Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey runners .... what am I doing wrong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hey runners .... what am I doing wrong

I didn't want to put this in the weighted running topic but it got me thinking and I've been meaning to ask this for some time now but always forget.

I've been running steadily since November. My original goal was to move more. Of course the ultimate goal was to be more fit, loose some weight but the immediate outcome was mainly to counter a lot of the sitting that I was doing, especially after I quit smoking.

The idea was to do something every day. Alternate between running one day and a long walk the next.

I started on a treadmill walking than fast walking and after a few weeks built it up to a jog then a longer jog then a faster jog....etc.. I end up staying on the treadmill between 1 - 1.5 hrs because even though Im going into the 9th month I still can't consistently jog/light run more than 3/4 mile. On a good day I can do 1 mile and there have been one or two occasions where I did 1.25 miles.

What happens is my feet, between the heel and calf muscle would start to burn and hurt. Mostly on the inside but also on the outside. At first I thought it was sore muscles then I thought it was my shoes. I went to specifically a running store, tried on several pairs of running shoes, they all felt more or less the same, and bought one. Now it seems a little better but not by much.

What ends up happening now is I run at about 5 (from 1-10 with 4 being the cut of point where it's too fast for speed walking but too slow for an actual run) until I go ouch ouch ouch which usually happens around 3/4 mile mark and then I just speed walk or if it's not too bad I'll do sprints.

I warm up every time and I stretch right before. When I run I'm mostly on the balls of my feet. My heel touches but only barely and I favor the inside of my foot. However, the pain is random. Today can be on the inside tomorrow can be one inside one outside, the next day switches....etc..

At this point after almost a year I'm thinking it's something more than just sore muscle from lack of use.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Most likely tendonitis in your Achilles. Lots of possibilities as to why. Could be you just need better arch support, but if it is as chronic as it sounds I'd see a doc. You don't want to push it too far and end up with a rupture.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Most likely tendonitis in your Achilles. Lots of possibilities as to why. Could be you just need better arch support, but if it is as chronic as it sounds I'd see a doc. You don't want to push it too far and end up with a rupture.
    I wish I could post pictures or a diagram but for whatever reason Tapatalk won't let me.

I had to look that up. And by the diagrams it's the soleus muscle or the Fibularis brevis. Or at least in those areas.....on the sides. Only happens with running. I can speed walk all day, I can do sprints without problem

EDIT
    OMG it worked. Only took 20 min of repeated uploading.

Highlighted in red
    Last edited by Arik; 08-15-21 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe try taking video of your stride. It may be a cadence issue which could be causing your stride to be too long. But I’ll tell you what I’ve found to be tremendously helpful for me and aches and pains with running. Trail running. Any repetitive use issues (ITBS) went away when I started exclusively trail running. And by “trail” I mean rocky, rooted, hiking trails. It will force you to be more intentional with your movements, shorten your stride (increase cadence), and the setting makes it so much more enjoyable. I generally don’t stretch before I run. I go out at an easy pace until I feel like I’m ready, then pick it up. I’ll walk at the end to cool down. My stretching consists of using the wheels of my truck to stretch calves and I drop my tailgate to do a modified pigeon stretch. That one does a good job on glutes, quads, and hamstrings. Treadmills are like torture to me, mentally and physically. The only time I use them is if I have some energy after lifting, I’ll do 4-6 fast 400’s with .10 mile walk between. Running is a love hate hobby. Do it if you like it, but there are definitely better ways to burn fat and increase your level of cardio.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    . Running is a love hate hobby. Do it if you like it, but there are definitely better ways to burn fat and increase your level of cardio.
    That's exactly how I stretch only I use steps.

I'm using a treadmill as cardio because I have one and running is free and doesn't have limited space, mask mandates or closing times...and of course I don't have to look like a Quasimodo in public. . Mentally it is a bit of a torture but I find a long but interesting podcast and that helps

I've actually started stair climbing as a substitute. I just walk up and down from the 1st to the 2nd floor. I'll alternate between casual to faster to skipping a step. It allows me to do it while I'm working since I'm basically near the computer but it's kinda annoying especially with a velcro dog

Last edited by Arik; 08-15-21 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I wish I could post pictures or a diagram but for whatever reason Tapatalk won't let me.

I had to look that up. And by the diagrams it's the soleus muscle or the Fibularis brevis. Or at least in those areas.....on the sides. Only happens with running. I can speed walk all day, I can do sprints without problem

EDIT
    OMG it worked. Only took 20 min of repeated uploading.

Highlighted in red
    Sounds like you have shin splints. Over tight soleus can cause it. Take it easy for a while us RICE. Get a Theragun or a decent knock off, and jackhammer those suckers. I find TENS stimulators helpful. Hit the trails!
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 08-15-21 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I can only speak from my own experience... Ditch the treadmill if it is bouncy. Quasimodo it up in the real world with varying pitches and angles.

A year in and still having pain does sound somewhat alarming but soreness should also be expected since you're adding distance/time.

Try a road run and see how it feels. The judgy people staring at you have no idea how far you've been running. Unless of course they see you leave your house and gas 50 yards later, lol. Been there.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 08-15-21 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I didn't want to put this in the weighted running topic but it got me thinking and I've been meaning to ask this for some time now but always forget.

I've been running steadily since November. My original goal was to move more. Of course the ultimate goal was to be more fit, loose some weight but the immediate outcome was mainly to counter a lot of the sitting that I was doing, especially after I quit smoking.

The idea was to do something every day. Alternate between running one day and a long walk the next.

I started on a treadmill walking than fast walking and after a few weeks built it up to a jog then a longer jog then a faster jog....etc.. I end up staying on the treadmill between 1 - 1.5 hrs because even though Im going into the 9th month I still can't consistently jog/light run more than 3/4 mile. On a good day I can do 1 mile and there have been one or two occasions where I did 1.25 miles.

What happens is my feet, between the heel and calf muscle would start to burn and hurt. Mostly on the inside but also on the outside. At first I thought it was sore muscles then I thought it was my shoes. I went to specifically a running store, tried on several pairs of running shoes, they all felt more or less the same, and bought one. Now it seems a little better but not by much.

What ends up happening now is I run at about 5 (from 1-10 with 4 being the cut of point where it's too fast for speed walking but too slow for an actual run) until I go ouch ouch ouch which usually happens around 3/4 mile mark and then I just speed walk or if it's not too bad I'll do sprints.

I warm up every time and I stretch right before. When I run I'm mostly on the balls of my feet. My heel touches but only barely and I favor the inside of my foot. However, the pain is random. Today can be on the inside tomorrow can be one inside one outside, the next day switches....etc..

At this point after almost a year I'm thinking it's something more than just sore muscle from lack of use.
    How old are you and what's your height and weight? What is your goal? Since you mentioned the training weighted thread, is that something you're doing?

At first glance, 1-1.5 hours on the treadmill is WAY too long and represents a lack of training intensity. Your issues (pain) are over use injuries. Your long walks are interfering with your ability to recover from your runs.

Its very hard to shotgun guesses as to what ligament/muscle belly can be giving you an issue since they're all linked to the calf which could be the culprit given those long walks.

I would very strongly suggest running intervals.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    How old are you and what's your height and weight? What is your goal? Since you mentioned the training weighted thread, is that something you're doing?

At first glance, 1-1.5 hours on the treadmill is WAY too long and represents a lack of training intensity. Your issues (pain) are over use injuries. Your long walks are interfering with your ability to recover from your runs.

Its very hard to shotgun guesses as to what ligament/muscle belly can be giving you an issue since they're all linked to the calf which could be the culprit given those long walks.

I would very strongly suggest running intervals.
    41 6'1 about 205

My goal was simply to be active. Or to not be sedentary. And loose a little weight (I've never seen an out of shape soccer or basketball player). Work changes, weather changes, gyms (were) iffy but I already had a treadmill at home which I could use at any time including during work since I'm working from home now. It was the cheapest, fastest, most convenient and easiest way to get exercise.

I mentioned that thread because it came up on my "unread posts" which reminded me to ask about my problem.

I can walk all day, all week. I'm not that out of shape! . When I do I don't have any pain the next day and I can easily repeat the same thing the next day which is why I was going back to it. Otherwise my exercise would be 5 min. I do a 1/4 mile warm up then set the thing to 5 and try to get a good run in. By "good" I mean better than 1/2 mile because usually by then I'm starting to feel that burning in my legs and by 3/4 to 1 mile I have to stop. Every once in a while I can get to 1 mile with very little to no pain like it's just starting to but I never got past 1.25 mile. So with the walking at least I get in some more instead of just 5-7 min which barely starts to break a sweat.

So far I've tried on/off every other day. Run/walk every other day. A mix of both every day. However at this point I'm also hitting a plateau where my weight doesn't change.

I can understand this happening in the beginning but I've been at it consistently since Nov 2020. Instead every day it feels like the first day. I can't proceed further but I'm not loosing weight either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think you like many are stuck in the dogmatic idea that things like running are the best route for fat loss. People in the fitness world have been preaching the opposite for quite a while, and the science has finally caught up to prove them correct. Building muscle is far superior to fat loss and body recomposition than long steady state cardio. Even if you don’t want to join a gym, you can make good progress with body weight exercises. Maybe buy yourself a 35lb kettle bell. You can whoop your our ass with that one piece alone. I’m a sample size of one and here is what I experienced. As an experiment, I’ve taken all distance running out of my life around the middle of April. I’ve then used the extra free time to resistance train even more. I dropped 2% body fat and put on more muscle. I’m at the point where I’m seriously contemplating adding fast food to my diet just to be able to meet my calories for the day (3500-4500). You definitely should be tracking your food. Maybe not forever, but it definitely helps you build a better understanding of what and how much your eating.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 08-16-21 at 10:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast