Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back when GLOCK was the outlier and radical choice.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was issued a Glock 17 in 1994. Our first class to go to semi autos from S&W model 13's. Rumor I heard was we were looking hard at the Sig 226 and someone popped off a round in the clearing barrel while decocking so we went with the more revolver like Glock. The Browning Hi Power was tested also so that tells you how different things were in the early 90's. In 94 all the cool kids were running the Sig and I thought wow I'm getting issued a plastic pistol. What will my Dad think? All these years later I've probably tried every version in the major calibers. I've never been a Glock fan but I do still have a G19. Because it is what it is and it works. David

Feedback Score
    Among multiple Sigs, a Springfield Hellcat, a 1911, and a few other assorted handguns and rifles, I have the obligatory Glock 17 and a FDE Glock 19X (that I bought on a whim).

Still stock and exactly as it came from the factory, I can shoot the G17 very accurately and it’s been very reliable. Prior to my moving to red dot optics for all my carry and home defense guns, the G17 was my home defense pistol. For the $549 I paid, it’s really hard to beat, but it’s now relegated just to occasional use at the range.
    Last edited by neil0311; 10-03-21 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    Sad to say, I'm old enough to remember when the Glock was the controversial pistol. My former agency was looking at the revolver to semiautomatic transition. The competition was Beretta, SigSauer, Smith & Wesson, and Glock. The District of Columbia Metropolitan Police had gone Glock and had experienced an allegedly high number of unintentional discharges. The FBI was supposedly saying that Glocks were unsafe that allegedly didn't help relations with MPD.

Our chief hated Glock for some reason though one of his former subordinates back in Connecticut, then a lead instructor, loved combat tupperware. We discarded the idea of Glock, felt that the Third Generation S&W was too new on the market, and considered the Beretta two big. We went with the easy choice of the SigSauer P226 (which the chief's former department had adopted). The 226 (as well as the 230, 228, and 239) served us well until cracks in the frames of the by-then .40 pistols occurred.

The chief still hated Glocks. We ended up in a disastrous adoption of the FNS-9. Fast forward a couple years and a new chief, my former agency now issues Glock 17's and 19's Oh, and one 26 since the current chief is too special to carry the same gun his underlings carry. Of course, likewise with handcuffs, OC, magazines, and a BWC (who would question his judgement or integrity?).

What do I carry today? What do you think? Glock.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hated glocks

It wasn't until I went to my 1st GSSF sponsored shoot with a loaner glock 17.

I won 2nd place in Amateur civilian up in Shelton, Washington.

3 weeks later I got a check for 300 from GSSF.

That money was used to buy my loaner glock.

The dealer stealer played a trick on me and said he sold it already and I was pretty mad about that until he pulled it from the shelf.

It was a 3rd gen sales sample used at the rental range.

That's what made me win my 1st ever glock competition.

I've been sold ever since.

Why did I hate it?

Mainly because I carried a Beretta 92FS.

And everyone I knew carried a glock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bought my first Glock from an ATF agent in 1990. Pretty much been a fan since the beginning.

Carried a 1911 for over a decade. Have intermittently carried a Beretta 92 for about the same period of time. Never cared much for Sigs honestly...

If you can't fight with most any gun, you're WRONG. I can run anything from an 1805 Harpers Ferry flintlock horse pistol to any "modern" pistol you care to name..... I dislike Fanbois with great intensity. It's just a f'ing tool, don't be one.....
    Last edited by Esq.; 10-05-21 at 10:13.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Metal framed DA/SA guy myself for the longest time. I had a bunch of S&W 3Rd Gens (6900, 5900, 4000, 1000, & 4500 series), Berettas and my super favorite guns, the Sig P220 series in every flavor. Absolutely loved the P226, shot it it so well, really great gun, never an issue! No way was I ever gonna buy a Glock.They were "unsafe" and "melted in direct sunlight" as they were constructed of cheap Europlastic (Was gonna add porcelain too lol) A buddy who was a firearms instructor for the state police picked up a new G21 & G17 for great deal from a guy who wasleaving for employment in Britain. My friend wanted to unload the G17 as he was a ".45 guy". Picked it up for $300 with 6 "drop free" mags, Glock OEM holster, etc and a case of Rem 9mm HP. I shot it a bit and it was good but never compared it side by side with my other gats as it was a range gun, I'd never carry it. Took it to a class as a backup as my Sig never had an issue until it did. Trigger went floppy and nothing worked no matter what I tried to do at the very end of Day1. While trying to un**** the P226, the no nonsense Lead Instructor strolls over & pointedly asks "You do have a back up gun for the class, correct? And I don't mean Chiefs Special or something along those lines..." I told him I had a G17 ready and waiting, to which he replied "Good gun,You'll be fine, see you all here at 7AM sharp!" For the rest of the week, I used the box stock G17, OEM Glock holster and the original mags with no issues at all. So much so, I finished in the top 5 of the class , 3rd Overall shooter. I never shot Glocks extensively but that class opened my eyes to the positive points of gun. FWIW, The Sig required a gunsmith to get it backup and running as a lot of parts and springs went. I still have some of my metal framed DA/SA guns but have shifted to Glocks and M&Ps. I just shoot them and the M&Ps better no matter what Im shooting in comparison, YMMV!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've owned Glocks since 1996, I have other stuff but the Glock just works....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123