Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.5 Grendel SPR Build (barrel?)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    But the question is, does the 6.5G need the M4 cut to make it feed correctly?
    My CSS (L-W) does not have M4 cuts and I've had no problems. But I don't use soft point ammo.

From 6.5Grendel thread The M4 cut discussion starts about halfway down.
    Last edited by koz; 12-13-08 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Think I'm going to go the billet upper and lower. Probably gross overkill, but what the heck! Now, just need to decide on barrel, barrel length, ....

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    I used a Saber 20" SS fluted .

Don't worry about the midlength gas systems for your MK12ModO clone . A low profile gas block fits no problem under the PRI handguard

You just need to justify a $200 PRI gas block flip up sight that is being used as a sight only

I have a older pic that doesn't show the Arms40 and PRI front sight on yet.

I spoke to the "6.5 Grendel man" Bill Alexander , who BTW is very inclined to share his vast knowledge and a great guy to ask advice from. I decided on leaving the Saber barrel at 20" after talking with him
    Last edited by trg42; 12-14-08 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trg42 View Post
    I used a Saber 20" SS fluted .

Don't worry about the midlength gas systems for your MK12ModO clone . A low profile gas block fits no problem under the PRI handguard

You just need to justify a $200 PRI gas block flip up sight that is being used as a sight only

I have a older pic that doesn't show the Arms40 and PRI front sight on yet.

I spoke to the "6.5 Grendel man" Bill Alexander , who BTW is very inclined to share his vast knowledge and a great guy to ask advice from. I decided on leaving the Saber barrel at 20" after talking with him
    That is almost exactly what I would be going for. I too have recently been debating a 20" barrel if nothing else for the extra 2" worth of of velocity. I still would like this rifle to be nice and light and handy...

Feedback Score
    OK, so who makes magazines for a 6.5G? I did find some at:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/211.php

Don't know if they're C Products or whose.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Looks like from all that I read that the magazine is the weakest link in the 6.5G system. Single source (C-Products) with very inconsistent QC and an apparent reluctance to address the problem. I was all set to buy a LaRue billet upper and lower, but now I re-thinking the process. Might go a completely different direction and go with a bolt gun (AI), even though I wanted to stick to the AR platform for continuity of parts, training, etc.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Looks like from all that I read that the magazine is the weakest link in the 6.5G system. Single source (C-Products) with very inconsistent QC and an apparent reluctance to address the problem. I was all set to buy a LaRue billet upper and lower, but now I re-thinking the process. Might go a completely different direction and go with a bolt gun (AI), even though I wanted to stick to the AR platform for continuity of parts, training, etc.
    It is correct that the magazine is still the weakest link in the 6.5 Grendel system but the critisism is a little harsh. Since the first Grendel magazines were produced we have undertaken a continuing series of modifications to improve the magazines and also continue with this work. QA is under constant review and with the changes in coatings and the new followers the current Grendel magazines are reliable and durable.

We are continuing to work on the magazines and have already laid out a series of changes that will be implemented and tested before being released as applicable.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    All well and good, but, and I know it's speculation, the AWBII will put an abrupt end to product improvement. I'm looking for something I can use now, today. Not maybe in the future and completely dependent on the whims of the politburo.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    the current Grendel magazines are reliable and durable.
    I am extremely pleased with our current generation magazines, but as with any product it would be remiss to simply abandon any further research.

This year I intend to launch a new hard use carrier group as an option for both the Beowulf and the Grendel (maybe 5.56) for guns that have to absorb very high round counts, does the product need such an enhancement? For 99% of the users, probably not, but we have continued to work in this area, the same applies to the magazines. I will continue to test and incorporate improvements as I find them.

Bill Alexander

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123