Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey runners .... what am I doing wrong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I think you like many are stuck in the dogmatic idea that things like running are the best route for fat loss. People in the fitness world have been preaching the opposite for quite a while, and the science has finally caught up to prove them correct. Building muscle is far superior to fat loss and body decomposition than long steady state cardio. Even if you don’t want to join a gym, you can make good progress with body weight exercises. Maybe buy yourself a 35lb kettle bell. You can whoop your our ass with that one piece alone. I’m a sample size of one and here is what I experienced. As an experiment, I’ve taken all distance running out of my life around the middle of April. I’ve then used the extra free time to resistance train even more. I dropped 2% body fat and put on more muscle. I’m at the point where I’m seriously contemplating adding fast food to my diet just to be able to meet my calories for the day (3500-4500). You definitely should be tracking your food. Maybe not forever, but it definitely helps you build a better understanding of what and how much your eating.
    I've been tracking food for almost a year now. The only thing I don't track are greens. I'm not weighing, measuring, counting spinach and broccoli! Think it's something like 220 days with the occasional day not counted.

I don't have the space to swing a kettlebell. I can do anything slightly above head hight without being careful about the ceiling! If I just raise my hand up I can touch the ceiling without standing on my toes.

I'm certainly not going to argue with professionals in the fitness world it's just that I've never seen a fat marathon runner, soccer player, basketball player... Not to say they don't do anything else except run but that is a huge part of what they do. At the time it was the easiest thing to do. It just required getting up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you know this guy?

He runs a lot. He’s run marathons. He’s doing the New York marathon this year. Don’t judge yourself against soccer, basketball, or marathoners regardless of their level. If you’re goal is to be in the best shape YOU can possibly be, spending hours a week running is probably the least efficient way to go. You know what you’re not seeing with soccer or basketball players? All the time they spend weight training. Marathoners do very minimal weight training and that’s obvious because they’re not strong people. They’re efficient. Don’t confuse that with overall fitness. If you want to be a distance runner you can, but it’s highly unlikely that it’s going to be a pain free pursuit. If you grind at it enough, with every physical activity, you’ll learn to distinguish between pain and injury. Like I said before, if you want to run, run. Do it because it’s fun and you want to be a better runner. Watch videos on form and cadence. Listen to your body. Dial things back, put effort into recovery. Or, if you just want to be healthy, strong, and look good naked every other option is better than running.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    At 205 you would be almost in the center of what we called "Clydesdale"-class for triathlon training.

Heed what you've read about RICE.

Get someone who knows what they're doing look at your running gait. You may need shoes specifically for heifer-sized heavy bodies, typically with shock-absorbing gel intersoles. I prefer HOKA One-ones. You'll need two sets of shoes to rotate, and new shoes at 300 miles.

I hate running. At 205 and adding weight (in the form of a vest or pack) you're looking to abuse hips, knees, shins, and spine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wanted to add on some more about the kettle bell. Your low ceilings take out overhead motions. That’s fine, you can still do a circuit of swings, Turkish getups, goblet squats, one arm rows, cleans, suitcase carry. You will definitely increase strength and cardio doing that. Your heart and lungs don’t know if you’re running or lifting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12