Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .........

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 12-04-22 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would ask anyone curious about running with a weight vest or the like, what is the training effect they are looking for?

Jogging with extra weight isn't very beneficial. You're not likely going to jog with extra weight in a real world event. Sprinting with weight is closer to a real world performance of the adaptation you are looking for.

Jogging (slow running in this example w/o weight) is about increasing your aerobic base, very traditionally in running training plans. Adding weight to that only makes the recovery harder without benefiting the training goal. An easy jog cannot be too slow as to not cause an adaptation, but it can be too stressful as to require more recovery which reduces the training volume, and therefore the dose of training you are receiving.

To that end, sprinting with extra weight is about expressing more power (force) while running. Hill sprints are a MUCH better way to that end. Since the footfalls have less and less height (since each one is higher and higher) there is less force on the joints. There is more on the muscles, in particular the hammy. The training needs a gradual ramp up, which is no different than any other training goal.
    Last edited by bp7178; 08-13-21 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    bp7178, it ain't about increasing the effectiveness of the workout. It's about learning to be effective in the gear. Running in a PC (especially if kitted out with a load and maybe an assault pack) changes the dynamics of your breathing. You chest expansion and diaphragm just function differently. Your balance changes, loads apply different forces on your body, if you are carrying a weapon that adds weight in your arms and changes the counterbalance.

Put reasonably fit people in gear they don't use and it kicks their ass. Throws off everything they know. Even worse when a "not so fit" guy shows up at a class that requires dynamics with a PC that he bought 2 years and 3 dress sizes ago, but tries to squeeze into.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think you missed my main point.

Any training needs to have a defined training goal.

Sprinting obstacle to obstacle in a class with your plate carrier on will not be the same as a jog with extra weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I think you missed my main point.

Any training needs to have a defined training goal.

Sprinting obstacle to obstacle in a class with your plate carrier on will not be the same as a jog with extra weight.
    Ok, I get that. I'm talking less about fitness and more about getting used to the gear. Anything you expect to do in a PC you should practice in a PC. Jog, sprint, ruck, uphill, downhill, carrying, lifting,... whatever. Hell you'd be surprised how many guys have PC's but have never actually figured out how to shoulder a rifle in it let alone actually fire from various positions.

I will also help to fit the gear, find hot spots, develop muscle and respiratory familiarity, etc. It can't hurt, and should only help an overall fitness regimen. To what extent in terms of fitness, probably not much but, meh. If it motivates a guy to move more then cool.

I ain't saying it should be paramount, no need to LARP full time. Just another thing. I also don't think the OP was offering it up as a training recommendation so much as offering tips to avoid stress and injury if one does choose to train in gear.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 08-14-21 at 12:33.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The way you use quotes makes me think you're a cop.

I agree there's value in it, but other fitness deficiencies should be addressed first. Taking a fat ****, or any very poorly conditioned person and putting them in a plate carrier isn't going to end well or have repeatability for good training effect. That being said, I think there should be a who its meant for caveat. There have been many threads on this form where some guy wants to do weighted ruck marches because its what he did as an 18 year old 40 years ago. There is a higher injury risk but you mentioned some ways to mitigate that, starting slowly, ramping over time etc. Same basic principles in any decent training program.

I didn't take this thread as a sorting out your gear kind of discussion.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You mentioned that you had been training weighted for two years or so.

Consider adding training progression examples, what week 1 looks like, week 2 etc to give more context and a background to your own fitness levels.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 12-04-22 at 00:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast