Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else torn down a Draco and found rust?

Feedback Score

Anyone else torn down a Draco and found rust?

I pulled the pistol rear trunnion out of my mini Draco today. I was disappointed to find surface rust everywhere the trunnion was sandwiched against the receiver. Ick! Makes me want to rip the front out too and just start with a new blank. I'm sure the front trunnion area would be in the same condition.

Unfortunately my form 1 has all the info from the Draco. I'm really tempted to remove the front trunnion, clean the whole receiver and blue it. I've gotta weld up the rivet holes and do some finish work anyway. Jeez, I just wanna get it ready for a wire folder. Kinda disappointing. Who would have thought you would find such poor workmanship in a fine Romanian firearm.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sometimes it's dried cosmoline. I've had AKs with rust that I just wiped off and that was that. I would just spray it down, run a brush, wipe, oil and proceed

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Sometimes it's dried cosmoline. I've had AKs with rust that I just wiped off and that was that. I would just spray it down, run a brush, wipe, oil and proceed

Yeah, I wish. I think they finished it after rough assembly.

Feedback Score
    That's actually pretty common with factory AK's. The surfaces between the trunnions & receivers or barrel & barrel components are typically unfinished. Clean it, cold blue it and you're done. Well, except for the posting pictures of your creation part.
    Last edited by Bret; 08-19-21 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Running corrosive ammo?
    My 2015 Draco runs a lot of surplus Yugo m67 and not a bit of rust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    Running corrosive ammo?
    My 2015 Draco runs a lot of surplus Yugo m67 and not a bit of rust.
    No, I've actually only fired maybe 20 rounds through it. No corrosive. As a 7 inch pistol it just kinda sucks to shoot. IMO this thing has no good reason to exist outside of SBR build potential. It's been kept clean since while I waited on the form 1 to come back. I'm just getting started on the SBR conversion.

Feedback Score
    Guys, This has nothing to do with ammo. It's very common with Romanian AK's. They just typically finish them after assembly which leaves the hidden areas unfinished.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Guys, This has nothing to do with ammo. It's very common with Romanian AK's. They just typically finish them after assembly which leaves the hidden areas unfinished.
    Yup, I got that. I'm pulling the front as well. I'll clean it up and cold blue it. Mostly cause now I know that rust is gonna be there and it'll just bother me. Also because I WILL be running some corrosive ammo in it through the years since I have it in inventory.

Feedback Score
    Hey, I also didn't want to bag on AK pistol fans. For ME the mini Draco just sucks as a pistol, YMMV. The 11 inch Draco isn't so bad, but I'm still gonna SBR that one too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Hey, I also didn't want to bag on AK pistol fans. For ME the mini Draco just sucks as a pistol, YMMV. The 11 inch Draco isn't so bad, but I'm still gonna SBR that one too.
    Yep

Long before the Draco's became popular I bought a Bulgarian AK pistol. Now I know I overpaid for it but back in the very early 00s I thought it was the coolest thing ever.....until I went to shoot it. It's not really good for anything serious. About a decade later I sold it and went with an actual SBR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast