhat misleading as I've paid more for worse but never less for better. From a barrel wearing out standpoint 10K for stainless or way more for CHF is a lot of shooting over a long period of time for me and $7k+ at current prices. If the time comes I'd say I got my moneys worth.

Shoot them and enjoy.
    God Bless John!

I have two from his time.

$7,000 is enough money to put me in a Jeep Wrangler if added to my next car fund. Or, even a Bronco.

I shoot enough to stay sharp but as things are right now - I just want to own hardware without blowing too much ammo.

Feedback Score
    It’s Younger Women, faster Horses 🐎,more money 💰
    It’s a barrel

Feedback Score
    Im not reading through this thread but your saying you pretty much went to the spearmint rhino, got a private dance and are complaining about it afterwards
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Im not reading through this thread but your saying you pretty much went to the spearmint rhino, got a private dance and are complaining about it afterwards
    I think its closer to he reserved a private dance with the blonde at spearmint rhino then heard the brunette there is a freak but she is gone for a week and he is regretting not waiting for her. Still hasn't gotten the dance but has lots of money to pay for it.

I could be wrong, of course. He lost me worrying about barrel life on a gun he doesn't plan to shoot, then he doubled down asking if he could pay Noveske to install a new barrel after he wears out the first without shooting it.

I heard a guy with the capital police read this thread and killed himself but I don't have confirmation.

Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast