Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump shotgun.. where to mount a light?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLips View Post
    Is it best to mount it on the barrel/ magazine tube? or to the forend itself? I'm considering barrel/ mag tube just to keep the light stable and pointed at what I want it pointed at. But then I worry about heat from the barrel affecting the light and it's mount. Recommendations please!
    On pump-action shotguns, I will no longer even think about a light mounted to the barrel or magazine tube. I have bobbled activation too many times through minor errors that could have had major consequences in defensive use. I like the idea of the integreal Surefire light/mount, but it is not for me for a couple of reasons.

My current solution is running a TLR-1 (an X300 works equally well) using a short section of picatinny rail placed in the furthermost forward slot of a Magpul M-Lok MOE forend. The result is simple, relatively cheap, the light can be quickly installed/removed, and the switch is always in the same place respective to my support hand... which it clears by enough that I don't bash my digits.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went cheap and used the Magpul + cantilever & vee block + a Coast LED that accepts lithium AA. Been to several a few years worth of local 3 gun matches and turkey hunting without problems and never has been anywhere in a padded case.

One catch with Magpul on the 870 is a sling mount and mag tube extension combo(Wilson Combat and others) can't be used because the front of the forearm needs to sleeve over the end of the mag tube and the sling loop will be in the way. If you want a sling on an extension with their forearm it will have to be one of the barrel/mag tube clamp types.

Just thought of another possible interference issue.

This type of Uncle Mike's sling swivel

https://unclemikes.com/most-pumps-autos/

Works fine with the sling in place(forearm contacts the sling and shoves everything out of place) or the QD sling swivel removed...either of which are going to be the overwhelming normal. If only the sling is removed and the swivel left in place, the swivel can(and will at some point) align just wrong and prevent the forearm from moving fully to lock up.

And thanks to theorangecat for the correct and clarifying "sling plate". I kept thinking there was a better way to say it than "loop" while typing, but it just wasn't clicking.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-20-21 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    One catch with Magpul on the 870 is a sling mount and mag tube extension combo(Wilson Combat and others) can't be used because the front of the forearm needs to sleeve over the end of the mag tube and the sling loop will be in the way. If you want a sling on an extension with their forearm it will have to be one of the barrel/mag tube clamp types.
    That is a good reminder. Many (though not all, IIRC) of the tubes with sling "plates" (as well as stand-alone "plates" that sandwich between the barrel ring and the magazine cap) can be problematic with the Magpul forend. I went back to using the factory extension and clamp with a QD stud, and I sort of spaced out on that potential issue with other hardware.

Wilson/Scattergun used to - maybe still does - offer a +1 extension with a QD stud centered in the end that easily clears the Magpul forend. I really liked that particular Wilson +1 extension back when I was running one.

Slinging a pump shotgun that has been "aftermarketed" requires the operator to put the end result through its paces seriously before calling the setup "good." If there is an issue with a sling or its hardware, a pump gun will generally find it. That goes for lights and mounts, too.
    Last edited by theorangecat; 10-20-21 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I mounted a GGG Rail on the fore end of my 870 Wingmaster. Clean simple and many options to mount lights to the rail.

IMG_7546.jpeg

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    ... I use mag tube clamp style (Nordic, and another brand I can't recall right now...I'll edit once I get home and find the package) on my 1187 and Nova, and a GG&G rail/sling mount that mounts under the magazine cap on my SuperNova. The lights have withstood being mounted inline with my flash suppressor on my AR's, so they should be able to handle heat radiated from the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    +1 for GG&G mount with a tail cap clicky.
    Me, too... Mine is mounted like KWB's, but with a tail cap switch, on the left side (I'm a righty, and I can easily push the tail cap button with my left hand).

For all the headaches of pump shotguns and flashlights, I think the solution is a semi-auto...
    Last edited by Bimmer; 11-01-21 at 16:38.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12