Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some Gear! Thoughts on belts, holsters, rigs…

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Need some Gear! Thoughts on belts, holsters, rigs…

Hey ya’ll! Im looking for some thoughts on training gear. There is simply far to much out there for me to make a buying decision on my own.

I am looking for advice and thoughts on three separate categories.

CCW, Training, Battle

Here are my general thoughts and where I am currently at, but am 1000% open to hear more as I have almost zero experience in this space.

1. An everyday CC rig. Probably a leather holster or whatever most think is best. I use both a 5 shot appendix holster, or a IWB Exodus right hand leather holster. I also have a Tenicor Velo4 that’s AIWB (but don’t carry it often).

What I have:
    Currently using a Vesacarry leather belt. It’s served me well the last 4 years but it’s not sagging and stretched. It definitely need to be replaced.

What I’m considering:
    A mean gene leather Victory Aegis” Belt with Aegis Buckle
    Or
    Aegis enhanced belt

I have zero experience with either. Looking for possible thoughts or impressions of the belts if you have owned one before. Lastly, anything else considering! If it’s solid, and worth it, I don’t mind spending the extra money

2. I need a “training rig”. Something that will be good for a kydex holster probably some taco mag pouches, and whatever else. I dont want this to be to heavy, just something I can swap things out here and there for classes.

I do not have a set up as it sits right. Is. I’ve been told to possibly combine up this category and the third one. What I’ve been looking at is the following:

Acl belt. Looks interesting, and a friend of mine has one… he highly recommended it.

If you all have thoughts here I would love to hear them/thoughts on combining up categories. Biggest issues is sometimes during a training class a 3oclock own kydex holster is going to just be better. So this needs to be addressed.

3. A duty type rig that will be use specific to only a 2011. Im not gonna say “battle belt” but essentially that’s what it would be. Belt, holster, mag holders, etc… it would be paired with some nods, a rifle, and a 2011… it probably will not be eluded much as it’s a shit hits the fan kinda rig (that I’ll probably never use)…

Possibly the following: Axl belt, Philster enigma, G-Code, Blue force gear chlk belt?

Extras:
    Defense mechanism mag pouch
    Magpul dump pouch
    Blue force gear pouch, magazine tacos pouch?

If any of you have in depth knowledge and experience with this stuff I would greatly appreciate thoughts, recommendations, and advice!

Thx
    Last edited by cundiff5535; 08-02-21 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    Quite a lot to take in there. Here is my 2 cents worth of advise:
    1: I look for comfort and in my carry belt, I like the ferro concepts edc because the little gut I can't seem to loose works perfectly with the thin strip of the belt while comfortably holding my S&W sheild at my 5'O clock position. I also purchased a Groove belt (I know I'm going to catch crap on here) but it works great with outdoor pants when hiking and working outdoors and holds up a OWB or IWB holster while looking not tactical. I'm sure that there is another 100 companies that do awesome belts but these have been my go-to.

2. My training belt is my warbelt, battle belt, whatever...
    I use the Grey Ghost Belt because it runs a soft padded belt that can either go in my belt loops or over the belt loops when wearing a jacket and then still uses hook and loop. I like it, having said that I really liked using the older version of the Viking Tactics belt, because it just worked. It didn't loop into my pants and because it was black I feel like it was a heat magnet, and it did tend to move up my mid-section when in odd shooting positions (Under a car, certain prone type) but overall was fine, I'll probably move toward ATS tactical or HSGI belt, for certain times, I still like the idea of a patrol webbing setup for certain situations. I used to have the AWS belt with the molle panels and it worked, but GGG and Viking Tactics were more favorable in my opinion. I hear good things from Blue Alpha and others (Ferro again), but I don't have first hand experience.

For pouches, I have heard really great things about the Defense Mechanisms ( I have their Plate Carrier), and will probably buy some mag pouches in the future, I tend to run Esstac kywi's that work super well, but can sort of cut into your gut (or mine after turning 35) with their kydex inserts in those awkward prone positions. I would personally stay away from the HGSI tacos, unless you place shock cord system to hold in the magazines after extended use, or ensure that you re-tighten the pouch after awhile.

Dump pouch I really like the Blue Force gear because it folds up so nice. Medkit I am currently using he LBX due to size but I'm looking at others currently looking at others like the Live the Creed stuff. Links below for everything.

https://atstacticalgear.com/load-bearing/belts/
    https://ferroconcepts.com/collections/belts
    https://greyghostgear.com/products/u...h-padded-inner
    https://groovelife.com/groove-belt
    https://defensemechanisms.com/shock-cord-system/
    https://esstac.com/5-56-single-kywi-midlength/
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-sp...ump-pouch.html
    https://lbxtactical.com/collections/medp/products/65
    https://ltcreed.com/products/responder-ifak
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Double Tap
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply Hank, I’ll give that a look over! Appreciate the insight!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For concealed carry, I’m into horsehide and kydex. Too many holsters out there to name them all, but I really like Dara. I like the very slight cant that is available, and the rounded belt clips. For belts, check out Beltman, High Noon, and Better Belt’s horsehide offerings. High Noon has the best “natural” color belt, but the worst black one. Beltman has more width and color options; I really like their black belt. If you’ve been wearing a leather belt, you’ll probably be happy with a horsehide belt without the optional additional internal reinforcements.

Crye has a low profile battle belt that works well for a training setup, or for wearing a light plate carrier, such as the JPC. If you’re hanging a lot off it, you’ll want to use a velcro inner belt. There are probably other good ones; its just the one I have the most experience with.

Crye has a Blast Belt that is freaking awesome in general, and also has some thickness that helps with bulkier armor with side plates. You can also use their suspenders to turn it into kinda a LBE that you can throw your rifle armor on over at will. But I’ve found that even without that, it does a good job of staying between my greater trochanters and iliac crests. I wear a L, and I’m pretty skinny, so don’t cheat yourself when you order.

Strangely, good retention holsters that work with molle are not as common as I would like, but Safariland and G Code do it. I’m moving toward Safariland because it is what I am issued, and because its retention is very red dot friendly. Its just a pain to decipher the model numbers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For concealed carry I use a DeSantis E25. It's just a basic leather belt. It's inexpensive and works well for me. My next belt I'll probably try something with a ratchet since that has the ability for a slightly better fit instead of just a hole every inch.

https://www.desantisholster.com/1-1-...arry-edc-belt/

Hank put up a lot of good info on the other type of belt. I too use one holster for training/battle/war/not daily use. I use a Ronin belt.

Some belts have a velcro under belt and some are just padded belts you throw over whatever you're wearing. Both have their + and - . Velcro is technically more secure as the under belt goes through your pants belt loops and then the main belt gets velcro'd to that. However, if it's something you plan to throw on in an emergency you better have the under belt already ready to go in a pair of pants. Otherwise you'll be trying to thread a belt through your pants before you can do anything else.

The padded belts just go over your existing belt and pant you have on at the moment. Faster and easier although slightly less secure. Still work fine but you gotta have your size down or the belt may start to slide down.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 08-03-21 at 10:34.

Feedback Score
    For a battlebelt/war rig... I vastly prefer.. whatever the pistol... a safariland 6004 thigh holster. Been using them for +/- 20 years and really love them. Just practice the drawstroke and get familiar with the nuance and differences.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I started a thread on this but this is what I have learned. I wish I bought a Safariland 6004 Single leg shroud with DFA. It incorporates their Quick locking system that you can buy multiple different holsters or mag pouches and plug into the same belt. Vs you build a belt for each gun PITA and costly.

You can use whatever battle belt you like and keep any additional light pouches or tourniquet pouches, dump pouch etc in place while you change guns. It is awesome and I think it’s brilliant.

I just read the Entryteams post after posting, 100%.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-04-21 at 17:37.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I started a thread on this but this is what I have learned. I wish I bought a Safariland 6004 Single leg shroud with DFA. It incorporates their Quick locking system that you can buy multiple different holsters or mag pouches and plug into the same belt. Vs you build a belt for each gun PITA and costly.

You can use whatever battle belt you like and keep any additional light pouches or tourniquet pouches, dump pouch etc in place while you change guns. It is awesome and I think it’s brilliant.

I just read the Entryteams post after posting, 100%.

PB
    Yeah, that is 100% the way to go, brother. I am right there with you.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    If your getting out there regularly you will find that your gear will change a lot over time and as you gain experience with it.

My load out from 1987 was nothing like my load out from 1997 which is nothing like my load out from today.

Also my load out from when I was young and dumb and we challenged each other to carry 80+ lbs. on 20 mile rucks is much different than my 35 lb 'ish rucks now with slightly less ammo but more "old man" comforts like better cold weather gear. But I've also done 2 mile run/hike/hills challenges with that weight in a ruck and done well, so for me it's better than 40 more lbs. of crap I can't move fast with.

Experience factors in there also- I had hypothermia twice in the field when I was young. Now certain cold weather gear stays in my rucks year round, does not get switched out for "summer vs. winter."

As far as "training gear" and "fighting gear" you mentioned- IMO there really shouldn't be a difference. If you have plates you should train in your plates. I've run up many a mountainside with plates and chest rig on, and I'm a thousand years old- you can too.

You'll never know if your "fighting gear" is adequate if you don't at least train regularly in it.

Some GENERAL considerations re: gear-

*Avoid large solid black pieces of gear. It does not blend well in the field.

*Set your gear up so you can use your rifle both right and left handed. This begs the question can you access at least some of your mags while shooting left handed?

*You don't want a bunch of extraneous crap hanging off your gear. Don't "stack" mag pouches, nothing hanging loose to catch on stuff, etc.

*Tie down anything your serious about keeping. "But it's Molle"- use black zip ties as a backup to that. Doesn't really add weight but does add insurance.

*Differentiate between square range fun times and actual field use- How about that pack of Lifesavers look? What am I talking about?? The electrical tape on mags so you can find them easier. Some guys put the tape too low and then you see red, yellow, green, etc. sticking out across the front of their chest rig- looks like a dang pack of Lifesavers candy....

*Same as above goes for the "morale" patches with bright colors, etc. I've seen guys put more into their morale patches than their functional gear... and it showed...

So get all your gear on, unloaded rifle in hand and check some stuff- move your rifle from shoulder to shoulder, when your on your "off" side check can you access mags. Kneel down and do the same from both sides. Now go prone. This part may be enlightening- how low can you go with your gear? Anything not accessible now? Move around, see what needs to happen in order to access: mags, TQ, pistol, knives, etc. What about supine? Then move around in the gear a bit. This will give you a decent idea of what may be knocking, what may need tightening, etc.

The biggest thing is just get out to some classes, spend some time in the field with your gear, etc. Good luck.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast