Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Revolver guy thinking about buying one

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Non Revolver guy thinking about buying one

So I have never really had any interest in revolvers. I wouldn’t carry one, late start in shooting due to geography, old tech, etc etc. Until I shot a friend’s old Model 10 in .38 recently. I really enjoyed it and it got me thinking about buying one. I mean, everyone should have at least one wheel gun, right?

Wandered into Basspro last night and saw a Colt Cobra in .357 which I really like the look of. Knowing nothing about revolvers, I am thinking about what I should be looking for? A smooth trigger is probably the most important thing to me along with not a super long pull. 3-4” looks the right size, not too bothered about stainless or blue either way. Leaning more towards Colt or S&W but open to other brands. Useage is just plinking but I want something that is quality. Hoping to stay under a grand.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm a 'non-revolver guy' too. But, I did buy a .357 S&W 586 about 20 years ago because I thought that I should own a revolver. It's fun to shoot .38's through it. I've always like the look of revolvers; Pythons especially. Then a few years ago, I bought a Taylor & Co. Smoke Wagon, which is a 1873 SA-type revolver. I had been watching too many Westerns on Netflix. It's fun to shoot as well, and I find loading a single action revolver kind of 'relaxing' as it's a very deliberate task, kind of like shooting a bolt action.
    586:

Smoke Wagon

Feedback Score
    You should look into the Rugers as well. They are very strong frames. The Redhawk, GP100 and SP101 are all solid. Same goes for the discontinued Speed Six/Security Six

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Non Revolver guy thinking about buying one

If you want to carry it for SD, then a 2”-3” barrel is good. For a range gun, 4”-6” is better, and I think a 4” barrel is a great all-around size. I recently bought a S&W 686+ in March and it’s enjoyable to shoot, but it’s still hard to find ammo in 38 special.

Rugers are good too, I have a Blackhawk in .357, and I agree there’s something nostalgic about a Single Action revolver.
    Last edited by tucsondirt; 08-14-21 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been thinking about revolvers lately, as well. I keep coming back to the Ruger LCR. I really, really want to like the Colt Night Cobra because I love everything about it’s style and how it looks.. but I don’t know how much I trust the new Colts (Cobra, Python, etc.) and have seen some reviews that kind of confirm whatever biases I have about them.

I’m pretty positive I’ll end up buying a Ruger of some kind, as I’ve been crushing on the SP101 Wiley Clapp model, as well… but I’d bet on me walking out of my LGS with an LCR in the next few weeks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a slight revolver addiction. The biggest issue these days is you can burn a ton of money shooting them if you don’t reload. I’m a Colt fan, their trigger mechanism is different than Smith and Wesson and a lot of people don’t like it as much, but it’s always felt good to me. You will find way more accessories for a Smith and Wesson though. The Cobra is a great gun, I like the high vis front sight. You may find you have a POI vs POA shift at any distance shooting fixed sighted Colts or Smiths with .38 range ammo—when you have a 400fps discrepancy between different loads there is just no way for the factory to get fixed sights that are great with everything load.

I would try and handle a 686 too, and just get whichever feels best to you. Both are great quality. New and lightly used Model 10s are a classic and also relatively easy to find—if you liked shooting that one it’s an all time classic.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nothing beats a tuned, or we’ll broken in K or L frame S&W Double Action trigger.
    About all you’d see on the line at PPC or NRA Action Pistol matches In the day.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-15-21 at 06:08.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I guess things really do go full circle. I carried an issued S&W Model 28-2 “Highway Patrolman” (6” bbl) and twelve spare rounds on my duty belt for ten years. Had a couple Academy classmates put them to good use too. Also carried a Winchester Model 12 Riot Gun and a S&W Model 36 “Chief’s Special” long before back-ups were authorized.

Now that I’m retired my edc is a S&W Model 442-2 “Centennial Airweight”.

Buy a good DA revolver so you can get an idea what “old school” is all about.

Feedback Score
    Most gun enthusiasts should have at least one revolver in their collection. They are old school, traditional, cool, fun, and even practical. Mine is a S&W 627 eight shot .357, if you're only purchasing one, this one fills quite a few functions.

Feedback Score

This is an old pic. I have added to these.

The cobra is a great gun. Smooth trigger, nice sights and comfortable to handle. You can use 357 Magnum, 38 +P or 38 Special.

My concern is finding reasonably priced ammunition to feed it right now.

The Rugers are built very heavy so the Redhawk 357 Magnum can handle the hottest loads available. But the Ruger has a mediocre trigger.

Taurus actually has a decent trigger and I rate it higher than a Ruger.

I have owned the Ruger LCR but the shape made my hands sting after 150-200 rounds of 38 +P ammunition.

The Kimber K6S is another one to consider. But the grips also tend to make you feel a sting after 100 rounds of 357 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast