Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eotech Overheating?

Feedback Score
    I will chime in here as a civilian shooter.

I read over the court case and the complaints long before this thread. What L3/Eotech did to cover up their issues was disgraceful. This involved not just the US military but also our allies. I am shocked the military is still buying their stuff (or even allowed to). L3 must have hired good lobbyists. I will never buy their holographic sights or bet my life on one period.

My old 552 had thermal drift and other issues (sent it back to Eotech twice for repair before I sold it). At the time of course, I had no idea that it was not holding zero due to thermal drift of course. I always assumed it was the elevation/windage adjustments or something else. I liked the speed and the reticle design of the Eotech, but with training, I have found I can shoot my Aimpoints just as fast, and my Kahles 1-6x/Steiner 1-4x nearly as fast. This comes from taking carbine courses (Gunsite, LAV etc) including night shoots. Everyone here will agree that training is the key. Aimpoint makes such a bomb proof product (of course anything can break) it is hard for me to use anything else.

For those of you who run night vision, I suggest trying an Aimpoint on a higher mount. I have friends that do (police/mil types) and appear to have good success with it. I am too cheap to spend $5-10k on NVGs/Thermal for hog hunting lol

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    For those of you who run night vision, I suggest trying an Aimpoint on a higher mount. I have friends that do (police/mil types) and appear to have good success with it.
    It's not the same. Yes, an Aimpoint on a high mount is perfectly serviceable, but it's more of a 90% when compared to the EOTech, in my very limited experience.

As others have alluded to, the EOTech provides the best light transmission of any RDS I've tried so far, due to both the holographic technology used, which does not require the same types of lens coatings as projected LED dots, and bears more resemblance to a fighter aircraft's HUD than most other red dot sights available on the market.

Moreover, both the housing size and shape translate to better light transmission as well as field of view--not only is the EOTech's housing and protective outer hood thin, and designed to allow some light to pass through, the rectangular shape (as opposed to circular) means that more light can get "past" the optic housing due to asymmetry between the image intensifier's field of view and the optic. A circular FOV essentially creates a concentric "blockage" that ultimately prevents more light from reaching the image intensifier's objective lens, leading to a darker overall image--even if the optic housing is only "seen" as a blur or shadow, it is still blocking valuable light from reaching the user when placed between the target and shooter.

Night vision compatible EOTechs also not only have the convenient "NV" button that allows you to immediately switch between daylight brightness and passive NV use, but the buttons also "remember" the brightness settings, meaning you don't have to cycle through to find the "right" setting as much as you would on a rheostat dial.

Moreover, the NV-compatible EOTechs have ten brightness settings for NV use, as opposed to the 2-4 that are common on most other dot optics, allowing you to more precisely dial the brightness for your environment and intended use. Having shot passive for quite a while, depending on environment and conditions, I've needed to dial the brightness back to the "bottom" of the NV settings in extremely dark conditions, to actually needing to go into lower visible settings in brighter environments.

Our daylight optics often have 8-12 daylight brightness settings based on variability of conditions, I see no reason why our NV optics should not also. Four is less than ideal, and two pretty much only works for pistol applications.

Different optics have their own advantages and disadvantages, and I use a lot of other optics, including for passive NV use, including T1s and T2s depending on what my particular needs are for that rifle--I am far from saying that the EOTech is the only serviceable optic for passive aiming use.

However, if performance and capabilities for passive NV shooting are the sole consideration, EOTechs are still the best I've used by a wide margin.

~Augee
    I have personally found that my CompM5 wouldn't cut it for passive aiming under extremely low light conditions (Bortle class 2, at the edge of making it to class 1), while one could squeak by with an EOTech.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Four pages on only one partial answer to my question.

I had a feeling this would bring out the Aimpoint fanboys. I guess some could not resist.
    I prefer the Eotech for what I am doing and I am much faster with it than an Aimpoint or a Holosun with the Eotech style reticle.

Anyway, Eotech has already shipped the optic back to me and charged nothing for a repair.

Feedback Score
    if the light is dim and the unit is hot, that says its a conductivity issue to me. you probably had a corroded connection somewhere, inducing resistance, constricting flow and heating the wiring. ever had an electrical problem in a car where itll start fine when cold, but not when hot? usually corroded battery terminals or a burnt cable (that continues to burn more every time its used)

glad eotech took care of you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Has anyone experienced an overheat issue on a EoTech EXPS3?

Shooting a competition the other day and my reticle was so faded that I though the optic was turned off.
    Replaced the battery and no change. I put my hand on the front of the optic and it was barley visible. Tuning it off and on had no effect.
    Swapped it out with another EXPS3 (new version) that was in my SUV and finished shooting the competition.

On the drive home I decided to hold my older EXPS in front of my a/c vent and behold....the sight became brighter.

I knew the older version of this optic had a recall for thermal drift but I am not aware of an overheat issue.
    To directly answer your question no. My old 552 failed to hold zero despite two trips back to L3/Eotech. This was pre-2017. People and the courts tell me now this was due to a design flaw. These sights do not handle heat and cold like Aimpoints can. It’s a function of the design of generating the holographic image vs a red dot (Aimpoint, Schmidt and Bender’s flash dot etc). Some technologies are not as resistant to extreme temperatures as others.

No I am not an Aimpoint fan boy (I am a Kahles fan boy for the record). I would not be surprised if your EXPS 3 still suffers from the same issues or had a simple manufacturing defect. For what its worth, I had a friend buy a new Eotech two years ago and after 4-5k rounds it already crapped out on him. Of course, I have seen Aimpoint Micros do the same from time to time but not like Eotech.

I hope L3 replaces your sight or fixes it. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I hope L3 replaces your sight or fixes it. Thanks
    L3 sold EOTech in March 2020.

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/03/2...holoptics-llc/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    My bad. Thanks for correcting me

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post

~SNIP~

Range estimation is best done without a reticle. John "shrek" McPhee explains it nicely. I'll summarize it.

100 yards- Humans have a face, details like eyes and mouth are discernable.
    200 yards- No face
    300 yards- Can't distinguish hands
    400 yards- No head, becomes part of the silhouette
    500 yards- No light between the legs when moving
    600 yards- Humans look like triangles.
    Suddenly a pearl of wisdom shines...

Thanks

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I realize that I am a small sample size, but I carried an EOTech on over 250 DA missions in Iraq in the mid-2000’s with zero issues. From the winter to the summer, no issues. I have an EXPS3 that I zeroed once three years ago. It has had the shit beat out of it on dozens of 5k and 10k run and guns- through water, rain, hot, cold, and altitude. Zero issues, and never re-zeroed.

The EOTech reticle is significantly faster than a single dot, particularly when moving. There is no debate there. It’s also significantly better under NODs. Again, zero debate. There is a reason why the greatest marksmen on the planet- Delta- use them.

I don’t think the drift issues themselves are as significant as the corporate reaction to them. No one is getting into gunfights at -40 degrees. No one is getting into gunfights at 140 degrees, either- despite the laughably inflated temperature numbers your cousin who was in the Marines told you. Most importantly, I can assure you who isn’t getting into gunfights at extreme temperatures- anyone reading this.

Mysteryman, stop quoting 10 minute videos from YouTube and worrying about shit that doesn’t matter.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    I am much faster with it than an Aimpoint or a Holosun with the Eotech style reticle.
    Why is that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast