Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC a 1911

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This last spring and summer I have spent a bunch of time hiking in Grizzly and Black bear country. A frequent companion was my Les Baer P2 (or a Colt 80 Series) loaded with 250 grain hard cast flat points going a bit over 950 FPS (a +P load). I primarily carried them in my Milt Sparks 50th Anniversary Summer Special.

Will that take a Grizzly down, I've only ben in black bear territory? And running super heavy hot loads, do you worry about malfunctions? I think the reason so many like revolvers in back country.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-05-21 at 12:50.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Will that take a Grizzly down, I've only ben in black bear territory?
    A handgun against a grizzly is the last great act of defiance. If you're lucky enough and hit him in the skull, a heavy flat point hardcast bullet will penetrate into the brain and he'll drop. Hiking in the Rocky Mountains around Kalispell, MT we always take a dog, bear spray carried by each person, and 10mm autos loaded with Buffalo Bore hardcast flat nose ammo for each person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Taking a bear down with a .45 acp using +p hard cast or FMJ loads is possible. Bears have been taken with standard 9mm fmjs. Standing there and putting accurate fire on it as it’s charging you is an entirely different matter. In heavily wooded areas I’d putt 95% odds on the bear.

Feedback Score
    The best thing might be a mini gun or an a10 flying close air support to stop a griz.

In all honesty though if you’re only going to be using a handgun, go get a 500sw or 460sw, those revolvers are made to do that. But you have to be able to shoot it. A got who’d spent a lot of time in bear country told me not to try to shoot the head, shoot the front shoulder and take that out, they’ll go down if you do it and it’s easier to hit than the head. No idea if it’s the truth or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The reason not to shoot a griz in the head as he charges you is due to the dished shape of his skull. Even heavy rounds can glance off. You might stun him for a second but it won't slow him down if he's really po'd. Shoot for the shoulder or the chest (if possible).
    I grew up hunting in griz country & have been closer than I wanted a couple of times before I saw the bear. They can cover 40 yards in just a few seconds. You MIGHT get off one shot if your lucky & calm. Proper respect is due them in their world.
    Black bears can be upwards of 500+ lbs out west. That old .45 might help you out but more than likely just make him madder. Luckily, black bears do all they can to avoid humans & if the rare chance one does attack, it's either sick or old.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No to the original question, not for some time now, for bears a 12ga w/slugs is appropriate, anything less is
    whistling past the graveyard !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    No to the original question, not for some time now, for bears a 12ga w/slugs is appropriate, anything less is
    whistling past the graveyard !
    I’d much rather have your choice, given the option but when in bear country I carry a 44 Mountain gun filled with 300 grain hard cast lead sitting on top of a healthy charge of 2400.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II
    The "Beltman" belt

Feedback Score
    I have carried a Sig tacops in 45ACP for years now will little to issue. Currently waiting on a new holster from LAG tactical so I can start using my x300u light from surefire. I have found using a good belt " vikings tactical" and quality holster the weight for me isn't really a problem.
    Last edited by zack991; 11-21-21 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    Not a 1911 but i daily a Staccato C2 with the gen 1 full size grip, running a tlr1hl and 509t. I carry in the tier 1 MSP Pro. As far as holster and belts, i always recommend Tier 1 or las concealment. QVO and tenicor are great as well. KORE and Nexbelt are the only belts i use, between the ratchet system and the ease of adjustment they have quickly became my go to belts

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast