Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD 16” midlength gassing

Feedback Score

DD 16” midlength gassing

Are 16” DD rifles known to be overgassed? I know their 10.3” barrels were at one time, but I haven’t really heard anything on the 16” barrels. This is to spin off my threat about ammo temperature variations since I wonder if it’s gun problem instead. According to DD their 16” midlengths have a 0.073” gas port, and I got a complete factory V9 rifle so it’s standard carbine extension and H buffer. With Wolf Gold WM193 it’s ejecting 2 o’clock, sometimes even more forward, and it was doing this when I shot this weekend when it was warm but not that hot, mid 80s overcast. I tried several 5.56 loads and it was consistently doing the same thing. Round count is ~1400.

On paper this rifle should feel soft to shoot, but compared to my friend’s build, which is BA upper, Aero M16 BCG, Spikes lower, mine feels more gassy. His gas port is 0.078” and with carbine buffer. His ejection is right around 3 o’clock. Shooting his rifle with WM193 feels like shooting mine with PMC Bronze, and he hasn’t had any problems, though I personally haven’t seen his rifle being shot in cold weather.
    Last edited by ta0117; 08-02-21 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't worry about it. Daniel Defense is a quality product. My BCM middy pin gauged at .076 and it actually feels gassier than my brother's LMT carbine.

I would just roll with what you got, those guns shoot lights out. And a little bit of extra gas only insures proper function

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it really bothers you, you can go with one of BRT's gas tubes, and/or an H2 buffer. I went with one of their gas block inserts, when they still sold those, on a BCM pencil barrel as I felt the recoil impulse was way more than it should have been and it really helped.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another option is a quality adjustable gas block, an example is SLR, and you can tune it for lockback w Wolf Gold or PMC. Gas port size becomes irrelevant, and if adjustment screw freezes w carbon, so what, unless a suppressor is being used. Even then, a charging handle w a raised lip to block gas will help.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I thought they were .074” which is fine. One of the best gassed 16” mids you can get.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I thought they were .074” which is fine. One of the best gassed 16” mids you can get.
    My last 3 have gauged out at 0.076"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    When I asked, they said that their 16” midlengths had 0.073” gas ports

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    My last 3 have gauged out at 0.076"
    I thought that’s the gas port size of their 14” midlengths.

Feedback Score
    Put in H2 buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have a DD 14.5” mid length and it’s a very soft shooter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
    Put in H2 buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or, be confident that when you buy a top shelf rifle, the engineers know something, and just shoot it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast