Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent Budget LPVO Mount

Feedback Score
    Have owned Aero, Geissele, Nightforce, Midwest Industries, Badger (older unimount, not Condition One), ADM, and Leupold Mark IMS. I never had a problem with Aero mounts but they are somewhat more fiddly to get mounted. They aren't confidence inspiring to look at or hold because of how light they really are. That said, it's probably mostly in my head, as I truly had no issues and didn't baby them.

Geissele was fantastic but expensive. MI was very solid for QD (still have an Aimpoint PRO on a MI/SKD hybrid setup and it'll stay that way forever) but super heavy. The Badger mount I had was not current and so doesn't really factor. The two ADM scope mounts I had were heavy but functional, though I've had two separate 30mm Aimpoint mounts of theirs that were improperly machined and impossible to actually get tight on the body of the sight. The Leupold was chosen solely because I needed a 35mm mount for a Mark 5HD, but it is a tank (in a good way).

My personal favorites are the NF Unimounts because they are still relatively light (5 ounces and some change), svelte in profile, cheaper than Geissele/Badger, and have a large flat section on the base that works extremely well with the Arisaka leveler. Only downside, in my view, is the lack of taller options.
    Last edited by rockapede; 08-13-21 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt08 View Post
    What about the Midwest Industries mounts? Anyone have experience with them?
    MIdwest are great too. They have a non QD for around $130

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I've got the Vortex Sport mount. Why do you prefer the Aero?
    It's the lightest weight and under $100.

One of the most over looked aspects of the "weak" aero mount is the fact that it has 3 locking lugs. A design doesn't need mass to have strength. At Aero they build plane parts and I'm positive their engineers understand things like load, force and stress.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

One of the most over looked aspects of the "weak" aero mount is the fact that it has 3 locking lugs. A design doesn't need mass to have strength. At Aero they build plane parts and I'm positive their engineers understand things like load, force and stress.
    Except that the failure point seems to be where the two rings interconnect up top, not at the lugs.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love me some Reptilia 1.54 mounts. Badger 1.54's are good too. Just don't particularly like giant nuts hanging off my optic mount. I can get Reptilia mounts for a pretty affordable price too.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Except that the failure point seems to be where the two rings interconnect up top, not at the lugs.
    I know I have seen at least one person post about an Aero mount that broke there, but have certainly not seen a lot of reports. I have both 1" and 30mm Aero mounts (used on an AR-22) and no issues other than it's a pain to mount the scope level (similar to the original Weaver rings).

I personally prefer the Warne Xskel mounts to the Aero.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-19-21 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I know I have seen at least one person post about an Aero mount that broke there, but have certainly not seen a lot of reports. I have both 1" and 30mm Aero mounts (used on an AR-22) and no issues other than it's a pain to mount the scope level (similar to the original Weaver rings).

I personally prefer the Warne Xskel mounts to the Aero.

Andy
    I haven't seen "lots of reports" either, but the posts I have seen around the web have all had the breaks up top. The comment was primarily aimed at the previous post that the Aero mount has an "overlooked" strength. I don't recall any questions about the durability of the Aero and a lack of strength at the base or the lugs for the rail. On the contrary, the base and the lugs, have been pointed out as a plus when compared to similar lightweight mounts like the Daniel Defense which does not have lugs.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That is amazingly low $ for an AR scope mount. They are made in China, no suprise at that price point.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    They are made in China, no suprise at that price point.
    That is disappointing. The only UTG product I have, a fixed front sight, was made in Taiwan. I thought other UTG products were too as the company profile seems to imply. However the product page for that mount explicitly says China. Most of the other product pages do not give a country of origin; perhaps it is Taiwan? The UTG Pro products state Made in USA.

The Vortex Sport mount is also made in China which I only learned upon receipt. It was part of a bundle with the Bushnell AR Optics 1-6x24mm, the only non-Chinese LPVO I could find at that price point, or I would have sent it back.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I own a Warne, Aero, and Vortex....

The Aero is my favorite by ALOT. The aero is on my 2gun rifle that has never been babied for years. Haven't found it to be 'weak' like all the other poster's that I'm sure haven't owned one, claim to say. In fact if anyone wants to trade an Aero for my Warne or Vortex mounts, hit me up.

You were saying?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Aero-Precision

BTW, I have owned one, which is why I brought it up.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12