Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech Overheating?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nevermind. Don’t feed the troll.
    Last edited by 1168; 08-29-21 at 02:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When I was still training I had nothing but bad experiences with Eotechs to the point that I quit messing with them. I would just have the student take it off and run irons. Because if you’re going to depend on an EoTech, you need to be good with irons.

I understand that some SOF use them, and that’s wonderful.

But in an LE and regular joe environment, they are among the least reliable optics I’ve ever seen, no matter the model.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    When I was still training I had nothing but bad experiences with Eotechs to the point that I quit messing with them. I would just have the student take it off and run irons. Because if you’re going to depend on an EoTech, you need to be good with irons.

I understand that some SOF use them, and that’s wonderful.

But in an LE and regular joe environment, they are among the least reliable optics I’ve ever seen, no matter the model.
    Was this along time ago? Even in big army arms rooms, there are tons of old 512s still being used that are best to shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Do you believe the government makes the best decisions all the time? Do you see the recent stellar decision in the media? Don't forget who's using them and for what. At short range it works, and if it doesn't then the service member gets another one. Easy to sing the praises of something you don't buy and appears to work for your intended role. Overall, they're dogshit compared to Aimpoint or Trijicon offerings.

Yes, because all service members are well informed and switched on gear/gun guys. Lusting after shit means absolutely nothing, especially when credibility is involved.
    So let me get this straight. The SOF guys who use this these things in conditions you would likely need constant diaper changes in, pick EOTech. But YOU in your boundless wisdom, say that that THEY don't know what's best for them? Okey dokey then...
    Last edited by georgeib; 08-29-21 at 06:05.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Was this along time ago? Even in big army arms rooms, there are tons of old 512s still being used that are best to shit.

Up through 2014.

Seems like they would last as long as they were gonna last no matter how hard they were used or not even used.

Feedback Score
    Eotech addressed their shortcomings in around 2017. Units made after 2017 are much improved units that have proven reliable. By the way, all optics have some thermal drift.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    So let me get this straight. The SOF guys who use this these things in conditions you would likely need constant diaper changes in, pick EOTech. But YOU in your boundless wisdom, say that that THEY don't know what's best for them? Okey dokey then...
    Your comprehension skills are lacking. No where did I say I know what's best for anyone. What I did say is that servicemen don't pick nor pay for their gear. They use what's issued. the SOF community has more lattitude in selection than regular units. That doesn't mean the members are well versed in the particulars of their gear. An SOF guy running an Eotech(and a PEQ of some sort with IR and visible lasers , and irons) for CQB work under NOD's within a team environment is not the same as Joe Public needing a reliable optic for HD, hog hunting, competition etc. I'm not posting my wisdom, I'm posting the hard facts that EOTech admitted to when they got caught and sued by the gov. Their optics have been shit almost from day one. They offer zero advantages over other reliable red dot brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Eotech addressed their shortcomings in around 2017. Units made after 2017 are much improved units that have proven reliable. By the way, all optics have some thermal drift.
    Nope, they weren't. They removed some of their claimed specs for the sights, but problems of parasitic battery drain and reticle dimming continue. They admit the reticle adjustment subtensions are "approximately 1/2 MOA". Submersible to 33 feet, compared to Aimpoint sights which range from 80-150 feet for the Acro, M4, T1, M5, and PRO. Eotech sights weigh more, are larger dimensionally and have pathetic battery life by comparison. And of course, they lied to the world and sold defective sights for nearly a decade. It's your money, but I see nothing special about them and wouldn't give my money to a company that puts lives at risk in exchange for profit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    They offer zero advantages over other reliable red dot brands.
    • They are better suited for use for passive aiming under NODs, due to window size, superior light transmission, and switchology.
    • They have a center dot that is much smaller than any RDS, making them able to aim at finer points when using a magnifier.

Pretty niche, but not zero. I switched from an Aimpoint CompM5 to an EOTech EXPS3-2 specifically to optimize one of my SBRs for NODs use. I would loved to have grabbed a Vortex UH-1 GEN II instead, but the UH-1 sadly seemed like it remained the inferior product for use with NODs, splitting the performance difference between an EXPS and a CompM4.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-06-21 at 19:43.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Eotech Overheating?

The 65 MOA circle also tends to get shooters on target faster.

But that’s not a real advantage according to the hard facts so guess I’ll go **** myself.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The 65 MOA circle also tends to get shooters on target faster.
    I had originally listed that as an advantage, but took it out after some thought since there are enough RDSes that can do that kind of reticle to not let it be a strictly EOTech advantage, such as the MRO HD, the various Holosuns, and some of the SIGs.

Thought I suppose the Leupold LCO allegedly also does pretty does pretty well for passive aiming under NODs, besides the switchology part.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast