Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 5.56 and 7.62 cans to buy?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What 5.56 and 7.62 cans to buy?

Hi all,

Am going to be diving into the NFA game for the first time, and I would love some opinions on what are the best cans to buy for 5.56 and 7.62 ARs.

My priorities are light weight, maneuverability, and low gas blowback. Sound suppression is, obviously, also a concern at the ear specifically, but secondary to maneuverability and minimal blowback. I'm not opposed to direct thread cans, as each can will likely remain with its host.

I've been pondering the offerings from Thermal Defense and OSS, but am also contemplating the Dead Air Nomad Ti for it's light weight. Have no idea what any of these cans are like at the ear, and whether the Nomad is any good as far as blowback goes.

Thank you for your input.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The pew science data is really looking like the Hyperion-K is pretty near the top for those criteria.

Nomad-ti is really more for hunting than tactical shooting. Nomad-30 has the same sound signature though and is only a few ounces heavier.

That said, when the new Sig SLX line comes out I'll really be curious to see the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have two OSS 7.62 on a 308 16” and 6.8 wildcat (tac30) 13.5”. Both sounds good on them. I did place one of the oss on 6.8 Spc ii 12.5” and didn’t like the sound. I haven’t shot them on a 5.56 yet not sure how it would sound on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    The pew science data is really looking like the Hyperion-K is pretty near the top for those criteria.

Nomad-ti is really more for hunting than tactical shooting. Nomad-30 has the same sound signature though and is only a few ounces heavier.

That said, when the new Sig SLX line comes out I'll really be curious to see the data.

The Pew science does seem to like the CGS cans, but all their testing is with bolt guns. The CGS cans are quiet, but I imagine that suppression comes at the price of lots of gas impulse and gas to the face.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Given your criteria, I'd look at the Surefire offerings. I've been pleased with mine concerning blowback and mounting. The minis are quite maneuverable on longer barrels as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The Pew science does seem to like the CGS cans, but all their testing is with bolt guns. The CGS cans are quiet, but I imagine that suppression comes at the price of lots of gas impulse and gas to the face.
    True. We are still waiting on semi auto and 556 test data.

That said, the Hyperion-K has very low back pressure so I expect it to perform very well on a semi auto.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...re-suppression

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    True. We are still waiting on semi auto and 556 test data.

That said, the Hyperion-K has very low back pressure so I expect it to perform very well on a semi auto.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...re-suppression

What's unfortunate is that the CGS cans with the flow through caps attached seem to perform significantly worse than the OSS cans on sound suppression. With the solid end caps, they perform better on sound, but much worse on gas. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

ETA: The Hyperion-K seems to be an outlier. Good sound performance, light weight, and low gas impulse. Hmm.
    Last edited by georgeib; 08-16-21 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    Im a huge fan of 556 mini cans for 11.5 and longer barrels.

Id also look at the vox s for 7.62, depending on use. If you are not shooting heavily, you might be better off with a Ti can. Last I checked, the onega was still one if the lightest, quietest cans out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone have any experience with Trash Panda? Or the OSS cans for that matter?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Trash Panda? Or the OSS cans for that matter?
    I have both. The trash panda is on a 6.8 12.5” and oss is on a 16” 308 and another oss on tac30 13.5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast