Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 80% Jig Question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great information, thanks to you both.

My wife used to do ceramics and has a spray paint pump that was used for ceramics. I'm thinking that should work out ok........But without the anodizing will they be soft? Wondering if I should look for a company that can anodize them? Thinking that through, these being lowers might make that difficult for the anodizing company.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I finished the first of six of the seven or so year old "Ghost Gunner" brand 7075-T6 80% lowers today using the 5D Tactical jig. I bought these originally to be finished on a buddies ghost gunner mill that he never got to work properly, it was generation 1 so that gives you some idea of how long they've been sitting in my powder cabinet.

Bottom line is it turned out well and the FCG I installed works perfectly after a bit of additional sanding where the hammer was binding ever so slightly on the forward portion of the FCG pocket.

Lessons I learned while milling this first 80% lower.

- Go slow and clean the milling pocket after each pass
    - Check the milling bit connection to the router frequently as it can loosen when hot
    - Clean your work surface often as those AL shavings go everywhere
    - The drilling operations are the hardest part, purchase high quality drill bits

I have some Cerakote stuff inbound and will be attempting my first Cerakote job as well. I will literally be a miracle if I can't find some way to screw this up after trying so much new stuff out.

Pics of the milled lower below.

LETS GO BRANDON
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-29-22 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

80% Jig Question

Bought all the stuff required to Cerakote the 80% lower in the post above.

Turned out pretty well for my first Cerakote job and 80% lower.

The color is E100 Blackout. Having a good spray gun seems really key to me as it was fairly easy to shoot the paint on this, even for my first time.

It will Shoooooot.

Last edited by HKGuns; 06-06-22 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    Those are some of the cleanest 80% lowers I have seen. Very nice work.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

80% Jig Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Those are some of the cleanest 80% lowers I have seen. Very nice work.
    Thank-you. It was a fun learning experience on several fronts. Finished product below.

Last edited by HKGuns; 07-02-22 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

80% Jig Question

Finally was able to get it to the range after being in the EU on business for a couple of weeks.

- Side note: My unvaccinated ass was in Germany - Romania - UK without any issue, not even a question as to status. I was around lots of people, including the unwashed public and managed to not catch the HIV or contract Monkey POX. Old town Bucharest was flipping wild at night with people shoulder to shoulder in the streets. -

I mated the 80% lower with a Colt Upper, barrel and a MI combat rail with a Sionics BCG.

Extremely pleased that it functioned 100% and shoots exactly like you’d expect a Colt barrel to shoot.

Bonus footage verifying zero on my Steyr AUG M3.

Last edited by HKGuns; 07-09-22 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    I used the 5D. The cutter shit the bed about halfway through. They sent me a brand new one free of charge.

I hit the inside of mine with Krylon flat black.
    Last edited by joelad; 07-10-22 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    Really nice work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelad View Post
    I used the 5D. The cutter shit the bed about halfway through. They sent me a brand new one free of charge.

Had a similar issue. We had about 6 lowers to do and the cutter didn't make it through the first one. Even with constantly keeping it wet. One guy worked the router while the other guy worked the WD40 lol. Still made for some chatter that need to be cleaned up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joelad View Post

I've done three lowers on the same mill so far......and it is cutting each one the same as the first. In fact, after the last one was cut I nearly cut myself putting the little rubber do-dad back on the mill.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567