Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LAPD selects FN 509 MRD-LE for new duty pistol

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I thought there was an issue when those frames get real hot, they go Gumby effect and turn to mush. Is that still a thang?

PB
    That was true of prior FN guns like the FNP/FNX/FNS.

Not with the 509.

FN’s prior polymer guns had a lot of problems. FN finally woke up, brought in a team of people who actually knew service pistols and completely started over with a clean slate for the 509.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Seems like they will be issued to new hires for the next 5 years. Those that want are free to buy personal guns from an approved list as well.
    Correct.

When LAPD switches issued guns they do not transition the whole department.

Those happy with their Glocks, S&W, Berettas, 1911s, 2011s just keep on keeping on unless they want to buy the née hotness as a personally owned weapon.

The more interesting question is will LAPD be issuing the 509s with an optic and if so which one(s)?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Available for law enforcement agencies only

Whatever.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We'll be making RMR plates for it, probably ACRO plates as well.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the gun or for the contract?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the gun, LAPD didn't ask us to, we're taking the initiative. After seeing the modular arrangement and plastic plate construction, we know we can do better for a duty/issued gun.
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-23-21 at 18:04.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Either way keep up the good work.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    https://www.police1.com/police-produ...iIoMtK9B18Xg58

This article provides more details of the LAPD testing process which resulted in the selection of the 509.

It’s interesting that in addition to duty and standard FMJ training amp, the test specifically included non toxic ammo. IME non toxic / frangible ammo is very hard on guns.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You also have to make sure the green ammo you use will function in the guns you plan on buying. Years ago we had all 42 grain green training ammo for our DRMO M16A1s. We bought a batch of M4 to begin replacement of the M16s and all the training ammo (42gr) wouldn't cycle in the brand new carbines. Not something you want to find out after spending thousands on new weapons. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s interesting that in addition to duty and standard FMJ training amp, the test specifically included non toxic ammo. IME non toxic / frangible ammo is very hard on guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    You also have to make sure the green ammo you use will function in the guns you plan on buying. Years ago we had all 42 grain green training ammo for our DRMO M16A1s. We bought a batch of M4 to begin replacement of the M16s and all the training ammo (42gr) wouldn't cycle in the brand new carbines. Not something you want to find out after spending thousands on new weapons. David
    Nothing you guys don't already know, but for the benefit of others. Things that occur to me... I don't what LA has for green ranges or which skus they use. If I was buying that many guns though I'd sure test for it. LF primers can be quirky in striker guns, guns can be nearer functional threshold overall, and then there's breechface and FP tip erosion in some. If they're mounting optics and potentially giving them to IBOs, I'd look at that even harder.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast