Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many of you are issued a full auto?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    That's the Stoner system at work. I'm not saying BCM is bad by any means, but Colt has a big edge on them (and most everyone else for that matter) for about half the price. More durable bolts and more durable, more accurate barrels. Especially with the ranges they're looking at out there in the desert, I would want that extra precision you get with the Colt barrels.

As for the full auto course, I could see that being especially cheap insurance for small teams out there alone in the desert. If they meet up with some cartel people by accident I would personally feel better if someone were laying down covering fire.
    I have seen no degrade in accuracy with the BCM uppers vs. Colt. As far as durability is concerned, BCM is hammer-forged vs button-rifled for Colt. Hammer forging is widely acknowledged as being superior for long term use.

As far as FA in a team setting is concerned, fwiw, BPA's generally work alone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Where is the data that shows Colt bolts and barrels are more durable than BCM? Both companies' bolts are made from the same materials using the same processes. Both have rigorous QC measures in place. I'm very curious about the data showing where button rifled barrels (Colt) are more durable than hammer forged (BCM).

Not arguing about accuracy - Colt builds accurate barrels.

Andy
    TDP magic sauce man. It's the cumulative secret knowledge that's the result of 70 years of building ARs. Millions of them, and each one firing tens of thousands of rounds. I hate to even admit it because Colt is such a unionized hot mess that hasn't been true to its civilian customers, but they know how to build a good bolt and barrel. To my knowledge, they're still the sole source of bolts for the Mk18 to this day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I have seen no degrade in accuracy with the BCM uppers vs. Colt. As far as durability is concerned, BCM is hammer-forged vs button-rifled for Colt. Hammer forging is widely acknowledged as being superior for long term use.

As far as FA in a team setting is concerned, fwiw, BPA's generally work alone
    I've seen that claim made numerous times, but I suspect it's more marketing than anything. Colt's barrels shoot better than any chrome lined barrel should, and they're durable to boot.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    TDP magic sauce man. It's the cumulative secret knowledge that's the result of 70 years of building ARs. Millions of them, and each one firing tens of thousands of rounds. I hate to even admit it because Colt is such a unionized hot mess that hasn't been true to its civilian customers, but they know how to build a good bolt and barrel. To my knowledge, they're still the sole source of bolts for the Mk18 to this day.
    The TDP cat has been out of the bag for years.

Not arguing that Colt cannot build a good (even great) bolt and barrel, but I do not believe the testing data exists that will demonstrate a Colt bolt is more durable than a BCM.

As Gunnerblue pointed out, there is no question HF barrels outlast button rifled barrels.

Andy

Feedback Score
    But…. But…. COLT!!

Feedback Score
    !!TLOC ….tuB ….tuB
    Last edited by WillieThom; 09-13-21 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The TDP cat has been out of the bag for years.

Not arguing that Colt cannot build a good (even great) bolt and barrel, but I do not believe the testing data exists that will demonstrate a Colt bolt is more durable than a BCM.

As Gunnerblue pointed out, there is no question HF barrels outlast button rifled barrels.

Andy
    I don't know what you mean by the TDP cat being out of the bag. The only companies who have seen it are contractors, and if they got caught selling contract parts on the commercial market without giving Colt its cut they would be sued into oblivion. Not only that, but they simply don't go to the trouble. It's too much work and expense to go through all that for a rifle that's going to be shot one time and then sit in a safe for ten to twenty years before being sold and the process starting over again. The average AR won't see 100 rounds in as many years.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    TDP was included in a solicitation https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...etition-06942/

Contract overruns are sold all the time - see Minnies Machine Company "SOCOM" barrels https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Socom-Barrels

We are thread drifting hard, myself included. FWIW, I can actually get behind the BP officers running select fire carbines.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TDP was included in a solicitation https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...etition-06942/

Contract overruns are sold all the time - see Minnies Machine Company "SOCOM" barrels https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Socom-Barrels

We are thread drifting hard, myself included. FWIW, I can actually get behind the BP officers running select fire carbines.

Andy
    For sure. Not politically, but definitely from a practical perspective.

Definitely aware that contract parts get sold from time to time, but it's not the norm, and you never know if those are the rejects that didn't make the cut (which I think is highly likely).

I'm not saying BCM is bad, mind you, just that it's an arguably inferior product at twice the cost. Or at best, a virtually identical product at twice the cost.
    Last edited by okie; 09-14-21 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For sure. Not politically, but definitely from a practical perspective.

Definitely aware that contract parts get sold from time to time, but it's not the norm, and you never know if those are the rejects that didn't make the cut (which I think is highly likely).

I'm not saying BCM is bad, mind you, just that it's an arguably inferior product at twice the cost. Or at best, a virtually identical product at twice the cost.
    I am in the equal quality, higher cost camp.

Andy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456