Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Revolver guy thinking about buying one

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    I’ve been thinking about revolvers lately, as well. I keep coming back to the Ruger LCR. I really, really want to like the Colt Night Cobra because I love everything about it’s style and how it looks.. but I don’t know how much I trust the new Colts (Cobra, Python, etc.) and have seen some reviews that kind of confirm whatever biases I have about them.

I’m pretty positive I’ll end up buying a Ruger of some kind, as I’ve been crushing on the SP101 Wiley Clapp model, as well… but I’d bet on me walking out of my LGS with an LCR in the next few weeks.
    My LCR 357 is my “fishing” carry gun. Nice revolver, easy to shoot, handles recoil well, but I would not call it a range gun.
    If you buy one, I think you will like it.

Feedback Score
    One nice thing about revolvers is that the public tends to find them less "scary" than autos. Especially glocks and the like. It's freaking stupid but it's true. If you are not gonna be able to conceal 100%, they draw less attention. They also make great guns for the glove box, console, etc.

Never underestimate public perception. The relatively mild look is a great reason to own revolvers and a mini 14.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A fine tuned revolver is really a joy to shoot. My old PPC Distinguished Service 6 inch Model 19-5 that was worked over by the late George Wessinger will bring tears to your eyes when you squeeze off a shot, in both double and single action. It is that sweet.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks to all. Ton of good info here for me to digest. I need to figure out the frame differences on S&W. Also, what else to avoid? Seems the internal lock debate is well contested.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    S&W K-frames police trade-ins in .38 SPL are usually plentiful and affordable. Generally speaking, being LE guns, the finish may be worn but the mechanics should be sound. I picked up a model 64 a few years ago for less than $300 and it has one of the smoothest triggers I've ever felt in a revolver- including $4000 custom jobs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Thanks to all. Ton of good info here for me to digest. I need to figure out the frame differences on S&W. Also, what else to avoid? Seems the internal lock debate is well contested.
    I get why people don’t like the internal lock, but I personally don’t think it’s a realistic failure point. The drama sizes from small to large are J, K, L and N—the J frames are 5 shot snubs in .38 or .357. Here is a picture for comparison. The only thing missing is an L frame, but it’s in my truck and it’s raining. The K and L frames are very close, the L frame is just a slightly beefed up K frame for high round count .357 Magnum shooting. The two blued guns are both K frames, the top one is a round butt M13, the bottom is a square butt. Modern production guns are almost all round butts, but you can buy grips that fit the frame and give a square butt feel. I personally like the round butt feel, especially in a K or L frame, and they conceal better if that matters to you. I tossed in a G23 for reference.

A416A665-8CE2-4EF0-9048-930D6142F7EC.jpeg
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I get why people don’t like the internal lock, but I personally don’t think it’s a realistic failure point. The drama sizes from small to large are J, K, L and N—the J frames are 5 shot snubs in .38 or .357. Here is a picture for comparison. The only thing missing is an L frame, but it’s in my truck and it’s raining. The K and L frames are very close, the L frame is just a slightly beefed up K frame for high round count .357 Magnum shooting. The two blued guns are both K frames, the top one is a round butt M13, the bottom is a square butt. Modern production guns are almost all round butts, but you can buy grips that fit the frame and give a square butt feel. I personally like the round butt feel, especially in a K or L frame, and they conceal better if that matters to you. I tossed in a G23 for reference.

I dig that 13 HB
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! I’ve had it for years, it’s exceptionally smooth. A little beat up, but one of the last guns I would sell.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Non Revolver guy thinking about buying one

Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post

Thanks for the visual reference, very helpful. I like the first K frame, seems like a decent size. If I could find a reasonably priced LE trade in similar that would probably about perfect.

Not too worried about ammo. I can probably borrow a buddies 550 38sp tool head and knock some out easily. Irony is I sold it to him cheap when I picked it up used with the press, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Nothing beats a tuned, or well broken in K or L frame S&W Double Action trigger.
    About all you’d see on the line at PPC or NRA Action Pistol matches In the day.
    Probably opening a can of worms here but what kind of work can you have done on a S&W? I’m assuming fluff and buff on the triggers parts to start.
    Last edited by Vegas; 08-16-21 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post

This is an old pic. I have added to these.

The cobra is a great gun. Smooth trigger, nice sights and comfortable to handle. You can use 357 Magnum, 38 +P or 38 Special.

My concern is finding reasonably priced ammunition to feed it right now.

The Rugers are built very heavy so the Redhawk 357 Magnum can handle the hottest loads available. But the Ruger has a mediocre trigger.

Taurus actually has a decent trigger and I rate it higher than a Ruger.

I have owned the Ruger LCR but the shape made my hands sting after 150-200 rounds of 38 +P ammunition.

The Kimber K6S is another one to consider. But the grips also tend to make you feel a sting after 100 rounds of 357 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Very cool collection!

Curious about these two. What are the details?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast