Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question to real ‘pipe-hitters’ ‘snake-eaters’ etc-true effective range of AR?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    SAM-R, about 900 yards. Regular ol' M4, about 550. 99% were under 400 yards.
    Last edited by chuckman; 08-05-21 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    The longest hit that I made with an AR is 740M which is 809 yards. I did that with my 16" BCM SOCOM upper which I borrowed a friends 3-15 scope. I was shooting 75gr PRVI match and using the ballistic calculator app on my phone, the round was transitioning from supersonic/subsonic at that range. I had more misses than hits at that range. The next longer ranged target at the range I was shooting at was 810M (885 yards) and I was unsuccessful in hitting the target at that range using the rifle I had. I was comfortable making hits on the targets which were ranged between 600M-650M. Overall, I was happy with the performance of my rifle considering I was shooting a relatively basic AR with a chrome line barrel, with relatively standard trigger (BCM trigger), and cheap match ammo.

Although I shot to 740M with that rifle, I still consider it more of a 600M gun simply because that was the range that I felt I had a high probability of a hit if I did my job right.

With the optic I normally mount on the rifle (SWFA 1x4) I consider the rifle a 500M gun more simply due to the limits of my sight and since I normally don't mount a bipod on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just don't.

Voodoochild
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    You don't need to be Chuck Norris to clang steel at 600 yards with a 5.56 rifle.

Hell....there's an entire sport called service rifle that does it regularly . . . .with iron sights

just shoot

100%

I like that. Just shoot.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-06-21 at 05:21.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    IF you know the tenants of marksmanship, have accurate, heavy grained ammo, a good optic & can call wind...youre good on out to 800yds or more.
    Iraqgunz..I THINK it was him, told a story of witnessing an 800yd {I THNK} shot whilst in the desert. Dont know if it was with an optic or what.
    But anyway..its WAY out past 300 yards.
    Five minutes of instruction and my 17-year-old son was killing E-type steel targets to 875 yards shooting 77-grainers through a mid-length:

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Five minutes of instruction and my 17-year-old son was killing E-type steel targets to 875 yards shooting 77-grainers through a mid-length:

Is it free-floated?

Besides that, it’s awesome to see that he’s obviously having fun doing it with you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

That is awesome!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelshooter View Post
    I think ya hit on it.
    Longest shot I’ve taken with a 5.56 load is 853 yards. Hit the rock I was aiming for, and did it with a fair amount of repeatability. From prone with bipod not really terribly difficult to do in the conditions I had. Same results with single loaded

So I see people talking about 5.56 being limited to 300 meters and not being a “600 yard gun” kinda makes me scratch my head, but if one has never trained past 300 yards how would they know?
    Being able to ring steel and/or hit paper at 800 is one thing, the round maintaining it’s lethality at 800 is another. I’m not doubting the round can get on target there (regularly shot to 500 with iron sights), but I’m doubting it’s capability/lethality on the human body once it gets there.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-06-21 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Being able to ring steel and/or hit paper at 800 is one thing, the round maintaining it’s lethality at 800 is another. I’m not doubting the round can get on target there (regularly shot to 500 with iron sights), but I’m doubting it’s capability/lethality on the human body once it gets there.
    The numbers according to Strelok are: 1200 FPS making 250 foots pounds of energy. So its in the 9mm/380 arena of 'knock down power'. Also if you are using tipped or BTHP rounds they still MIGHT do their little fragmentation trick. It's not an absolute death beam like 556 point blank; but should you hit the vitals it will still kill 2 legged critters. Anywhere other than vitals and your target is having a bad day. Good thing 556 allows for amazing fast follow up shots.

For reference:

my 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 ELDM's is making 1700 FPS and 900ft#'s at 800. I'm sure THAT is where most people would consider lethality; but a soft skinned critter still couldn't shrug off a hit from 556 at that distance. I think people forget that 556 from a M249 is considered effective out too a kilometer or more. Plunging fire does kill maim and wound even if the numbers dont look super hot.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 08-06-21 at 20:38.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    In my opinion, this is where mobility comes into play.

If all I manage is to wing you at 500, then I'll start aggressively closing the distance until I'm close enough to kill you. Almost every time I ever shot at someone, it was followed by maneuvering toward or using indirect fire to prevent their egress while we kept killing them with 240s/mortars. Applying that mentality to where I am in life now (no gun teams or calling for fire...lame) if I can hit it, I'll start making my way closer until I can kill it or I'll break contact.

I think that with the OPs rifle, a 600m max effective range is realistic. But a rack grade trigger finger and shitty tactics will squash that distance pretty quickly.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast