Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back when GLOCK was the outlier and radical choice.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The Glock was chosen for a number of reasons, but primarily because "the bigger the gun, the bigger the ego," said Reginald Roundtree, a police spokesman.

"Drug dealers don't have little egos, so they don't have little guns," he said.

"Officers are finally going to achieve the psychological positiveness of having a weapon comparable to what they're running into on the streets," Roundtree said. "These guns definitely will pay for themselves in the long- run.
    I think the main reason was the Glock crew had access to the VIP room at the Gold Club in Atlanta. The ladies there were also very good for the ego and psychological positiveness.

Oh man, I HATED the Glock. I was in high school in the late 80s-early 90s and my buddies worked at a local pawn shop. They were always pushing the wonders of the Glock (I was an H&K guy). I remember they were talking about dropping Glocks out of helicopters and how you didn't have to clean them, etc. I thought they were intrinsically unsafe because, for all practical purposes, they were plastic safteyless browning high powers with goofy triggers. In the early 90s Glocks started slam-firing and Glock did a non-recall recall (you could get away with that pre-internet). I was sure they were done for, LOL. Anyway, all these years later my H&K P7s are barely ever shot and mostly shoot Beretta 92s. But at least now my Gen 5 Glock 19 is one of my favorite shooters and I now view it as the safer alternative to H&K VP9s and Walthers than I that have pushed the safteyless trigger weights further into "the danger zone" LOL.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I remember shooting a Gen 1 G17 back in 1987 and hated it. Couldn't stand the slick no texture grip. Now I've got five. Cool photos, thanks for sharing.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I drank deeply of the Kool Aid in the late 80s, never looked back, no regrets, no validation necessary.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Miami_JBT View Post
    It was still when they were called Combat Tupperware and people looked down on them.
    I can't recall EVER using the word, "combat," in the same sentence with "Glock."

Ok... well I guess THAT was the first time!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I can't recall EVER using the word, "combat," in the same sentence with "Glock."

Ok... well I guess THAT was the first time!
    That’s because you weren’t issued one in OEF over the last 5+ years.

Feedback Score
    I'm not gamer or anything but I have put tens of thousands of rounds through Glocks over years. All calibers.

I'll let Mr. Griffin explain where the ejected casings go...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9AFB&FORM=VIRE

Maybe a gen 5 will be different.

Feedback Score
    I first saw one in a gun magazine advert in 1985 and could not even stand to look at it. I was 23 at the time and my three handguns then were a S&W 19, 29, and a stock 1911A1 made by Remington-Rand, all steel stuff. The Glock just looked totally wrong in so many details that I literally cursed its existence. Over the next seven years they very slowly grew on me and in 1992 I bought a new Gen. 2 G17 for $419. I LOVED it and it became my primary handgun. In later years I added a Gen. 3 G23 and an LE trade in Gen. 3 G17. The first G17 was given to my brother and he still has it. For years I've threatened to buy a G31 but with the ammo shortages and co$ts it won't be in the foreseeable future.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Read much about Glocks in the early days and it was something every 1911 owner should have - after all it's 13 rounds compared to the stock Colt Government 7 round magazine. Purchased in early 90's before AWB the G21. Excellent pistol. Then I purchased a G30 - I thought it was a much better sized pistol for me. Loved that I could use the G30 13 round magazines in it. Traded the G30 about 5 - 6 years ago as it just sat in the vault.

Today I am happy with the German Sig P220 45 with the 8 round magazine.

Feedback Score
    My first Glock was a G27 gen 3.

After 3 stoppages in about 500 rds I went back to revolvers.

Was issued a G22 as a Policeman and bought another G27 as a backup to replace my Ruger Sp101 .357.

Got a a G19 after the wife got one. It's the only Glock I still have after having several others, and carrying them a little. G26, 27, 29, 30, 30 gen 4, 32 gen 4, 20, 20SF, 21, 22, 22 gen 4, 23, 33, 34 gen 4, 35, 35 gen 4, 36, 37 gen 4, 39, 40 gen 4, and 42 and I'm forgetting some I'm sure.

Wife would limp-wrist her G19 causing stoppages so she now loves a Ruger LCR .327. (Yes she was trained how to hold a pistol properly)

I've never liked the grip shape or angle of any Glock except the G48. (Haven't fired one) I've had a couple choke enough brand new to be returned. But the biggest issue and most consistent is pelting me in the face with casings. My only Glock now, the G19, (that I CC'd for 9 years) doesn't. If it starts to it will go away, too.

I called G. Gordon Liddy ('member him?) On his radio show and asked him what he thought of Glocks.

He said he'd heard reports of "pin shear" ( 😆 🙄 ) and wasnt ready to trust them being plastic and such.
    Obviously he would have been more of a revolver / 1911 man.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-28-21 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d always respected Chuck Taylor (may he Rest In Peace), but figured he’d gone Gay when he began singing the praises of Glock.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast