Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel SPR Build (barrel?)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

6.5 Grendel SPR Build (barrel?)

So I'm pondering this SPR'ish build which I am current collecting parts for and I thought, why not do it in 6.5 Grendel? I am all about the improved external ballistics and increased range of the cartridge, but I really have no experience outside of 5.56 ARs.

Does anyone make a 18" SPR contour, rifle gas system, stainless barrel? I know it's a tall order and I've had no luck finding one thus far. Seems the mid length gas is much more popular, but I really want a rifle length gas so I can do a Mk.12 Mod 0 type upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    So I'm pondering this SPR'ish build which I am current collecting parts for and I thought, why not do it in 6.5 Grendel? I am all about the improved external ballistics and increased range of the cartridge, but I really have no experience outside of 5.56 ARs.

Does anyone make a 18" SPR contour, rifle gas system, stainless barrel? I know it's a tall order and I've had no luck finding one thus far. Seems the mid length gas is much more popular, but I really want a rifle length gas so I can do a Mk.12 Mod 0 type upper.
    Alexander Arms makes a 24 inch rifle length stainless barrel. If all else fails buy one and have a smith turn it down, thread and re-crown it for you.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You can't do an Mk12-ish using the 18" AA barrel? Is gas position really that critical to the look?

You could call Satern Barrels if you really need rifle gas port location...
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 12-10-08 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    You can't do an Mk12-ish using the 18" AA barrel? Is gas position really that critical to the look?

You could call Satern Barrels if you really need rifle gas port location...
    No not really, but I was hoping to maintain a rifle length gas system for the impulse and recoil benefits. The AA "SPR" is the most attractive at this point.

rubberneck, if all else fails having ADCO or someone turn a barrel may be my best option.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Satern Barrels - $485 6.5G Barrel

I am almost sure you can indicate gas position on these, they are $165 more than the AA barrel though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Satern Barrels - $485 6.5G Barrel

I am almost sure you can indicate gas position on these, they are $165 more than the AA barrel though.
    Yeah I was checking them and Sabre out. I am still thinking the AA barrel may be the winner. I'm in no rush though so I'll just research more. Thanks for the help rubberneck and Shivan.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 12-10-08 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    CSS who uses L-W barrels makes an 18" rifle length gas system. A little more $$ than the AA which uses Shaw barrels but is probably a little more accurate.

The guy who started CSS developed the 6.5G with Bill A and had a falling out so he doesn't call his 6.5G.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz View Post
    CSS who uses L-W barrels makes an 18" rifle length gas system. A little more $$ than the AA which uses Shaw barrels but is probably a little more accurate.

The guy who started CSS developed the 6.5G with Bill A and had a falling out so he doesn't call his 6.5G.
    Wow, thank you for bringing this information to this thread!

Feedback Score
    Been thinking about building a 6.5 myself. Guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and contribute when I have something to show.
    Do have one question: Anyone think it would be worth the effort and cost to build this on a billet upper and lower, for the supposed strength gain, or just work with a quality upper/lower. Reason I ask is that I have one of Global Tactical/Denny's Guns ion bonded upper and lower and I'm looking for something to do with them, other than sale them for a profit. It'll either be a precision rifle around 6.5 or an SBR, suppressed beater gun.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Been thinking about building a 6.5 myself. Guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and contribute when I have something to show.
    Do have one question: Anyone think it would be worth the effort and cost to build this on a billet upper and lower, for the supposed strength gain, or just work with a quality upper/lower. Reason I ask is that I have one of Global Tactical/Denny's Guns ion bonded upper and lower and I'm looking for something to do with them, other than sale them for a profit. It'll either be a precision rifle around 6.5 or an SBR, suppressed beater gun.
    That's a good question, as to which all I can say is while designing the SPR Mk. 12 Crane didn't seem to find any advantage to going with a billet upper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast